• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
30 Years of Kimagure Orange Road

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanQ

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:
My opinion of KOR can be summed up thusly:

Hikaru did nothing wrong!

Frankly, my first impression of Hikaru was that she is little annoying. But her scene in movie (first movie) changed my mind and I have to admire her strength.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
vanfanel

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Say what you will about the series, but Kimagure Orange Road: I Want to Return to That Day is a forgotten masterpiece.

If you ever wonder why so many harem comedies never seem able to commit to a conclusive ending...this is why. They've written themselves into a trap where they can't get to the happy ending without breaking the hearts of every other love interest (as well as the hearts of their merchandise-buying fans).

"Summer's Beginning" is based on a light novel by Kenji Terada (who wrote for the TV series). There were three of those books, but only one got adapted. I'm not a fan of that movie myself, though the scenes of the trio spoiler[slowly reconciling] did put a smile on my face. Not even spoiler[heartbreak lasts forever. Time heals all wounds.]
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:08 pm Reply with quote
DanQ wrote:
Lemonchest wrote:
My opinion of KOR can be summed up thusly:

Hikaru did nothing wrong!

Frankly, my first impression of Hikaru was that she is little annoying. But her scene in movie (first movie) changed my mind and I have to admire her strength.

Oh she's irritating, but Kyosuke leads her on like he likes it. Then in the film he turns round & says "I may be a spineless twerp who dumped you for your best mate only when I 100% knew she'd say yes, but you're the one out of order for trying to talk to me."
Animechic420

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:25 pm Reply with quote
This series needs to be revived so the people of today can watch it.
Swissman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Big fan of KOR here. I first discovered the series back when it was airing in France on TV in 1992-93 and discovered its original title thanks to an ad by AnimEigo in Animerica magazine. I was lucky to find the manga in japanese and the soundtracks here in Switzerland in the mid-nineties; the latter ones are now long out of print and hard to find, even in Japan. I have the complete series on japanese Laserdisc and DVD boxset and got hand on some cels from the TV series and the first movie.

I still think KOR is one of the best romance comedies with the nicest character designs. I love the music for this show as well, and all the songs are great.

residentgrigo wrote:

Edit: The manga is from 1984 and the 1st film is from 1985, so why the current celebration?

Because it was exactly 30 years ago that the *TV* series started.

Quote:
I also saw that Jason has a quote on Madoka being a genre archetype on the Kimagure wiki. Devilman´s Miki Makimura is a 12 years older character, a more famous one too, but what do i know...

I think you greatly underestimate how popular Madoka was as a character, and still is. She appeared more than once on the front page of SJ for example; at a time when the magazine had a circulation of 6 million copies a week.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Swissman wrote:
I still think KOR is one of the best romance comedies with the nicest character designs. I love the music for this show as well, and all the songs are great.

Got the Singing Heart ² CD boxset. One of these days I'll get Akemi Takada's Madoka artbook.
imIzaM

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Love KoR since 1997 <3

Compelled to Reply

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:
White Album 2 is effectively a condensed version of it if you don't feel like watching 45 episodes of "I like Madoka, but I'm too much of a pussy to tell Hikaru."

If KOR and K-ON! had a baby...

Madoka and Hikaru were best friends. If Kasuga rejected Hikaru earlier, it would have angered Madoka and compromised any chance with her, and he had to wait until being close enough to confess. Although the show has its share of fillers, most the forty-something episodes are beautiful with Madoka's classic tsundere/kuudere character development.

GeorgeC wrote:
[I know MI and the first Ranma 1/2 TV series (18 episodes; Viz bundled the two shows as one 161 episode long series but it was actually two shows spread out over about 2.5 years, 1988/1989 to about 1991) shared the same production team. People do go back and forth between projects. Ranma in the first TV series looks a LOT like Yusaku Godai since he shares a common character designer (and I'm NOT talking about Takahashi per se; I mean the anime production team). It's possible that character designers also worked on KOR or somebody was influenced by his or her style and copied it for the KOR production. It happens!

Actually, Maison Ikkoku's character design was by Yuji Moriyama until episode twenty-eight. The Kimagure Orange Road pilot episode screened the year before in 1985 with Akemi Takada on board, so by the time she took over at MI, the KOR anime was well in the works.

Izumi Matsumoto called Rumiko Takahashi an influence, especially since KOR was basically Weekly Shonen Jump's Urusei Yatsura. At the time he started at Shueisha, the anime was already well into its run, so Takada was likely a major influence and convenience, the latter especially with Matsumoto leaving the production committee.
kgw

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:37 am Reply with quote
I always liked KOR (unlike my brother who is/was a bigger fan than me).

