• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Yuuko/Hiroko Yamada

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Yuuko Yamada
Hiroko Yamada

Madman Entertainment have translated the character designer/sakkan for the upcoming Fairy Tail movie as "Hiroko Yamada". From the official site her name in kanji is 山田裕子.

Currently that Kanji is assigned in our encyclopedia to Yuuko Yamada.
We have a Hiroko Yamada also, but the kanji assigned to her is 山田弘子.

Wikipedia Japan does not have a page for 山田裕子 (there is a page for 山田弘子, but the subject is a poet and is not disambiguated). Neither AllCinema nor アニメ@wiki have a reading set for these names.

裕子 can be read as both Yuuko and Hiroko, however 弘子 cannot be read as Yuuko which at least confirms there are at least two people involved here. Yuuko's credits are all for animation (from key up to sakkan and now character design). Hiroko's credits are all for animation exception one for digital paint and a handful as a producer for Fuji TV. Oh, and one of the precisions for Hiroko gives a third spelling, 寛子.

Google searches for "山田裕子" "やまだひろこ" and "山田裕子" "やまだゆうこ" don't reveal anything obviously useful. I might be able to find English credits for some of her older roles in my collection, but not the newer higher level ones that are more likely to be correct.

Putting her aside for the moment to look at the split that is definitely needed for Hiroko:
Among the other possible readings for 寛子 are three that exist in our system, Chikako, Noriko, and Tomoko.

Only Tomoko currently has a kanji name assigned (智子), and all but one of her credits are with Shin-Ei in the 80s and 90s. That one credit is from 2016 so unlikely to be the same person. Not had any luck finding anything other than top-level credits for the Pokémon movie.

Noriko has only two credits. both unrelated. The colour coordinator is 山田典子, the inbetweener is 山田紀子.

Chikako is 山田知香子 according to all the active linked sources. The Pokémon link is dead and Spirited Away is an offline source. It appears she works for Studio Boomerang however, and they were involved with both of those, so for the first time today I think everything here belongs here.

Going back to Hiroko (again), all sources confirm producer is 山田弘子. But that's as far as I am going to get right now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:50 am Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Only Tomoko currently has a kanji name assigned (智子), and all but one of her credits are with Shin-Ei in the 80s and 90s. That one credit is from 2016 so unlikely to be the same person. Not had any luck finding anything other than top-level credits for the Pokémon movie.

Found a pirate copy on YouTube, kanji for the 2016 credit matches.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:07 pm Reply with quote
So, unlikely that it is that she took a 25 year break, I'll leave Tomoko out of it.
(I've also just noticed I missed a producer amount Yuuko's credits, but I'll come back to that..)

I think the first job is to simply split Hiroko by role, then decide if any further splitting and/or merging is required after.

Given that there is only one shiage credit I want to see of that belongs somewhere else first. Oh, I have a copy of Gestalt; I remember the cover (don't remember why or when I got it and have never watched it). A third of the shiage credits have no other roles which is a bit suspicious. I have found a source which says "デジタルペインティング: 山田弘子" (same kanji as the producer). I can only assume "Jack Jitensha" is a combination of ジェック・イー (JEC-E) and 自転車. (I have accidentally found one of the in-between credits, same Kanji again.. but I've been side-tracked enough alread so I'll come back to that). I have found some places online where 山田弘子 is credited with デジタルペイント; Hikarian and and the game Dragon Force II, and for the former she is credited under Tokyo Kids (who were also involved with Gestalt). So It doesn't look like Hiroko Yamada the colorist is an error (although the name reading is unconfirmed), it's just that we only have one of her credits.

Once more, I have run out of time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:44 pm Reply with quote
A1 Animator named 山田裕子, who we currently have as Yuuko Yamada, is written as Yuko Yamada on the Persona 3 Movies page. (Make sure to select third movie, can't direct link)
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:04 pm Reply with quote
OK, that's probably more reliable (depending on whether Madman's spelling came from the licencor or whether they winged it, and where the guy doing the P3 website got the names from etc).

For now I will split Hiroko: animator, colorist, producer. The animator probably needs to be split further if the spelling in that that one precision is correct, but at least the roles are separate for now.

Now back to Yuuko, to determine where that one product credit belongs. The source we have is English (and dead. No, while flash-based a later version of the site in the archive is still working) so I need to find another one... Anime Staff Database says "山田裕子". I would say it is unlikely that an animator is also a producer, however all but one of the other producer have a mix of producer and "animation producer" credits and one of them straight animation credits (although they could also be mixed up) so I will leave it alone for now.

There was also one shiage credit in there somewhere... "clean-up animation" for Amatsuki and it has an online source. In this case the name is "山田裕香". That Kanji exist in our system for Yuka Yamada so I will manually re-enter it there (done)

My main remaining concern with regards to consistency, is that according to our records she apparently did key animation in the 90s, took a break for the best part of a decade then did a few years of inbetweening. Oh, hang on... those are both long-running series and don't have episode precision so could slot in anywhere on the timeline. The only potential tast that remains here is confirming or at least doing spot checks to see if the kanji name is consistent, but that's more important for Hiroko where at least one credit is a definite mismatch.

Ah sheesh. Speaking of whom, both these people have in-between credits with a precision of Production I.G - only one of these has an online source and that was M Satomi's site and I can't get the copy in archive.org to display legibly no matter what encoding I force.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:31 pm Reply with quote
I was having the same encoding problem. Must have something to do with going through archive.org?

Regarding the spelling in the precision, that's my credit, I can confirm that the spelling appears that way in the source given. A spot check shows that 山田寛子 are a few of the credits in Hiroko are for that spelling. (I went 3 for 3 doing ctrl+f on sources for 山田寛子, so maybe most?) BUT! I also can see that we have animation credits on Walkure Romanze for both Hiroko (Animator) and Yuuko. There is some other minor overlap too, I wonder if we have a alias at play? Actually, looking a little deeper, that's doubtful... But I agree we do either need another split, or some of those Production IG credits scattered throughout both profiles belong in an existing third profile somewhere.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:08 am Reply with quote
By the same token the Kiddy GiRL-and credit for Yuuko is definitely 山田裕子 because I entered that one myself (half of it anyway).
I've also taken to putting the kanji name in a precision when it is different because it makes things much clearer during cleanup (but as a separate precision so it can be hidden easily afterwards without having to re-enter the credit itself).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1