• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Do Older DVDs Look So Bad?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
But what would happen if the original masters to New Dominion Tank Police were to be lost, and the Manga UK release were to be all that remained of such a classic? We must always bear contingencies in mind!

Original masters being lost? Plausible enough. Other masters being lost too? Less plausible, but still within the realms of possibility. Those and every existing NTSC DVD getting lost or destroyed, leaving only PAL DVDs? So unlikely as to not be worth considering.
P13D5

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:46 pm Reply with quote
The article over simplifies the reason, and the causes can be:

1.Production quality of the disk, as is pointed the oldest released tend to be analog transfers but also some old disk are compressed using a subpar compressor and/or bad compressor configuration, there is also the problem of compression to low bit rates to try to cramp the biggest number of episodes per disk and this result in more artifacts. -> Solution: Buying a better mastered version.

2.How is upscalled, most HD-TVs have poor scaling. -> Solution: an upscaling player, a PC can be a solution but is more complex to setup correctly.

3.Over-processing, lot of HD-TVs do post-processing to enhance the image but sometimes this have the opposite effect. -> Solution: disable the post-processing, normally the game mode of the TVs do this.

4.The display quality, low contrast tend to exaggerate the artifacts making look it worse and most LCD HD-TVs don't have the same contrast ratio that as an old CRT an for that the artifacts tend to be more apparent (actually there are some HD CRT TVs). -> solution: buy a TV with better display or alternatively a DLP or Laser projector.

I have seen this when a friend brought a new TV, the DVDs looked worse than in his old TV. I recommended him to buy a BD player with a good upscaling to substitute his on DVD player, this had positive effect in the quality but this only enhance the quality a little, then I make him activate the game mode when playing disk and then the disk looked a lot better. But even after all of this the DVDs look worse than using his BD player and my DLP projector, also if I use the DLP projector and my PC the DVDs even look better.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:21 pm Reply with quote
P13D5 wrote:
The article over simplifies the reason, and the causes can be[...]

Well, what you've given us is a how-to guide, which is great, but the purpose of the Answerman column is to provide basic info, so that readers can get an idea of what's going on and that there is usually a logical reason behind seemingly illogical things.

A lot of the solutions seem to be "Buy a new ____," though, and I don't feel entirely comfortable about how casually that's thrown out. But maybe that's just me and finding simply buying new equipment on a whim to be reckless spending of money. To a videophile, I'm sure it's just another day, but to someone like me, for whom buying a new TV is rare and I consider TVs expensive, it doesn't feel right for me to read something in a tone that makes it sound like buying a new one is as common as buying new clothes or buying groceries.
P13D5

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:44 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon you are right, my intention was not a how-to guide but had trow solutions to lightly. I wanted to point that the article ignored altogether that the playing setup/hardware also affects the quality.

And I also find that buying new equipment on a whim to be reckless spending of money, and I'm sure that buying a new TV for me is even rarer that for you, the newer one in my house is at least 15 years old, the only exception is the projector that is only one year old and that was brought to be able to view the BDs in Full HD. Also most people don't evaluate the TVs when buying a new one, and their selection is basically drove by it size and prize, making quite often they to bitch that their DVDs look worse than before as the cheap ones tend to have poor contrast.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:18 am Reply with quote
FLCLGainax wrote:

PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
I had to track down the 2001 Pioneer DVD release of the Tenchi Muyo! Mihoshi Special, since FUNi skipped it on their Blu-ray. My god, that disc looks awful. It's incredibly blurry, and filled with nightmarish aliasing, mosquito noise, and macroblocking.
Pioneer must have reused their ancient laserdisc master for that episode in particular. The other episodes don't look as bad on the format.

It does look like something that had been ripped right from an old analog source. There's also a lot of rainbowing, dull colors, and the opening credit sequence still has hard English captions beneath the kanji, and various signs are translated with hard subs. It reminds me of Viz/Pioneer's old Ranma discs. Interestingly, the Pretty Sammy OVA episodes on the same disc look much better, if still problematic. They're at least a lot more sharp and colorful.

The Mihoshi Special was also skipped on Geneon's own Tenchi OVA box set, so it must be in a separate deal or something.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:48 am Reply with quote
P13D5 wrote:
I wanted to point that the article ignored altogether that the playing setup/hardware also affects the quality.

