• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Crunchyroll dependability

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:53 pm Reply with quote
I am a subscriber of Crunchyroll, but the lack of it being dependable is kind of really starting to annoy me. It feels like every weekend there is long stretches of time that the site is down, errors where it can't be displayed, server errors, errors in between where it logs me out. The website on a browser is bad enough, although sometimes I can refresh and get lucky, but my preference is via using the app on my Xbox One, and it can be super unreliable, that I can't use the website to watch shows when I want.

Does anyone know why it feels like it has gotten worse in the last couple of months? Or is it not affecting most people who use it? I am in a different time zone to the majority of users.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:02 pm Reply with quote
I would say I've encountered more problems lately. For the longest time, the ony problem I ever encountered is that many times, a video would simply freeze. I'd have to click on the 1080p button to get it playing again. That still happens, but now I'm running into other problems. In fact, I just checked and when I try to play a video there, I just see white space where normally the viewing pane would be. Plus, I'm running into a lot of stuttering where I have to pause the video for a bit - to let it buffer, I guess - and then hit play. I'm finding I have to use site aggregators to see some CR vidoes when I can't get the site to work.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:20 pm Reply with quote
I'm currently getting the same white space, Blood-. At first, I thought it was an issue with my modem or router, but after powering down both, I see that's not the case.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:53 am Reply with quote
While Crunchyroll's browser-based Flash player works as well as one can expect on my miniature Linux machine, I have only once been able to watch an entire episode on their Android application without a hiccup of any description.

In fact, Viewster currently offers a better streaming system in both cases, the differences in their library notwithstanding. Huzzah for HTML5!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nate1986

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Yea its acting up on my end on ios and their site
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, the weekends are just brutal. I'm getting the blank viewing pane of death again. Had to use aggregator to watch Interview with Monster Girls and I may as well just continue using it for the other Saturday shows, too.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Mostly been working well for me. I had some issues a few days ago when I tried to watch My Love Story and the stream kept stuttering so I had to resort to other means. Today when I watched Interviews with Monster Girls the stream froze once few minutes into the episode. I just refreshed the page and it worked fine from there.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:30 am Reply with quote
I seem to have better success watching with the app on my PS3. Maybe they have different servers devoted to streaming on Playstation Network.

The Android app is usually pretty reliable as well, though I rarely use that at times when there is high demand like weekends.
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:26 pm Reply with quote
I've had no problems recently watching using a PS3. I initially started watching Crunchyroll with my PS3 because it worked much better than through a browser on my PC during peak hours, so I think yuna49 must be right about them having different servers or something. However, that was a couple years ago, and I can't say I've noticed any problems recently when I've tried watching on my PC. Still, if you have a PS3 (or any different console than the one you are currently using), I would recommend trying watching through it, as that was what solved my problems with Crunchyroll.
Darksorrow29

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Primarily a PS4 and PS3 Crunchyroll user. No issues.

Very rarely the video might buffer to a lower video resolution, but i'll just back out and go back in and it will resolve itself.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Used Crunchyroll on just about every device they have an app for.

By far the best performance and overall app usability was on a Sony Blu Ray player with an implementation of Google TV.

Recently though, if I do not catch a show within 6 to 8 of being made available, accessing an episode via the Google TV app immediately goes to a dialog box stating there was an issue playing the video, check back later.

I have a Roku stick on the same tv, but I think it tries to send to high of a resolution, the first few minutes of anything has buffering interruptions.

The entire experience was so much better on the Google TV app.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:04 pm Reply with quote
It seems like the weekend slowdowns can be partially attributed to the decision to open Dragonball Super up to free users right when it airs, instead of a week later.

Of course, we can now "depend" on CR to have worse video quality than before, unless you watch everything within a week or a few days of its initial airing, whether you're a premium member or not:

https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/5yv8a7/crunchyroll_has_reduced_bitrate_by_4070_damaging/
https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/5z6oel/crunchyrolls_reduced_video_quality_is_deliberate/
https://medium.com/@Daiz/crunchyrolls-reduced-video-quality-is-deliberate-cost-cutting-at-the-expense-of-paying-customers-c86c6899033b#.i450yd68i

Though for all the "anime fans are anal about video quality" stuff, most viewers seem just fine with watching lower-quality re-encodes of CR streams on bootleg streaming sites. So the net result of all this is that non-immediate legitimate viewers on CR will get approximately the same quality (give or take a few hundred kbps) as seen on bootleg streaming sites, just without the watermarks and hardsubbing artifacts.
Darksorrow29

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:53 pm Reply with quote
I just noticed today watching some older shows on crunchyroll, the timing seems to be off on the subtitles and the dialogue in very random and short occurences while watching on the PS4.

I first noticed this when watching some of S2 of Log Horizon around episode 13 or 14.

I went to restart Yona of the Dawn, episode 1, and around 9:00 in, the subtitles didn't appear to show up. I fired it up on my web-browser and the timing and subtitles was fine.

Anyone using PS3 or PS4 notice any weird time syncs? I saw maybe like 2-4 instances in 2 random episodes of viewing, so small sample size.

Thanks
Hip2dbeat

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I feel what you're saying. The weekends are particularly bad, but I've learned to just try to get my sources from other places [Do not advertise bootleg streaming sites ~Zalis]

Maybe they'll get around to fixing their stuff, but I don't pay for a subscription so I can't complain, but others who do...it's rough.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1