• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Shomin Sample BD+DVD

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GhostD

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:53 am Reply with quote
Yeah I did find it cringe worthy too at first but having read the LN and manga before watching the anime made it easier to bear. After that I just watched it for the laughs especially Kimito constantly tricking Aika
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:01 am Reply with quote
I didn't mind the series all that much, really liked the opening though.

My one issue with it is the MC, sometimes he's just a dick to the girls and it comes out of nowhere sometimes. He intentionally embarrasses Aika a few times just so he can laugh at her, and despite constantly acting uninterested in all the girls just because he's not interested, he out of nowhere actively berates Karen on multiple occasions and then sexual harresses her for having nice thighs. He has these moments where with no lead up he just goes from bland and uninteresting to flat out asshole jerk.

I found the girls somewhat funny, but I found Kagurazaka totally unlikable and that honestly killed the series for me.
animefan1238

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:28 am Reply with quote
Was interested in the concept, watched and I kept watching it to see how bad it would get. Not as horrible as Recently My Sister is Unusual but it's number two on my list of bad anime I've watched.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:38 am Reply with quote
the reviewer ahs nto ahnged around wit rich enoguh people so he considers the premise bad; while lackof knowledge of smartphones sounds too extreme, everything else is not par with how very rich people are (rather very rich kids). as an anecdote one of my friends worked security for "sears", the manager's soon was the spoiled rich kid, so when he went clubbing he would take the security guards along, one of the things they did was fight in behalf of the rich kids (let's say rich kid A like a girl that is hanging out with rich kid B, then both have a word fight, adn to end it they get into a fist fight, except they would not directly fight each other but make their bodyguars do it.)
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:55 pm Reply with quote
My issue with Shomim Sample is that it wasn't ambitious enough with its premise.

The excuse concept to put a male lead with an eccentric group of girls is not utilized, in other versions of the genre it becomes a battle anime or as it would be in this case it should be an over the top comedy, the cast simply ends up feeling like a check list instead of proper character interaction.

The set up has been better elsewhere, and if it is supposed to be some sort of mocking comedy on the concept of Harem it doesn't go far enough with the attempted gags.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:35 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
the reviewer ahs nto ahnged around wit rich enoguh people so he considers the premise bad; while lackof knowledge of smartphones sounds too extreme, everything else is not par with how very rich people are (rather very rich kids). as an anecdote one of my friends worked security for "sears", the manager's soon was the spoiled rich kid, so when he went clubbing he would take the security guards along, one of the things they did was fight in behalf of the rich kids (let's say rich kid A like a girl that is hanging out with rich kid B, then both have a word fight, adn to end it they get into a fist fight, except they would not directly fight each other but make their bodyguars do it.)

I'm sorry but what exactly are you trying to say here?
Lord of Fire

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
maximilianjenus wrote:

I'm sorry but what exactly are you trying to say here?

That Theron's view on the premise may not be as ridiculous and preposterous as he believes it to be, and that there apparently are (very) rich kids who behave not much different than the characters in the show do.
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:27 pm Reply with quote
I think I watched fifteen minutes of episode one and dropped it like a bad habit guess it's good thing I never "powered through" it. Gone and rightly forgotten it seems which is kind of sad because Studio Silver Link used to be one of my favorite studios but "paying the bills" I guess.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:47 pm Reply with quote
What's so bad about a premise/setting being ridiculous and unbelievable?
Blue21

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:

It's hard to take seriously and breaks your suspension of disbelief as you mentally run down a list of things wrong with a story. It's not surprising that people wouldn't find that enjoyable except maybe as hate-watch material.
shadowmaksim

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Blue21 wrote:
Yuvelir wrote:

It's hard to take seriously and breaks your suspension of disbelief as you mentally run down a list of things wrong with a story.

There's something very ironic about this statement.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Blue21 wrote:
It's hard to take seriously and breaks your suspension of disbelief as you mentally run down a list of things wrong with a story. It's not surprising that people wouldn't find that enjoyable except maybe as hate-watch material.

But... that's the point? You're not supposed to take that setting seriously and neither does the series. It's absurd and they celebrate it, there are LOTS of series with far-fetched settings (even WORSE than this one) that are very much praised by the community like, say, Kill La Kill or One Punch Man.

Don't get me wrong, throughout its duration Shoumin Sample is very uninspired a lot of the time and on the production side it's among the weakest stuff that Silver Link has ever made. But criticizing it almost solely for its setting is very shallow.
This anime got 99 problems but the setting ain't one.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Midori Days is the queen of absurd anime premises ("I was a delinquent but now the girl who has a crush on me has transformed into my right hand"), and from that splutter-worthy foundation a sweet and surprisingly watchable show was born.

I've only been watching anime for twelve years, but I've experienced a lot of shows in that twelve years. And from what I've learned, it's not the premise that's important, it's the execution of the premise. Engaged to the Unidentified has a boring setup ("girl turns sixteen, finds out she's engaged to a mysterious boy who moves in with her"), yet because of its exceptional writing and charming energy it is one of the best high-school romcoms out there.

In my opinion - based only on the first episode which was all that I could stand - where Shomin Sample fell down is that the overall execution was crap. Put its dumb premise aside for a moment and all you're left with is an unfunny*, lazy, and ultimately boring high-school harem show. That's the real problem. There's a tonne of anime out there featuring a boy attending an all-girls (or mostly all-girls) school, and Shomin Sample offers up nothing fresh or interesting to differentiate itself.

But hey, at least it wasn't nearly as awful as Infinite Stratos. That particular turd is the benchmark by which I judge all terrible anime.

Okay, I thought there were a couple of good jokes, but they didn't come close to saving the entire production.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Overall, I had fun watching Shomin Sample. The girls' personalities were pretty funny to watch. However, the inopportune appearances of the Muscle Men dampened the experience a bit.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
the inopportune appearances of the Muscle Men dampened the experience a bit

You got me mad now!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2