• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Creators Discuss Fūka Anime's Major Story Change

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Anyone who says that having a character named Fuka die in a manga or anime called Fuka would be "too predictable" has absolutely no idea what they are talking about. Please provide a complete list of manga/anime where the titular, non-animal character dies. In the unlikely event you can even come up with one, remember to use spoiler tags.

spoiler[Kimba the White Lion, Ashita no Joe, Chrono Crusade]
But you're right, the examples aren't many. Not to mention, the deaths of those characters make much more sense in context...
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Eh, I dropped this anime after the first episode because I wasn't invested enough to keep going.

But manga-ka REALLY need to get more creative with death causes; the oncoming car/ truck is the most tired, cliche, overused, stupid, unimaginative way to kill someone. It worked fine for YYH but that was 1992; IT IS NOW 2017, GUYS.

They should try other methods like....."killed in a mass shooting" or "trampled by people in the subway" "injured in an sudden earthquake" ....hell, I've been studying the natural terror that is sinkhole; I'd love to see a character die THAT way. Laughing

It happened to a dude in Florida! Whole house and everything; they never found him. o_o

Blanchimont wrote:
Blood- wrote:
Anyone who says that having a character named Fuka die in a manga or anime called Fuka would be "too predictable" has absolutely no idea what they are talking about. Please provide a complete list of manga/anime where the titular, non-animal character dies. In the unlikely event you can even come up with one, remember to use spoiler tags.

spoiler[Kimba the White Lion, Ashita no Joe, Chrono Crusade]
But you're right, the examples aren't many. Not to mention, the deaths of those characters make much more sense in context...

OUCH that last one....there is such a hole in my heart. Anime cry

*shoos sad memories away*

Another one:
spoiler[Magical Princess Minky Momo]

.....surely there's gotta be more than just that though....
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:50 pm Reply with quote
The qualifier "well before the end of the series" ought to be added to Blood-'s challenge to further clarify the rarity and absurdity of the manga's plot choice(s). It is readily apparent it isn't unheard of for a main character, even an eponymous one, to die near the end of a series. To kill off the eponymous character well before the end spoiler[and replace them with other ones] is otherwise unheard of AFAIK.

Last edited by zrnzle500 on Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
They should try other methods like....."killed in a mass shooting"

Gantz already did this to say nothing of Code Geass (though none of the characters who were killed in that mass shooting were integral characters).

Chiibi wrote:
"injured in an sudden earthquake

Could hit a bit too close to home given Japan's problem with Earthquakes.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:14 am Reply with quote
While the manga readers perhaps a valid reason to criticize, our views are pretty much trumped by the fact that the creator himself gave his blessing to this. While I do like that Yuu has a developed relationship with Fuuka#2, I do miss Fuuka#1. Fuuka#2 is hotter but I like the personality of Fuuka#1 better.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Poor Truck-kun missed his big moment in the limelight.

Do not let hope falter, Truck-kun, for someday your story shall be told
KH91

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:53 pm Reply with quote
smh You choked. Nothing can change that.
whitesox123

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:30 am Reply with quote
Thankfully the anime producer had a brain and heart to make the change happen. I never understood how killing off the main heroinne is supposed to develop the MC. The anime developed him fine without having to kill her off and having her by his side. Seo says so Yuu can move on and pursue the band seriously but he can still do that if she is alive even more so because Fuuka is the one that got him into it in the first place.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3