• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Manga Market Grows 0.4% in 2016, Digital Sees 27.5% Increase

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thorfinn

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:11 am Reply with quote
Well, I don't think anyone's surprised that digital is growing and physical is declining. Overall it's good to see that the manga industry is still doing very well.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:48 am Reply with quote
wonder why we don't see more stories about manga industry folk there recognizing the often overlooked impact that scanlations have. That is, how some people are buying the manga (digital or physical) because of this. Also, "sales in Japan" does not necessarily mean the sales applied only to those living in working in Japan. For example, a person living in Honolulu uses Amazon Prime to buy a Japanese-text LN. The purchase was done in Hawaii but the sale (the product being distributed) was in Japan.
Chichiryuutei

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
wonder why we don't see more stories about manga industry folk there recognizing the often overlooked impact that scanlations have.

In my experience, scanlations create more business. I don't want to speak for others but I only use scalations for series that don't have a digital/printed English release. Examples, To-Love To, High School DxD LNs, Freezing, Sekirei, Re:Life, Saint Seiya and many others. Now, publishers finally licensed Freezing, Sekirei and guess what I have 14 volumes of Freezing, and will be preordering Sekirei.

If publishers don't want to see scalations then I'd suggest them to reassess their digital pricing and release timeframes. I shouldn't be paying $6.99+ for a digital release a year+ after the original japanese release. There's no material cost to them. Printed books cost $6-$20+ and I'm totally fine with paying that price because you've a tangible product.

Plus, I'd argue that scalations provide series with needed marketing push amongst fans
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:17 am Reply with quote
Yes, digital is the way to go. It eliminates printing costs ( saving trees in the process) and can be easily available outside Japan's boarders, increasing potential customers. In addition, older titles can get a second-life in digital formats, especially if they were not popular titles.

All they have to do is scan their catalogues and put it in digital libraries to be sold for an affordable download fee. I'm sure adults would love this, they could read manga again without worrying about cluttering their rooms full of print manga and can read at their leisure.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1