• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Is Subway Groping Really A Big Deal In Japan?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paiprince

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:04 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
Certainly, due process rights of the accused must be protected, but in the preponderance of cases, the woman is the one victimized. Just because they need to be careful how they prosecute these cases, in the courts of law and public opinion, doesn't mean that women being victimized by men isn't far more salient than the converse

Exactly what I mean. It seems like society thinks sexual assault > slander and the possibility otherwise is virtually disregarded because feelings amounting to, "men are always the assaulters" and that the emotional trauma of women will ultimately be above all else, no ifs or buts. Women can and have played that card to their advantage. If that ain't a case of double standards, then I dunno what is.

It's made worse in Japan since despite general culture there favors males, this is one of those instances that the females can fight back against the so called patriarchy, knowing full well that social ostracism is equivalent to a dead man walking there.
chronos02

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:14 pm Reply with quote
This is indeed a big problem, and having visited Japan in 2004 when the chikan problem was being handled with full force, I was able to see a few cases as well as all the, at the time, innovations that came with it.

Now, the cause of all this, unfortunately, does not lie on the occasional pervert trying or getting to cop a feel, the main issue stems from Japan's societal structure and education.

However... these social customs and structures are what make Japan what it is, as well as the main reason for it being one of the safest countries on this planet. This, however, comes at a price, some might say it's steep, some might say it's less than expected, but the fact is it exists as a result of keeping the country as it is, though it has changed quite a bit since the 90s.

Organized crime is almost nill, Yakuza having sort of "honest" business's, though their main source and what keeps them alive is the fact they bought Japan's debt during the post WW2 era. They control the black market but at the same time keep tabs on it, and as they are also the proud saviors of their country, they act like it, preventing other smaller criminals from acting.
Society in Japan values the group and homogeneity, and as the saying goes, the nail that sticks out must be hammered down, which makes everyone go for the "normal" path in their lives, having normal friends and doing normal activities. This, as good as it sounds (for many at least) kills individuality, and that's its objective, but it also causes another problem: those that are different, be it in tastes, personality, looks, etc. will be shunned, which in return makes them dislike their sorroundings, aggravating the situation, and among those that reform, some traces will be left that causes them to deviate from the "right" path, since they will probably not get accepted by others, and in the case of men, they might not be able to get a sentimental partner, which will lead them to commit crimes such as groping during public transportation trips.

What I said there is just the tip of the iceberg, but it all sums up in a peaceful country in which the crimes comited are mainly shoplifting and concurrent perversion acts. It is indeed much safer than getting gutted, shot, having mercenaries enter your house to steal, run over by speeding dumbasses or attacked by a bunch of drug addicts, but being sexually assaulted is still a crime that, although it doesn't leave physical injuries, it does indeed leave psychological ones that are usually incurable (though those do come from being assaulted on the streets or whatnot).

Despite that, I would certainly move to Japan if I was allowed to, no questions asked, it's still much better than most countries in the world (I would get scared of the occasional tsunami, hurricane and earthquake, but that's a "small" price to pay, prices which have shaped, too, the Japan that we know or seem to, at least).
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Now, I want to say that I do not condone these types of behavior, but I can't help but laugh when the column mentioned how serious of an issue this is in Japan and how some people go so far as to form an online club to promote "chikan". I mean that just takes it to the next level to the point of ridiculousness.

Last edited by jojothepunisher on Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:33 pm Reply with quote
KH91 wrote:

Fun fact: It happens worldwide so you might as well keep her in the house, but then again, it'll happen to her there as well. Good luck with that.

Indeed. Despite this number, Japan is still one of the lowest rates of sexual assault. If this number frightens them, they may want to avoid looking up their own country's statistics.

-Stuart Smith
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Paiprince wrote:
It's made worse in Japan since despite general culture there favors males, this is one of those instances that the females can fight back against the so called patriarchy, knowing full well that social ostracism is equivalent to a dead man walking there.

To my knowledge this isn't the issue in Japan, but actually the opposite --- women are the ones who become ostracized, police are largely uncooperative, and the undercurrent culture leans towards unspoken acceptance and a "blame-the-victim" mentality.

Stuart Smith wrote:
Indeed. Despite this number, Japan is still one of the lowest rates of sexual assault. If this number frightens them, they may want to avoid looking up their own country's statistics.

It seems there's a lot of sentiment that Japan greatly under-reports cases of sexual harassment and assault, due to a culture inclined to not disturb the harmony, as well as the police not wanting to help (and in some sense, preferring to keep the statistics low).

Here's a link to some insider views that are a bit related, with some mention about the groping problems as well:

https://www.quora.com/Why-are-the-rape-statistics-for-Japan-so-low
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Paiprince wrote:

This is not really the battle to fight on. Japan as a society at large leans REAL heavily towards "don't cause waves" so ANYONE causing any kind of scene is going to automatically get negative response. The fact that anyone even COULD use this as a pretext to slander someone (in Japan) should give you an indication of how prevalent the issue is. This is a country where people don't call others out on urinating in public or OPENLY harassing others, because by and large people generally prefer to keep their heads down and be on their way. I have no doubt there are women who have falsely accused men of "chikan", but also I have no doubt that the number of those is infinitesimally small.

If nothing else, I can almost guarantee you that Japan has a bigger issue of "xenophobic false accusations" (ie. 'the foreigner did it') then they do with males being ostracized/shamed over false groping allegations.
Hakajin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:19 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
Paiprince wrote:

This is not really the battle to fight on. Japan as a society at large leans REAL heavily towards "don't cause waves" so ANYONE causing any kind of scene is going to automatically get negative response. The fact that anyone even COULD use this as a pretext to slander someone (in Japan) should give you an indication of how prevalent the issue is. This is a country where people don't call others out on urinating in public or OPENLY harassing others, because by and large people generally prefer to keep their heads down and be on their way. I have no doubt there are women who have falsely accused men of "chikan", but also I have no doubt that the number of those is infinitesimally small.

