• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - Thanks for 2017, Japan!

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
A lot of Japanese releases are ending up on mobile only and possibly Mobile/Switch in the near future if the Switch sells better (and get it's problems fixed), if the Switch sells at least 20 million halfway through it's lifespan we may get another console generation heck, the PS5 just got announced so there's a good chance we will have an true 9th generation, but I fear that Japanese devs will be slow to develop for it just like the PS4 due to mobile and especially if Sony doesn't offer anything for the fanbase over there at the same time or earlier as the Western fanbase (that delay cost Japanese sales). Microsoft should do XBO and PC launches of games day 1, I don't think going all PC is a good idea right now even though they have the resources to do so, give owners of either platform Microsoft exclusives on day 1.

So the problem seems to lie in budgeting time to produce games for consoles since Japan has been primarily focused on mobile gaming. The Switch's sales may be where they have to draw the line with where they should go with things. Considering the super busy daily schedules of most Japanese folks though, I'm guessing mobile is the route that best fits their hectic lifestyle. The Switch is a neat idea in concept, but it sounds like something that would appeal more to the U.S. and Europe than it does in Japan. The last home console that even remotely grabbed major attention in Japan was the Wii, if I recall. I don't think they've given as much of a flip over anything else since then.

Last edited by belvadeer on Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:16 pm; edited 2 times in total
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:30 pm Reply with quote
thenix wrote:
I don't like this because I like the traditional Japanese type games for what they are/were.

Chintzy,niche, & outdated? Which they still are?

Why is grinding still a thing in RPGs in 2017

Stuart Smith wrote:
Which games, exactly? Silent Hill and Castlevania have been torn apart by fans

Don't know about Homecoming and Downpour exactly but Lords Of Shadows was more split down the middle than unanimously hated. Then they had to completely drop the ball with LOS2.

Stuart Smith wrote:
DmC was also hated.

Yeah less because of the shift to a western developer and more because "WHY ARE THEY PISSING ON DANTE'S CHARACTER BY SCALING BACK HIS GOOFINESS AND MAKING HIS HAIR WHITE".

Kicksville wrote:
Being highly praised and selling well sure didn't save Metal Gear from Konami bean counters going "well you know we can make just as much if not more money on phone games and pilates classes, ssssso..."

For what it's worth you're still getting the Zombie game which is still better than getting next to nothing like some of their other games.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:23 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

Some people enjoy grinding, and 9 times out of 10, I would much rather grind in an RPG than do anything that could be considered a "stealth section" in an action/adventure game.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:52 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

Chintzy,niche, & outdated? Which they still are?

It might be an odd thing if you just look at WRPGs which are essentially shooters with level up perks these days, but a genuinely fun combat system like in Tales or Ys makes battles fun and leveling up for new skills and stats can be fun and rewarding. Outdated is such a bogus complaint anyway. Outdated is the excuse developers make on why western games rarely feature real bosses anymore rather than damage sponges, and most of them are QTE like in Shadows of Mordor. If being outdated means things like 'still having challenging bosses' then long live the antiquity! Let's bang these rocks together. Laughing
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:32 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:

Some people enjoy grinding, and 9 times out of 10, I would much rather grind in an RPG than do anything that could be considered a "stealth section" in an action/adventure game.

I would find it ironic anyone with barely any time and who routinely complains about games being too repetitive could (like most of us in the west ) would get any enjoyment of the process especially when it's feels like it's blatantly designed to pad things out.

Lord Oink wrote:
but a genuinely fun combat system like in Tales

I don't know about the general Tales games but Xillia's combat is alright it does feel like it tries to do too much with the all the unlockable artes and dodging which is easy for some some enemies but next to impossible for others.

Lord Oink wrote:
Outdated is the excuse developers make on why western games rarely feature real bosses anymore

I've never really heard anyone make this claim, I do like to think it's more of issue with it being difficult to design a "good" boss battle that doesn't feel like it's been done before. Or just plain shoddy.

Mass Effect 1 & 2 had boss battles and they weren't really anything to write how about. The Elder Scroll games being the same.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2