I am quite sure that without Akemi Takada's work as character designer, the series' impact wouldn't have been the same. Also, the music was superb. If I haven't heard the CDs a thousand times, I'd never heard them.

The story wasn't always that good (there were some filler episodes, the last episode felt a bit rushed...). Strangely enough, the original movie (KOR I want to return...) got a better ending than the original manga. A great work, both in script and in voice acting.

It's a pity that Izumi Matsumoto were never able to do nothing good after that, due to his illness. Sesame Street* looked good, but never went anywhere and got cancelled. We even bought the 3 tankoubon! And that's was all, except more ecchi one-shots of KOR. Not really helping.

Seriously, maybe KOR is the reason why I despise two kinds of fads in anime:
1) unsolved love triangles' or harem series Oh, they CAN end the story. Had the boy or the girl choose one, but they WON'T, you'd hurt someone's feelings (and his/her fans'). Sometimes, I am afraid they just can't write anything good.

2) movies that solve nothing, just add a new menace/location, repeat everything again.
Triltaison

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:01 am Reply with quote
Since it's been looooong out-of-print, I never did get to see the TV show. But since the manga got officially licensed not that long ago, I did enjoy reading KOR. That style of '80s manga with simple linework and expressive body language just scratches the right itch.

I found a DVD of the Summer movie for something like $3 once so I picked up that copy, but haven't gotten around to watching it yet. Wasn't 100% sure if I needed to watch the other movie or TV show, or if I'd be fine with just the manga knowledge.
Banjo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:24 am Reply with quote
I couldn't handle Kyosuke at all and it always frustrated me how both he and Ayukawa flirt behind Hikaru's back.. spoiler[ and for the entire series! it didn't end until the movie that was a total disaster compared to how the manga ended. ]
zrdb

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:45 am Reply with quote
I'll just say this-Maison Ikkoku and Kimagure Orange Road are #1 and #2 on my list of all time anime favorites. And for very good reasons. Very Happy
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:45 am Reply with quote
I had to admit that when I saw this article on the ANN front page, with Matsumoto's relapse, I was worried that the worse happened.

I have met Matsumoto and he's a super sweet man. I supported the KOR Kickstarter solely because of that. When I last saw him in 2014, he mentioned that he had planned more KOR manga, but his health declined and he was unable to meet the SJ deadlines. He said that he had planned to write about the trio as adults, and showed off some artwork he had of Madoka and Hikaru from the series that he had planned.
xXInfinite026Xx

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:51 am Reply with quote
zrdb wrote:
I'll just say this-Maison Ikkoku and Kimagure Orange Road are #1 and #2 on my list of all time anime favorites. And for very good reasons. Very Happy

As for my go to 80's rom-coms, I very much agree. While both series were popular waayyy before my time, I absolutely fell in love watching them, beginning with Maison Ikkoku for the first time back in 2010. I was aware of that series from the Viz previews on my old InuYasha DVDs, but I never bought it nor gave it a chance until it was recommended for me on YouTube. It was a long journey, but once I finally watched all of it, I felt a large void in my soul and needed to consume another series just like it.

This is when I crossed paths with Kimagure Orange Road. While it didn't grab me right away like Maison Ikkoku did, I very much started to enjoy the ride for what it was. It was definitely more stylized than MI, and I found Madoka Ayukawa to be very mysterious and more intriguing than Kyoko Otonashi. The memorable (pre-EVA) Shrio Sagisu soundtrack and catchy OP's/ED's were a delightful charm of it's era. And then came the first movie. Wow, what a spoiler[damn heartbreak for the characters, especially Hikaru]. It was inevitable given the TV series ending, but still. It grips you right in the feels for sure. I didn't know the 2nd movie was such a denounced movie by the fans, but I guess I can see why while thinking back on it. Certainly the more 90's art style and music change didn't sit the best with me, but you just learn to live with it after some time. While the movie was a trip, for better or worse, I absolutely adored the ending scene of spoiler[Kyosuke pouring his heart and soul into words of love for Ayukawa, bringing her to tears as she tells him to call her by her first name from now on. Thus sealing the deal on their relationship - in more ways than one haha.] That tender moment ultimately cemented my already big love for the show.

While I think Maison Ikkoku is the much stronger narrative with a more timeless feeling overall, KOR is the more stylistically 80's, high-school romp with some great comedy and plenty of touching moments throughout.
ignitingblue

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:55 am Reply with quote
OP3 of the anime features only one cut from the start to the end. Technically it isn't though, for there are times the animation is freezed, but it is still impressive. The only other animated series I can think of which has an intro that only has one cut is Dilbert.

The heroine topped heroine contest of New Type Magazine in one year too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4