• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - Horizon: Zero Dawn

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
I'm always open to suggestion if anyone in here has ideas for what they'd like to see us do.

Are "first impressions" video previews an option? I dare say that the means, method and motive already exist!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:17 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
An anime fan is allowed to like non-Japanese stuff too.

This is completely true to every degree, yet the real problem lies with the so-called hardcore weebs, who hate everything not having to do with anime. If you're an anime fan that happens to like non-Japanese stuff and you mention anything non-Japanese at an anime con or in an anime forum, you're apparently not considered a "true" fan by said hardcore morons. Rolling Eyes
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:58 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
This is completely true to every degree, yet the real problem lies with the so-called hardcore weebs, who hate everything not having to do with anime. If you're an anime fan that happens to like non-Japanese stuff and you mention anything non-Japanese at an anime con or in an anime forum, you're apparently not considered a "true" fan by said hardcore morons. Rolling Eyes

Well, if that's the case, then I'd rather not be a "true" fan. I like a lot of things, and I am a fan of a lot of things. And if I had a PS4, I'd play Horizon: Zero Dawn.

There was one year at Anime Expo where cosplayers for My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, Adventure Time, and Homestuck together outnumbered cosplayers for Japanese properties, which I found pretty amusing, and I understood it's because these people are fans of both anime and other things. (It was one of those years after the bubble had burst, meaning anime itself was of diminished relevance even in its own fandom.) Last year, there was an explosion in cosplayers of characters from Miraculous Ladybug too. I wonder if anyone blew a gasket from these sights.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:45 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Well, if that's the case, then I'd rather not be a "true" fan. I like a lot of things, and I am a fan of a lot of things. And if I had a PS4, I'd play Horizon: Zero Dawn.

You and me both. It's funny how these nitwits seem to forget it's because of animated western properties (specifically the creation of Mickey Mouse and Carl Barks's Scrooge McDuck comics) that they even have their precious wide-eyed manga and anime in the first place. I find it sad they don't ever seem to see the irony. They probably acknowledge Disney exists, but they clearly don't know the facts.

Quote:
There was one year at Anime Expo where cosplayers for My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, Adventure Time, and Homestuck together outnumbered cosplayers for Japanese properties, which I found pretty amusing, and I understood it's because these people are fans of both anime and other things. (It was one of those years after the bubble had burst, meaning anime itself was of diminished relevance even in its own fandom.) Last year, there was an explosion in cosplayers of characters from Miraculous Ladybug too. I wonder if anyone blew a gasket from these sights.

I wouldn't be surprised if they indeed lost their marbles over it. It's funny yet again in this case, because Japanese folks do enjoy our properties too, so it goes both ways. It's not like when anime conventions are held there, you won't stop seeing their own franchises running about, because to them "anime" means all forms of animations, not just their own.

In the case of Miraculous Ladybug, it was promoted with a Japanese animation trailer, so the show's release was originally a collaboration between North America, France and Japan (despite the fact they couldn't go through with 2D due to specific concerns about marketability and animation difficulties). It's also because the show isn't bad at all and pretty popular with the Code Lyoko crowd.

My Little Pony and Adventure Time have been dubbed in Japanese as well, just like we dub Japan's animated works in English, but somehow North America is always treated as the bad guy for dubbing at all, while Japan always gets a pass no matter how bad it sounds because they can never do anything wrong in the eyes of the weebs (for example, Discord is really shrill and high-pitched in the Japanese dub of MLP, which is the complete opposite of how he's voiced in English; this is proven by comparison of voice clips at Behind the Voice Actors).

The typical double standards of the "true" anime fans. Le sigh...
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:42 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if they indeed lost their marbles over it. It's funny yet again in this case, because Japanese folks do enjoy our properties too, so it goes both ways. It's not like when anime conventions are held there, you won't stop seeing their own franchises running about, because to them "anime" means all forms of animations, not just their own.

In the case of Miraculous Ladybug, it was promoted with a Japanese animation trailer, so the show's release was originally a collaboration between North America, France and Japan (despite the fact they couldn't go through with 2D due to specific concerns about marketability and animation difficulties). It's also because the show isn't bad at all and pretty popular with the Code Lyoko crowd.