While that is true, it's not really relevant to the question asked. The comparison isn't between DVD and Blu-ray, it's between old DVD and new DVDs. Same format, same equipment, same setup, difference in quality. Whatever alterations you make to the equipment and setup, the newer DVDs are going to look noticeably better than the older ones. The question is why the difference between old and new, not why DVD doesn't look better than it does.

The only thing I think the article could have expanded on a bit more, which you also touch on a little bit, is that the encoding software was fairly primitive back then, so it couldn't produce as good results, and that people weren't as skilled at it, so optimal settings tended not to be used. But honestly, the nature of the masters affected the quality way more than the encoder did.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:48 am Reply with quote
P13D5 wrote:
leafy sea dragon you are right, my intention was not a how-to guide but had trow solutions to lightly. I wanted to point that the article ignored altogether that the playing setup/hardware also affects the quality.

And I also find that buying new equipment on a whim to be reckless spending of money, and I'm sure that buying a new TV for me is even rarer that for you, the newer one in my house is at least 15 years old, the only exception is the projector that is only one year old and that was brought to be able to view the BDs in Full HD. Also most people don't evaluate the TVs when buying a new one, and their selection is basically drove by it size and prize, making quite often they to bitch that their DVDs look worse than before as the cheap ones tend to have poor contrast.

Ah, I see what you mean then. I think there is an implication in the question asked about DVDs being lower quality compared to newer ones when played on the same TV, however.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:57 am Reply with quote
Ouran High School Dropout wrote:

As for old anime DVDs...when my BD copy of Scrapped Princess arrived, I couldn't resist popping in the original Bandai DVDs. It'll take weeks to get that horrible image out of my head! But, as Justin said, old analog CRT TVs concealed a multitude of sins vis-a-vis old anime DVDs, which explains why I don't remember the show looking so bad.

Heh, I'm actually rewatching those old DVDs right now, and I know the feeling. I generally don't pixel-analyze video, but in this case it's bad enough that I'd have to be blind to not notice it. I remember an old explanation/rumor going around that the US release was intentionally nerfed because Reasons, but who knows if it's actually true.
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:45 am Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
No, most hardware companies and studios are still stuck in 2008 mode of thinking that Blu-ray is a "small niche-fad among die-hard home-theater fans"

Actually I suspect streaming services like Netflix, On-Demand, etc., have a lot more to do with rhe slow adoption of Blu-ray. Why invest in a player and rental media when I can just watch a stream.

People at ANN are way more concerned about video niceties than the vast majority of viewers who care mostly about content.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:52 am Reply with quote
Ouran High School Dropout wrote:
0nsen wrote:
So horrible, in fact, that I can't rewatch my Armitage III DVD anymore. And no one released that masterpiece on BD yet!!

Hear that! Armitage is easily in my top ten for old DVDs I'd love to see on BD from a native HD master, along with Roujin Z and the Satoshi Kon/Makoto Shinkai features.

As for old anime DVDs...when my BD copy of Scrapped Princess arrived, I couldn't resist popping in the original Bandai DVDs. It'll take weeks to get that horrible image out of my head! But, as Justin said, old analog CRT TVs concealed a multitude of sins vis-a-vis old anime DVDs, which explains why I don't remember the show looking so bad.

Good to see the Armitage fans!

Yeah I'm glad I picked up the BD of Scrapped Princess too Smile
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:20 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
EricJ2 wrote:
No, most hardware companies and studios are still stuck in 2008 mode of thinking that Blu-ray is a "small niche-fad among die-hard home-theater fans"

Actually I suspect streaming services like Netflix, On-Demand, etc., have a lot more to do with rhe slow adoption of Blu-ray. Why invest in a player and rental media when I can just watch a stream.

People at ANN are way more concerned about video niceties than the vast majority of viewers who care mostly about content.

The adoption rate isn't the issue. Bluray actually had a faster adoption rate than DVD. The issue is that physical home media sales have been declining for a several years now. DVD really only had VHS as competition, and DiVX for a very short period. Bluray not only competes with DVD, but also digital streams, purchases, and rentals.
I_Drive_DSM

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:38 am Reply with quote
This topic makes me forget how long DVD anime has actually been a thing; been spoiled by streaming.

The very first anime DVD I purchased was the Knights of Ramune compilation the turn of Y2K. At the time I thought it was great as it meant I didn't have to purchase $25 VHS tapes with only two episodes each. Having played it recently on a modern TV it doesn't hold up very well at all. Understandably there is very questionable compression going on to get the episodes to fit on the disk, and not only are massive artifacts present but everything is exceptionally washed out. No amount of adjusting settings helped.