If nothing else, I can almost guarantee you that Japan has a bigger issue of "xenophobic false accusations" (ie. 'the foreigner did it') then they do with males being ostracized/shamed over false groping allegations.

I was wondering if the Japanese mindset of not wanting to cause trouble might have something to do with why women don't speak up more. Thanks for confirming that!
Paiprince

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:
Paiprince wrote:

To my knowledge this isn't the issue in Japan, but actually the opposite --- women are the ones who become ostracized, police are largely uncooperative, and the undercurrent culture leans towards unspoken acceptance and a "blame-the-victim" mentality.

If you think women are marginalized in Japan, then you'd have a field day how they are treated in the Middle East and Africa. The police in those places? Hah, forget about it. They also practice "corrective rape" and stoning because of adultery. Don't make it sound like Japan is hell on women, because it really isn't. Try not to put it up to the standards of Sweden where its police seem to care more about outsiders than their actual people...

HeeroTX wrote:

Infinitesimally? Hardly. Passive aggressiveness knows no gender and women have used this tactic for ages. You don't need to cause a scene to destroy someone's good name. If one assumes said assault is underreported, then the same can be said for slander and libel.

And while foreigners are treated at arms length at best, almost no case of "gaijin chikan" have been reported. The perps have almost always been a native issue. Because foreigners already know they're not on equal footing as ethnic Japanese. Why should they risk committing a crime that would drag their reputations lower than the Earth they're stepping on?
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Paiprince wrote:
If you think women are marginalized in Japan, then you'd have a field day how they are treated in the Middle East and Africa. The police in those places? Hah, forget about it. They also practice "corrective rape" and stoning because of adultery. Don't make it sound like Japan is hell on women, because it really isn't. Try not to put it up to the standards of Sweden where its police seem to care more about outsiders than their actual people...

What you're doing is called relative privation, which is a classic logical fallacy.

You're trying to make a situation of unreported rapes, sexual assaults, public gropings, police indifference and cultural subservience in Japan sound like it's "okay" when contrasted against worse conditions in other countries.

But just because things could be worse for Japan doesn't mean that the current situation is acceptable. It's not.
Paiprince

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:
Paiprince wrote:

What you're doing is called relative privation, which is a classic logical fallacy.

You're trying to make a situation of unreported rapes, sexual assaults, public gropings, police indifference and cultural subservience in Japan sound like it's "okay" when contrasted against worse conditions in other countries.

But just because things could be worse for Japan doesn't mean that the current situation is acceptable. It's not.

And you're expressing the typical judgmental-ism ethnocentrists from VICE and Japan Times often pull.

Japan will never be like the West. It has its own sense of gender identity and roles it expresses that for the most part are benign. Your standards will never align with theirs. Even the women in general are fine with this. If you expect Japanese women to be assertive, "We can do it" style, then you're living in a dream world. Not like the US and Europe are the bastions for womenkind as they advertise themselves to be either. The wage gap, MGTOW, rap culture, Hollywood etc. all have a hand in undermining the women there.

Japan is not perfect, but it's also not the misogynistic sex assault den you make it out to be either. That's what I'm trying to get at.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:59 pm Reply with quote
How about you 2 cut this argument off now before it becomes a problem. Thanks.

jojothepunisher wrote:
Now, I want to say that I do not condone these types of behavior, but I can't help but laugh when the column mentioned how serious of an issue this is in Japan and how some people go so far as to form an online club to promote "chikan". I mean that just takes it to the next level to the point of ridiculousness.

So the fact that there are groups of men who get together to compare notes, stories, tips etc on getting away with groping a woman is funny and being upset over it is just silly to you? How charming.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
How about you 2 cut this argument off now before it becomes a problem. Thanks.

TBH, I don't necessarily agree with cutting off discussion before it becomes a problem (that's kind of policing a la Minority Report Laughing). But since you requested, I'll stop. It's understandably a touchy situation to evaluate the cultural underbelly of a country that produces content that people enjoy, but I sort of feel like open awareness of these issues is more important than my own personal attachment/identification with Japanese culture.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:
(that's kind of policing a la Minority Report Laughing).

It's pronounced "Psycho Pass" here. Laughing
Shaterri

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:07 pm Reply with quote
I think there's a natural tendency to want to defend Japan; after all, we're all fairly heavily emotionally invested in at least some aspects of the culture - if we weren't, we wouldn't be here. It's a Cool(TM) place; it's suffused with history in a way I've never experienced anywhere else; I'm in awe of the emotional power of its sacred places; I'm constantly amazed and delighted by its creative expression, from anime to games and technology to music, be it May'n or Merzbow.

But it's also a country and a culture with some deep, fundamental social issues, and one of them is an inability to engage in any meaningful fashion with its problems. Japan doesn't need anyone else to defend it; it needs to start to recognize and acknowledge some of the cultural aspects that are serving to keep many aspects of society 'backwards' and that (IMHO) are starting to actively hold it back on the world stage, if it ever wants to be able to move beyond them and become as awesome a place as it likes to think it is.

Last edited by Shaterri on Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:20 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
Kikaioh wrote:
(that's kind of policing a la Minority Report Laughing).

It's pronounced "Psycho Pass" here. Laughing

Particularly fitting considering the Moderator in question. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7