My Little Pony and Adventure Time have been dubbed in Japanese as well, just like we dub Japan's animated works in English, but somehow North America is always treated as the bad guy for dubbing at all, while Japan always gets a pass no matter how bad it sounds because they can never do anything wrong in the eyes of the weebs (for example, Discord is really shrill and high-pitched in the Japanese dub of MLP, which is the complete opposite of how he's voiced in English; this is proven by comparison of voice clips at Behind the Voice Actors).

The typical double standards of the "true" anime fans. Le sigh...

I always found it really interesting to observe fans of western animation in Japan. They have knowledge just as comprehensive about western cartoons on TV as some people here do about anime. You have people who can immediately identify every character in Capitol Critters, or people who can point out similarities of something to any given episode of The Fairly OddParents.

What's amusing is the sub vs. dub wars that go on among them too. We call the English dubs of anime the bad guy, but some of them get annoyed at their own Japanese dubs (whatever few of them there are that do happen). Before Friendship Is Magic, I heard complaints about how the Call of Duty games were released only with Japanese dubbed voices, and many demanded to have the English voices with Japanese subtitles. I never checked if the developers ever complied with it though.

I am curious as to the idea behind Discord's Japanese voice though. I am no stranger to weird casting choices. I saw the Thai dub of some classic Disney shorts when I was little because they were available, and I found it really weird that Donald Duck has a deep voice. (And because Goofy was mistakenly identified by the translators as Pluto, we had two major characters named Pluto in the dubs.)
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:37 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
I am curious as to the idea behind Discord's Japanese voice though.

I'm going to hazard a guess here, but I'm assuming they took one look at his character design and assumed that "he must be insane", and insane characters are usually portrayed with a shrill and often ear-bleeding voice in Japanese to emphasize their insanity.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:30 am Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
I'm going to hazard a guess here, but I'm assuming they took one look at his character design and assumed that "he must be insane", and insane characters are usually portrayed with a shrill and often ear-bleeding voice in Japanese to emphasize their insanity.

Has that approach been done before Mark Hamill's run as Joker in Batman: The Animated Series? Personally, I think Hamill did a splendid job at giving Joker a shrill, high-pitched voice and an even higher-pitched laugh, and it popularized that approach in American fiction from then on.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:11 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

From what I heard that is pretty standard to see Homestuck and other stuff at anime conventions. That's particularly why I never bothered with American conventions. They seem to follow the ComiCon route of abandoning their original premise and just being a generic geek convention. That's why I always only bothered with Japanese conventions whenever I do my yearly trip to Japan, and the amount of non anime cosplay of those is unsurprisingly in the minority.

These days the big thing is Overwatch, and it only sold 50K in Japan and isn't popular there. But I imagine the excuse of 'some western anime fans like it so its okay' is used to justify it. I guess if wanting a convention to remain focused on its subject is "weeb" then I'm a weeb.Although I felt the same way when Hollywood started taking over ComiCon back in the day when people decided NBC sitcoms and Adam Sandler movies made sense at a comic book convention.

-Stuart Smith
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:25 pm Reply with quote
That's an interesting perspective, but something I don't understand: How does the attendees' choice of cosplay affect the focus of the convention? The only things it'd affect would be the cosplay-related events and panels. Otherwise, they just cosplay as characters from western franchises knowing there will be little to no coverage of it at that convention.

Unless you don't mean the focus of the convention, and you mean the focus of the attendees.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Fans can apply to run panels, which is how you end up with tons of non-anime things at them usually.

-Stuart Smith
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
From what I heard that is pretty standard to see Homestuck and other stuff at anime conventions. That's particularly why I never bothered with American conventions. They seem to follow the ComiCon route of abandoning their original premise and just being a generic geek convention.

Unless panel slots are in notably short supply, I would not balk at the idea of a broader range of topics being presented at a convention. If their hosts are fellow otaku, it would be charitable to assume there is be a perspective unique to our interests from which they could approach any pop-cultural material, no matter how far from the periphery of anime it lies. Indeed, some of the regular features here do just this!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:57 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Has that approach been done before Mark Hamill's run as Joker in Batman: The Animated Series? Personally, I think Hamill did a splendid job at giving Joker a shrill, high-pitched voice and an even higher-pitched laugh, and it popularized that approach in American fiction from then on.

I'm certain it was, because zany and literal clown/jester characters in earlier cartoons were often portrayed quite loudly by their VAs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2