• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Eureka Seven Gets Film Trilogy Set a Decade Earlier With New Hardfloor Song

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wrangler

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:43 pm Reply with quote
They afraid they're going lose the copy rights that they need make another Eureka 7?

I didn't hate E7: AO but it depressed me that spoiler[in the end they lost and future is bleak.]

This is basically nostalgia milking, how can you make this better show without ruining it???
Kalessin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Calculus20 wrote:
That's nice and all but can we please get more Darker than Black too?

My thoughts exactly. Eureka Seven was fantastic, but it was also finished. It didn't need more. They then did Ao which which pretty much spoiler[negates everything in Eureka Seven thanks to changing the timeline]. It was very entertaining but also quite disappointing - particularly with how it ended. And here they're rehashing the original again with some extra stuff tacked onto the beginning? The movies can't possibly do the material that they'll rehash justice, and a new ending? Why, to eject Ao and do another sequel? Does Bones just not think that they can come up with anything original anymore? Are they just going to beat this horse to death? Sure, it's a great horse, but come on.

Darker than Black, on the other hand, definitely isn't finished and really needs another season. IMHO, it would have been fine with how the first season ended, but they went and made a second, and that had a very open ending which clearly implied that they were intending to do more. And yet have they? No.

So, Eureka Seven, which did have a proper ending gets more stuff done for it, and Darker than Black, which currently does not have a proper ending has gotten nothing. That's just plain annoying.

If they then go and do a new sequel for Eureka Seven which throws Ao out of the canon, and the new series is good, that would be cool, but if they're just doing these movies, that just feels like they're milking things. And regardless, I'd rather see Darker than Black get a proper ending than see a series which did get a proper ending get dragged on. So, whatever they do with Eureka Seven, I really hope that they eventually go and finish Darker than Black. At least the fact that they're willing to go back to a series as old as Eureka Seven implies that they might be willing to go back to Darker than Black.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Kalessin wrote:
Calculus20 wrote:
That's nice and all but can we please get more Darker than Black too?

My thoughts exactly. Eureka Seven was fantastic, but it was also finished. It didn't need more. They then did Ao which which pretty much spoiler[negates everything in Eureka Seven thanks to changing the timeline]. It was very entertaining but also quite disappointing - particularly with how it ended. And here they're rehashing the original again with some extra stuff tacked onto the beginning? The movies can't possibly do the material that they'll rehash justice, and a new ending? Why, to eject Ao and do another sequel? Does Bones just not think that they can come up with anything original anymore? Are they just going to beat this horse to death? Sure, it's a great horse, but

Yes, I too want a new season of DTB, but I will also defend this choice to make a new E7 trilogy. This adaptation is not a pure re-telling, but something more akin to a reboot. Just like the evangelion movies rebooted the eva story, but managed to articulate the premise to fit a refreshing new narrative, so can BONES alter and re-write the E7 story into a new trilogy with enough 'old and new' to make it fresh. This project does not negate the prior work, but what it does, is it keeps a 12 year old anime relevant and open to a new audience intake.
BlueCatMage

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:25 am Reply with quote
Can they please just leave ES alone already?! The series itself had a nice open and closed ending! I loved it and didn't need anymore! The movie was lame. And ES Ao was absolutely horrible! I mean, I did enjoy knowing Renton and Eureka eventually had their own kids, but everything else about that sequal made me wanna pull my hair out! Please Bones. . . . I beg of you. . . . stop trying to make a profit off of something that ended years ago! Anime cry
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Just came across this really cool news from suddenly seeing the trailer on youtube and being like WTF is this and then going holy shit, lol. More great out of nowhere news.

Marzan wrote:
So this is like a Rebuild of Eureka Seven?
I loved Eureka Seven, thought E7 AO was garbage. I hope this leans more towards the former qualitywise.

Dai Sato back as full writer and Kenichi Yoshida (as not just a guest designer/guest animation director on like 2 eps) and Naoki Sato for the music all returning gives me hope that it's indeed aiming for the original work's feeling and themes. Smile

The original team being back together makes me hopeful on what they are aiming for with this.

Ambimunch wrote:
Yes, I too want a new season of DTB, but I will also defend this choice to make a new E7 trilogy. This adaptation is not a pure re-telling, but something more akin to a reboot. Just like the evangelion movies rebooted the eva story, but managed to articulate the premise to fit a refreshing new narrative, so can BONES alter and re-write the E7 story into a new trilogy with enough 'old and new' to make it fresh. This project does not negate the prior work, but what it does, is it keeps a 12 year old anime relevant and open to a new audience intake.

Completely agree, gimme both.

I think this is great and am looking forward to these movies and seeing Kenichi Yoshida get to animate these characters again after all this time in full HD in this remake. The old movie as most people complain about with it messed with the lovable cast that fans were already attached to way too much and AO despite being kind of interesting with its constant twists also had oddly completely opposing themes to the original show and was also missing the charm and expressiveness of the original story and Yoshida's character animation, so I'm looking forward to these new movies bringing that all back with Dai Sato's writing and Naoki Sato's music and Yoshida's animation style (the shots of the characters like Eureka look gorgeous) all returning. But yeah I also would very much like to see more DTB as well.

What a start to this year!
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:01 am Reply with quote
Heishi wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
Abridging the series would be great, since the first half was mostly a waste of time.

What was wrong with the first half?
The quality of the show gets a lot better shortly after Charles and Ray are introduced. Up until that point, the show mostly felt like a waste, it was mostly just moaning around and the grew treating Renton like crap. I was going to drop it until I looked around asking when it gets good, and most people seemed to agree the on middle .
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:23 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
The quality of the show gets a lot better shortly after Charles and Ray are introduced. Up until that point, the show mostly felt like a waste, it was mostly just moaning around and the grew treating Renton like crap. I was going to drop it until I looked around asking when it gets good, and most people seemed to agree the on middle .

I understand what you mean. I wasn't really into the show either until after the first cour.

Looking back now though, I've been thinking that it was maybe because I hadn't entirely got it yet. I once rewatched some early episodes after finishing the entire series, and I was surpised by the many details I missed. I understood the show fine. It's just that the build up for many scenes actually had started much earlier than I thought.
supercalafragilisticjoy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:36 am Reply with quote
Egan Loo wrote:
v1cious wrote:
I'm a little confused. If this is a prequel, then why is Renton there? Or is that his father?[/u]

The films will start the story a decade earlier, but will then follow the story of Renton and Eureka.

Damn. I really wanted to see more of Holland and Talho.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:24 am Reply with quote
supercalafragilisticjoy wrote:
Egan Loo wrote:
v1cious wrote:
I'm a little confused. If this is a prequel, then why is Renton there? Or is that his father?[/u]

The films will start the story a decade earlier, but will then follow the story of Renton and Eureka.

Damn. I really wanted to see more of Holland and Talho.

I'm really interested in seeing the decade earlier, because we'll get to see a lot more of Renton's dad and his sister and everything with the first summer of love. And Holland and Talho could be in it - I can't remember when exactly they joined the military, but they may be around in this story, too!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3