• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - What Are Host Clubs Really Like?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
svines85

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:39 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

This is not a knock on this Sharon who asked it, however. More like a misunderstanding because of cultural differences.

I suppose there might be some reflection of different cultures showing here.........though I honestly expect almost every culture/community has shady characters running around and seedy establishments that mothers tell their children that decent people shouldn't go to........so I'd guess more what we've seen in some of these thoughts/opinions expressed is age related. The vast majority or manga fans (both in Japan and fans of translated manga worldwide) are young.........there's a reason shounen is the most popular/best selling genre/demographic.......and it's that most readers, and the people coming to this site...... are young. They see stuff like this and think it's glamorous because that's just how many young people think. They don't have the real-world experience to a large degree to see past that to the seedy/low class/outright dangerous and life-destroying reality of a lot of the things that are being presented in a more "romanticized" light in manga/fiction.

But oh well, it really was an interesting article and conversation Smile
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:54 pm Reply with quote
svines85 wrote:
I suppose there might be some reflection of different cultures showing here.........though I honestly expect almost every culture/community has shady characters running around and seedy establishments that mothers tell their children that decent people shouldn't go to........so I'd guess more what we've seen in some of these thoughts/opinions expressed is age related. The vast majority or manga fans (both in Japan and fans of translated manga worldwide) are young.........there's a reason shounen is the most popular/best selling genre/demographic.......and it's that most readers, and the people coming to this site...... are young. They see stuff like this and think it's glamorous because that's just how many young people think. They don't have the real-world experience to a large degree to see past that to the seedy/low class/outright dangerous and life-destroying reality of a lot of the things that are being presented in a more "romanticized" light in manga/fiction.

But oh well, it really was an interesting article and conversation Smile

What I mean is that in this case, the ideas of host clubs, I'd imagine that a typical Japanese person, regardless of age (or at least from a very young age), sees them much differently from someone from a country without host clubs (that is, almost every other country). That is, I had figured that in Japan, host clubs have a reputation for seediness and shadiness that people learn early on, like maybe from walking past one or told so by their parents, and that the intended audience of Ouran are expected to be aware of that seediness and shadiness. That is, they're supposed to understand that the premise of this series is absurd, and they're supposed to know that high school host clubs don't actually exist. Whereas foreign readers or viewers watch it, having no prior knowledge of host clubs, and think it's normal.

Another analogy, I would say, is if people in a country read or watch Peanuts and think it's common for kids to set up psychiatric advice stands by the side of the road where other kids give them small amounts of money to get that advice. Every American can see that concept as absurd: Lucy has no degree and no training, her advice is unhelpful or abusive, and kids in real life aren't exactly clamoring to receive psychiatric help. And then some of them come visit the United States and want to go visit a psychiatrist. I mean, they don't have that reputation of seediness or shadiness to them (unless you're a Scientologist), and people don't visit psychiatrists for leisure and amusement.
Ladyhawk00

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:16 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed reading the answer that was given to my question and all of the comments that came afterward. I'm 53. At this stage in my life I may be culturally ignorant but not naive. Although I have seen Ouran, that's not where I got any preconceived notions about host clubs. It came mostly from manga. I was disappointed that host clubs didn't live up to my expectations, and ultimately a butler club sounds better suited to my taste. Seedy, I can deal with, but I don't have much patience for alcoholism. And I'm not much of a drinker either.

Crossing host clubs off my bucket list.

Thank you Justin

Sharon
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3