• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - What Do Miko (Shrine Maiden) Actually Do?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wingbeats

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Himiko does indeed sound awesome, that was an interesting bit of reading. I kinda knew her from Okami, cool to learn what figure she was based on.

I'm surprised too that she isn't in more anime.
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:02 am Reply with quote
I too am surprised Himiko is not more well known and used for more anime, I myself had never heard of her until I played the 2013 Tomb Raider reboot.
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:01 am Reply with quote
Abe no Seimei gets more love in anime than Himiko does. Sometimes she's referred to as Pimiko, though I'm not sure where this comes from.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ReifuTD

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:30 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Quote:

Himiko was said to have practiced magic and sorcery over her people,

Hmmm I wonder if this is why there's a segment of Japan's not all that enthused about the idea of a female ruling the country.

There seems to be a huge amount of female warship in the culture just looks at the list of god prominent gods alone. Amaterasu is a big one that rulers would claim their blood right from. Fuji is pretty big, Fox god Inari is like the highest miko priest or something.

I remember hearing that in the early days of Japan that females was a big part of the ruling class and wrote almost all of the historical documents from back then. So this Himiko thing explains a lot in that.
ignitingblue

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:40 am Reply with quote
A question answered at the right time. I always have a fetish for the white-crimson dress and I just enjoyed plenty of miko illustrations at Niconico Seiga yesterday. It's true that nowadays miko are mostly girls working part-time; a few of them are even overseas students from China.

Joe Carpenter wrote:
I too am surprised Himiko is not more well known and used for more anime, I myself had never heard of her until I played the 2013 Tomb Raider reboot.

I was wondering about this as well. There was a Taiwanese video game themed around three kingdom period of China which has her as the leader of Japan. Miko is a unit type in that game as well, but they do not dressed like typical miko.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:41 am Reply with quote
harminia wrote:
I'd love more anime about oldschool Miko's, rather than the modern day fetish bait stuff. It'd be especially cool for a story to explore the mental conditions the Miko's had; hysteria, epilepsy, or hallucinations etc.
But I don't think modern anime wants to explore stuff like that; they just want cute girls in cute outfits doing cute stuff.

Key the Metal Idol is the closest thing I've seen to what the article describes, and that's a 20-year-old series about a cyberpunk megacorp trying to control miko telekinesis for robot purposes.

ReifuTD wrote:
There seems to be a huge amount of female warship in the culture

I dunno, I don't hear too much about KanColle these days. Very Happy
svines85

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Cool, very interesting, thanks Smile
nargun

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Wandering Samurai wrote:
Sometimes she's referred to as Pimiko, though I'm not sure where this comes from.

Words that start with H in modern japanese started with P in ancient japanese.

[Actually _all_ Ps became H unless doubled, but the ones in the middle of words became W and were then lost entirely through vowel mergers except before A...]
Afezeria

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:59 am Reply with quote
harminia wrote:
There's barely any other anime that focused on shrine maiden alone, so why should one expects for a realistic take on the subject at hand in the first place? Not to mentions that cute girls doing cute things have nothing to do with miko at all as it's an entirely different theme. Or are you saying that any anime with girls in it is only gonna be about CGDCT? As for the fetishization of miko, it shouldn't be surprising if such shit even existed, everything in this world can be made into a fetish.
Northlander

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Hmm. I do remember an old Taito arcade game named Kiki KaiKai, where you control a miko, I believe? I remember playing that game and being charmed by the oddity a long time before I knew what a miko even was.

The game even had spiritual sequels (sort of) in the Pocky & Rocky games.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2