• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Creators Discuss Fūka Anime's Major Story Change

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:22 pm Reply with quote
I'm starting to think I'll give reading the manga a try, but based on everything I've been reading, it sounds like the death of Fuuka in the manga was one of those "drama for drama's sake" moments.

I keep hearing people talk about how it was for character growth, but I've long found that simply killing a character and using character growth as an excuse was a cop-out - like they had a character they didn't need anymore, but didn't now any other way to get rid of them. I'm not saying that was the case here, just that if you need character growth, there's usually more natural, effective, ways of going about it than the sledgehammer trauma of a kid in high school finding out the girl he might've had a crush on, or was at least a close friend with, was run down by a truck.

In my opinion, there is little difference to likely be had between the route the anime takes compared to the route the manga apparently took, except for the speed of getting where the relevant characters around Fuuka are going.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:14 pm Reply with quote
I would say this huge changing of the ending is, in this case, for the better...
The ending of the manga version of Fūka felt like it happened out of nowhere...
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:18 pm Reply with quote
DRosencraft wrote:
I'm starting to think I'll give reading the manga a try, but based on everything I've been reading, it sounds like the death of Fuuka in the manga was one of those "drama for drama's sake" moments.

I keep hearing people talk about how it was for character growth, but I've long found that simply killing a character and using character growth as an excuse was a cop-out - like they had a character they didn't need anymore, but didn't now any other way to get rid of them. I'm not saying that was the case here, just that if you need character growth, there's usually more natural, effective, ways of going about it than the sledgehammer trauma of a kid in high school finding out the girl he might've had a crush on, or was at least a close friend with, was run down by a truck.

In my opinion, there is little difference to likely be had between the route the anime takes compared to the route the manga apparently took, except for the speed of getting where the relevant characters around Fuuka are going.

It was hilarious.

It also provided some character growth until spoiler[Yuu shacks up with another girl named Fuuka who's also a great singer, but has a bigger rack than Fuuka #1. He then dumps her for Fuuka #3, the daughter of the truck driver, who just happens to look exactly like Fuuka #1.]

Fuuka is not a good manga.
Zzshcl

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:21 pm Reply with quote
I hate this fuuka from epi 11 tbh

She should have died
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Someone must've read solanin, which also goes in a similar direction.
Mojojotaro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Dead Fuuka is a major slap to Suzuka readers way back then. The rough roads the couple in Suzuka went through just to make sure Fuuka is growing well makes no sense anymore when Fuuka died in the manga at an young age
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:46 pm Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
DRosencraft wrote:

It was hilarious.

It also provided some character growth until spoiler[Yuu shacks up with another girl named Fuuka who's also a great singer, but has a bigger rack than Fuuka #1. He then dumps her for Fuuka #3, the daughter of the truck driver, who just happens to look exactly like Fuuka #1.]

Does this... does this actually happen? Because if so, I may regret dropping the manga. It sounds like I missed out on some comedy gold!
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:29 am Reply with quote
Fuuka dying was the ONLY interesing thing in the whole manga. Without it it's just a generic forgettable waste of time.
r0verandom

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:29 am Reply with quote
Sahmbahdeh wrote:
FilthyCasual wrote:
DRosencraft wrote:

It was hilarious.

Does this... does this actually happen? Because if so, I may regret dropping the manga. It sounds like I missed out on some comedy gold!

No, he messed up.

spoiler[Fuuka #2 (great singer) is daughter of truck driver. Fuuka #3 is classroom friend who changed her looks with makeup and magic to look exactly like Fuuka #1 so she could steal Yuu from Fuuka #2.]

Manga is still very bad (still better than anime).
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:22 am Reply with quote
Quote:
In the tenth episode of the Fūka anime, which first aired in Japan on March 10, the main character narrowly escapes being hit by a truck. In the original story, however, the truck hits Fūka and she dies in the fourth manga volume.

Can't... stop... laughing...

Seo couldn't plot his way out of a Choose You Own adventure novel, let alone a manga. I can't say this is worse than when A Town Where You Live moved the story to Tokyo but this series is called Fuuka, not Love Rock.

I got to admit, I'm pretty amazed by it. Not impressed or entertained but I thought I had a grip on how bad he was by his two earlier series, Town Where You Live and the older one, you know, the one about Fuuka's mother... awkward...

Another reason I was laughing was because of "I Don't Like You at All, Big Brother" in which the harem lead eventually falls for his class rep who's into Boy's Love and while she loves him back, she admits it'd never work out because she doesn't have a penis. And while he and the audience sort that problem out, she ... gets hit by a truck. A parody of the exact drama bomb plotting that certain writers fall on when the story runs out of their control.

Oh yeah, spoiler[she survives but suffers from amnesia], another bad drama classic.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:42 am Reply with quote
While I am happy that Fuuka survived, I also wish they would show Fuuka #2. With the way the show is going, I think we should get another season so we could also see it more faithful to the manga (Fuuka dying).
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:42 am Reply with quote
I didn't know about the event in the manga ... I knew something notorious happened but somehow I managed not to get spoiled on the specifics. If the anime had followed the manga, I would have given the show props for doing something really unexpected. However, I wouldn't have had much of an emotional reaction other than that, because the show has not really done much to make me invested in Fuka as a character. And now that I know Best Girl Koyuki gets shoved aside in favour of Parallel World Fuka, I would MUCH rather have seen the manga version in the anime.
Metal Fennrir

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:55 pm Reply with quote
So... a whole new story, then. Every single obstacle in the manga gets solved with Fuuka 1 not dying. I'ma list them in spoilers, but... really. The story makes no sense now

spoiler[Fuuka lives so Yuu can't turn into the main vocalist nor sole song writer. His MC skills are now extremely poor. Also, the band has the "link of Fuuka" now: together because Fuuka is so talented, but not because they all individually want to be the best band as to surpass the Hedgehogs. The Festival is guaranteed to be a success, as well as the club concerts and tours... I can't stress enough the fact that the band with Fuuka is a guaranteed 9, while without Fuuka they have to go from a 3 to an 8 AT BEST. Since Fuuka is alive, their band will remain the same (no name change) so the sales will be better and no crisis on selling CDs will happen. Also, their music will continue to be the same, instead of focusing on a new type of sound. No Fuuka 2 nor 3... so there goes the drama. ]

I get why people wanted Fuuka 1 alive. But a change this drastic in the source material separates manga and anime into 2 different universes: one where the story is rich with twists and turns and drama and character growth, and another one where everything's easy and happy and tragedy is non-existent. I've learned to like Yuu, because he actually grows from a tag-along MC to a real MC. Now, he's... mediocre at best. I feel like this is the key difference between a story worth reading and bland content: the ability to make rash decisions, and stick to them. And here's the problem with Seo's story: a character dying is a cheap trick to induce drama and force conflict and growth. But the story needed that cheap trick... otherwise, why focus in Yuu when you can focus in Fuuka and make her the MC?

Enough ranting. I'm out
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Huh. Never read the manga but for some reason I had a feeling SOMEONE would die...I put money on Fuuka just because it made the made sense. Kinda happy it's been changed simply because that was too predictable...
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Anyone who says that having a character named Fuka die in a manga or anime called Fuka would be "too predictable" has absolutely no idea what they are talking about. Please provide a complete list of manga/anime where the titular, non-animal character dies. In the unlikely event you can even come up with one, remember to use spoiler tags.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3