• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Archers Who Always Hit Their Mark

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Archers are great support against flying enemies and those mages. Suikoden and Final Fantasy Tactics can attest to that. You should always have a long range attacker on your team. : )

Dang, my favorite Gundam opening didn't even make the list. As for the current poll, I'm totally for Incineroar: Tiger Mask in Pokémon form! :D
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:27 pm Reply with quote
...Gilgamesh? (Archer in name, though.)

Cure Aqua? Cure Beauty? Cure Heart (and basically everyone else in her time except Cure Ace)?

Zenbu-chan? Nobody else shoots missiles with a bow.

For the poll, I chose Charizard. Not because I rank my favorites by how good they are in the metagame, I just like it more than the others. And I do like Infernape, Blaziken, Volcarona, Reshiram, Victini, Arcanine, Typhlosion, Braixen, Volcanion, Salazzle. Generation V in general brought a lot of good Fire-Types in comparison to the others. But I do really like Mega Evolving Charizard. I wish it would become faster...

explosionforgov wrote:

In terms of archers that weren't on the list, I'd probably say Decidueye from Pokémon, though I'm not sure if it's appeared in the anime yet. I'm sure there's also a lot of bow-and-arrow-using Duel Monsters cards, though I can't remember any specific ones offhand.

The Pokémon Sun & Moon anime is at episode 18 at this point and none of the evolved Starters has showed up. In fact, episode 18 featured the first evolution of that saga.

Duel Monsters has Junk Archer, Number 102: Star Seraph Sentry, any form of Utopia equipped with Asura Bow (in the anime, it would be Utopia Ray), Xiangsheng Magician, Red Archery Girl, Felice (the) Lightsworn Archer, Amazon Archer, Crimson Sentry, Infernity Archer, Flamvell Archer, Subterror Nemesis Archer...just google "Yu-Gi-Oh! archer".
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Good to see those Gundam 00 themes in the top 10, loved those OPs.

yuna49 wrote:
Farangis in Arslan Senki deserves a mention in this list.

Hell yes.

Touma wrote:
If I was making my own list I would include Morgan from Tears to Tiara. She is an awesome archer and a great character, for me.

Right on. Great addition.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:35 pm Reply with quote
And that's leaving aside magical-girl archers, like Akazukin Chacha's "Holy-Up", or Sailor Mars' Flame Sniper attack.
explosionforgov

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:54 pm Reply with quote
MajinAkuma wrote:
The Pokémon Sun & Moon anime is at episode 18 at this point and none of the evolved Starters has showed up. In fact, episode 18 featured the first evolution of that saga.

Duel Monsters has Junk Archer, Number 102: Star Seraph Sentry, any form of Utopia equipped with Asura Bow (in the anime, it would be Utopia Ray), Xiangsheng Magician, Red Archery Girl, Felice (the) Lightsworn Archer, Amazon Archer, Crimson Sentry, Infernity Archer, Flamvell Archer, Subterror Nemesis Archer...just google "Yu-Gi-Oh! archer".

Ahhh, okay. I haven't really been keeping tabs on the Pokémon anime, and my knowledge of Yu-Gi-Oh! extends only to the first series, so I wasn't sure, sorry. I should have done more research before commenting.
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Tigre from Madan no Ou wasn't mentioned.

The scenes where he shot arrows were really, really impressive though.

Last edited by BlueAlf on Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Heishi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:30 pm Reply with quote
FireballDragon wrote:
So which of these characters could stand amongst the likes of Green Arrow and Hawkeye in terms of archery?

Probably Uryū, but that' just me.

Anyway, while I'm glad both Gundam 00 and G Gundam's OP songs made to the list(though DAYBREAK'S BELL should have been at least in number 2 IMO), disappointed "Believe" from Gundam SEED didn't make it to the list. That was my favorite Gundam song of all time. Is also my 3rd favorite anime OP song from the 2000's.
Vibrant Wolf

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
family film

if a guy gets beheaded by a flying arrow, then it's not for kids (I know their standards are different than ours but come on). that's all I have to say.
Calsolum

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:38 pm Reply with quote
MajinAkuma wrote:
...Gilgamesh? (Archer in name, though.)

I love how the fate series uses their category classification system so loosely.

Lets see you randomly throw projectiles(haven't seen an arrow to this day) at your enemies, sounds like an archer to me. You're hired Gilgamesh Congrats you're our 4th archer

Lets see so 5% of the time you snipe enemies from afar but 95% of the time you fight close range with swords cause you sniping fails. Hmn i'm tempted to put you down as a saber but seeing as you were once in an archery club and that spots already been taken in by the blond-chick-who-totally-swears-she's-not-a-chick you're our 5th archer.

lol i think the only traditional archer i've seen in the franchise comes from fate extra's spoiler[Robin hood]
Melchiorgk

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Heh. Read the comment on Uryu, and could not help but think of Kaei from the Giant Robo OVA. Fired one arrow into the sky, and the resulting landing arrows looked like a field of wheat.
KH91

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:56 am Reply with quote
Holy crap! Never expected Isuca to be mentioned. Not a lot of anime must have been watched for that to happen.

My ninja, Ashitaka!

Holy crap! A Gundam Seed song is not number 1 and the list isn't Seed dominated. I'm okay with #1 and I'm glad Gundam Wing is high up. Smile

When are you going to do favorite Yu-Gi-Oh! songs?

FilthyCasual wrote:
Rather than whatshername from Isuca, I'd have gone with Tigre from Vanadis. Incredible accuracy? Check. Magic beam bow that runs on the power of questionable death goddesses? Check. Having an infinitely more watchable show and readable source material? More checks than a bank.

First post does it again.
Ali07

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:52 am Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
Rather than whatshername from Isuca, I'd have gone with Tigre from Vanadis.

I was surprised to see Sakuya Shimazu on the list, especially since Isuca isn't a series many people liked. I'm in the minority...it was something I actually enjoyed, which surprised me.

But, have to agree with you on Tigre.
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:26 am Reply with quote
I'm surprised to learn Minami Takayama's band was the one who sang the gundam wing opening.

For the poll I picked Salazzle which surprises me cause it's one of the newer ones. Those hips don't lie.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Kagaome is terrible shot...spoiler[at least for most of the series. She does get better towards the end of the franchise though.] Kikyo is who you are looking for from Inuyasha.

I also add my voice in to those surprised at the lack of Tigre from Lord Marksman and Vanadis.
Woomy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:38 am Reply with quote
FireballDragon wrote:
So which of these characters could stand amongst the likes of Green Arrow and Hawkeye in terms of archery?

None. Green Arrow and Hawkeye have done some crazy things concerning archery.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3