From a personal stand-point it doesn't necessarily bother me as having grown up on anime in the 80s and 90s on mostly VHS I understand visual limitations. The short-comings did not make it completely unwatchable, and older anime as a whole is for me not unwatchable. However from an archival stand-point where more and more classic series are possibly "lost" due to deterioration of original analog media or improper transfers it's particularly concerning. Especially concerning if say a title was transferred to DVD during this early time period and say had a license "lost" or dropped.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:19 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
EricJ2 wrote:

Unfortunately, studios are still stuck in 2008 mode of thinking that TOO, and starved Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Prime out of all their 20th-century movies. If you were one of those folks back in 2010 who threw out their disk catalog because "Netflix has it all now"...suc-kerrr! Razz

Studios at the moment are also starving the subscription services because they (still) think that Netflix is "competition" to their vested interests of seeing Digital Ownership "take over" and "replace" Blu-ray--which, if you talk to any of your grownup friends, isn't likely happening any time soon. And some home-theater fans are now discovering a "disc Renaissance" of going to their public library for the classics and past recents, now that Netflix got out of the disk-by-mail business and Blockbuster has been wiped off the face of the earth.
Now, the problem is just in getting studio execs unstuck in time, and letting them find out that Blu-ray didn't turn out to be just a "fad".

Last edited by EricJ2 on Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Oddly enough, some have claimed that not only do old (defined as pre-2006) DVDs look bad, that they won't even work anymore. Perhaps non-collectors believe that retail DVDs have similar shelf lives as consumer-grade burnable DVD+/-R discs or something, which is definitely not the case. So I put in the 2000 DVD release of Generator Gawl, and lo and behold, the discs still worked fine. Didn't look that great on an HDTV of course, but then again, it never looked that great to begin with.

Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:
Tylerr wrote:
eh idk how people can stand watching anime on dvd anyway.

what with those horrible cancer causing yellow subtitles.

Honestly, given all the legitimate complaints people can make about the DVD standard, and even its subtitle format specifically, I just don't get why the complaint so many people make is "the subtitles are yellow". To me it's like complaining about an old wooden table because it's brown when it's got a wonky leg and is rotting a little at one end. I just don't see the problem with the colour, and even if there is a good reason you don't like the colour, it's hardly the biggest problem.

Admittedly, most of the reasons yellow (with black outline) was chosen as a standard subtitle colour to begin with no longer hold true - ie hardly anyone is watching stuff on a standard definition CRT anymore, so contrasting that clearly against everything possible isn't such a priority. But just because it's possible to have subtitles any colour in the rainbow, that doesn't A) mean you should (the early days of digital fansubs were lousy with font/colour choices that made subs nearly unreadable even on a good computer monitor), or B) make yellow actually bad.
Setting aside the fact that many DVDs use white and some Blu-Rays use yellow... At this point, I'm fairly sure the "yellow = ugly" meme is primarily a cudgel-like talking point for the anti-industry crowd. It seems to be based on one or two premises: "Yellow is an old color; new and better colors have been discovered in the last 15 years," or "The human eye has gone through such rapid evolution that a color that was once perfectly acceptable is now 'cancerous'."

Many digital fansubs in the early 00s actually did use yellow subs; it wasn't until the advent of BitTorrent and greater competitiveness in the scene in 2003-04 that the rainbow of subtitle colors became commonplace. And even today, the occasional fansub that uses yellow doesn't get that much hate, not compared to the hate that disc or stream rips with yellow get. The anti-industry crowd really gave the game away when rips of Funimation streams became prevalent in the download scene and on bootleg streaming sites. (Prior to that time, you would've had to watch Funi discs or rips that used Funi's DVD subs as-is to see that style.) Suddenly Funimation's unassuming white-with-black-outlines subs became "horrendous," "ugly," "eyecancer," etc. Clearly, the absolute worst fonts and colors are whichever ones official releases happen to use. Same thing happened with the font Trebuchet MS: perfectly acceptable when used in mid-00s fansubs, but became "terrible styling" after CR started using it.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Oddly enough, some have claimed that not only do old (defined as pre-2006) DVDs look bad, that they won't even work anymore. Perhaps non-collectors believe that retail DVDs have similar shelf lives as consumer-grade burnable DVD+/-R discs or something, which is definitely not the case.

If I may enquire, are you suggesting that burnable DVD+/-R media has a notably short life expectancy when compared to other media? My backups (of assorted content that I cannot actually remember) would be imperilled if so!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5