• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Report: Anime Industry Up 12% in 2015

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Яeverse

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Streaming in non china is negligible?
joac101

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Whew good news I thought the industry was declining year after year and I'm so happy that I was wrong ! Very Happy
Touma

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:29 pm Reply with quote
From the article:
", the total market value of the anime industry in 2014 was 1.83 trillion yen (about US$18.1 billion), up about 12% from 2014's 1.63 trillion yen."

Should the first date be 2015?

It definitely is good that the industry appears to be healthy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:29 pm Reply with quote
If I'm reading last year's English summary right, it was released in January 2016. So if that holds, we should be seeing an official translation of the key points in a few months.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:34 pm Reply with quote
joac101 wrote:
Whew good news I thought the industry was declining year after year and I'm so happy that I was wrong ! Very Happy
Somewhere around 07 or 08 the industry entered a slump, which lasted until around 12 or 13, maybe even 14. An interview ANN did awhile ago with Studio Bones president, where he indirectly said the industry was doing well.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:35 pm Reply with quote
China is paying big yen for the shows. Is better the industry enjoy this wave until it last, because future with China are always uncertain.
Sometime in the near future China will make their anime like animation and will drop many the imports of anime.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Now cry me a river about all the millions of sales they're losing due to evil evil piracy the most evil thing that ever evil'ed. Those damn eye-patch villains are so close to bringing the ruination of the industry!

It'll be interesting to see the numbers next year, given how insane the amount of new shows has been this year, and how nay-sayers are loving to say the industry is done and over because home-video sales have been rather underwhelming
Яeverse

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:44 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Now cry me a river about all the millions of sales they're losing due to evil evil piracy the most evil thing that ever evil'ed. Those damn eye-patch villains are so close to bringing the ruination of the industry!r

I dont understand your comment, piracy threatens the need to stream, if someone pirates the episode why would they use the streaming service? We have seen some streaming service providers go the way of the dinosaur.
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Very surprising. Judging by all these short order series, I was sure the industry was in decline.
Paulo27

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:46 pm Reply with quote
joac101 wrote:
From a disc sales perspective for each series, it is, this year has been completely awful, but there's more anime than ever being made and there's a handful of huge hits even this year, which manage to keep it raising, but we're gonna reach a point where you just have too much anime being made (probably before 2020 even, I'd say) and either the quality of most anime will keep taking a hit and lowering and it'll enter a loop where anime is bad and people aren't buying and companies keep lowering budgets to keep up with the fact that no one buys them, etc, or we'll see a hard decline in production. Hopefully not both, though the market has been branching off in many other directions lately to keep up with this decline in disc sales, but I reckon it'll still stagnate soon.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Яeverse wrote:
CrowLia wrote:
Now cry me a river about all the millions of sales they're losing due to evil evil piracy the most evil thing that ever evil'ed. Those damn eye-patch villains are so close to bringing the ruination of the industry!r

I dont understand your comment, piracy threatens the need to stream, if someone pirates the episode why would they use the streaming service? We have seen some streaming service providers go the way of the dinosaur.

My point is that piracy has been there since forever, and the industry LOVES to cry about how piracy is killing it -and make yearly reports of how many million yen they've "lost" on piracy-, but the statement of piracy putting the industry's existence at risk falls apart when reports are showing that its net worth is rising
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:56 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Now cry me a river about all the millions of sales they're losing due to evil evil piracy the most evil thing that ever evil'ed. Those damn eye-patch villains are so close to bringing the ruination of the industry!

There's always one.

Anyways, this headline figure is a little misleading, as it incorporates anything related, however tenuously, to animation, both foreign & domestic. There should also be a second figure in the report that relates specifically to domestic animation companies, which is usually about 1/10th the bigger number. Still broadly good news. Will be interesting to be able to read if some of the issues highlighted in the 2015 report (stagnating international export values, staffing issues caused by adoption of CGI etc) are still at play.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Paulo27 wrote:
joac101 wrote:
From a disc sales perspective for each series, it is, this year has been completely awful, but there's more anime than ever being made and there's a handful of huge hits even this year, which manage to keep it raising, but we're gonna reach a point where you just have too much anime being made (probably before 2020 even, I'd say) and either the quality of most anime will keep taking a hit and lowering and it'll enter a loop where anime is bad and people aren't buying and companies keep lowering budgets to keep up with the fact that no one buys them, etc, or we'll see a hard decline in production. Hopefully not both, though the market has been branching off in many other directions lately to keep up with this decline in disc sales, but I reckon it'll still stagnate soon.

Disc sales are not really that important, Expect when talking about original anime where is the discs that pay the bills.
Most anime are financed by big manga/LN publishers and for them what matters is the numbers of manga/LN after the anime ended.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:04 pm Reply with quote
While it's doing good from a marketing standpoint, the quality is all over the place, while the idol genre is doing just fine (the issue is that too many are geared towards women and they often are the ones that aren't selling either, I've seen some get anime and the music sells 1.5K or less overall), and SoL is doing ok, mecha outside of Gundam and Macross isn't, it's in a sharp decline. You also have the problem with bad LN adaptations still being too popular.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:13 pm Reply with quote
There are some people that no matter the numbers, they will keep saying piracy is dooming the anime industry to an early grave, similar to how some people deny climate change even though the cold numbers say otherwise.

But hey, never mind me, lets put in jail another uploader every week. wonder if they will target koreans next.

Jonny Mendes wrote:
Sometime in the near future China will make their anime like animation and will drop many the imports of anime.

I think that is probable as they will drop hollywood movie imports. I do not mean to say they will not rry, but you can't recreate something creative just by throwing money at it, the koreans have tried for decades and failed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4