• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Amagi Brilliant Park

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:41 pm Reply with quote
harminia wrote:
On the rapper etc thing, Kanye's sister is named Ice Cube

She's his aunt, not sister.
princess passa passa

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:47 pm Reply with quote
End up watching this by mistake couple years ago and was a little hesitant with it being KyoAni and all and at the time I wasn't in the mood for their brand of slice of life.
But man I'm also happy I did! I loved this series, the humour really got me and the seiyuus for the main humans were perfect.
I did pick up on Kanye and Queen Latifah but the 50 cent one went by me...
Like the reviewer said it's one the more fun anime I've had the pleasure of watching, really reminded me of the humour of Fumoffo (KyonAni did that bit too).

Last edited by princess passa passa on Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
harminia

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:48 pm Reply with quote
EmperorBrandon wrote:
harminia wrote:
On the rapper etc thing, Kanye's sister is named Ice Cube

She's his aunt, not sister.

Is she? Well, regardless, his relative of some description is Ice Cube.
zrdb

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:41 pm Reply with quote
I really liked Amagi Brilliant Part-the storyline was pretty unique and the characters were well fleshed out. I think it has pretty good rewatchability.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:18 pm Reply with quote
I wholeheartedly second James' review! I tried the show on a review here and so glad I did. Seemed like it would be stupid and lame, but the writing was so tight and direction was so good that KyoAni absolutely succeeded in creating a memorable, really funny and sometimes touching show. The dub carried the comedy well, which is a feat in itself. I can't get over Macaron putting the "druth" seed in Isuzu-chan's curry and the shinanegans that followed!
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Amagi Brilliant Park is just that: brilliant! The English dub is as awesome and wacky as I hoped it would be when I got my copy of the show in the mail. This is a comedy worth your time, especially with how it handles the day-to-day tasks and balancing it with the magical hilarity.

To Ashlee: You and your husband's collections are amazing. Keep up the fine work and expand, expand, expand!
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:29 am Reply with quote
[quote="harminia"]
K.o.R wrote:
Shelf Life wrote:
Amagi Brilliant Park (or Amagri)

Isn't it "AmaBri" (amaburi)?

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I haven't watched the dub nor seen the official DVD subs (they're different to the official streaming dubs is all I know), so maybe that's what Sentai called it?
tbh amagri sounds kinda gross and awkward. Where does gRi come from?
/quote]

I didn't look at the official subtitles yet, but I have listened to the dub. They definitely say Amabri. No g sound to be heard.

I ordered the LE of this and I'm really glad I did. It's the most fun I've had with an anime in quite a while. Both me and my boyfriend laughed our asses off. The casting in the dub was spot on. I really can't recommend it enough for those who loved Fomoffu.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:22 am Reply with quote
[quote="WingKing"]
EricJ2 wrote:

I'd forgotten about the JAV character entirely, but I definitely remember that scene with Tiramie now that you mention it (and speaking of VAs doing multiple roles for KyoAni, Tiramie's seiyuu also played Fuko in Clannad).

it'sbecause they don't say JAV in teh substitles, since they are already Japanese they say AV
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:17 pm Reply with quote
WingKing wrote:
EricJ2 wrote:
And Sylphie's complete Out-There-ness.

In hindsight, Sylphie was also Tomoyo Kurosawa's first voice role with KyoAni, which she followed up with her fantastic performance as Kumiko in Euphonium.
Since studios generally don't have much to do with sound recording directly, and since the two shows have different directors and producers, I believe the more significant fact is that AmaBri was the start of the creative relationship between Tomoyo Kurosawa and the sound director Yōta Tsuruoka (who was also on the production committee for Eupho). While it's true that he's worked on pretty much everything KyoAni has done since Fumoffu (i.e. everything except for the original Munto OAV; not sure about the ONA's), he isn't their staff member and he's worked on lots of other anime as well.

Anyway, my favourite things about the show were Sylphy's antics and Kanie's narcissism/jerkiness, as well as pretty much the entirety of episode 8.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:41 am Reply with quote
I finished the BR for Amagi earlier this week and was impressed all over again by this series. For as much fun as it is, it also has a surprising degree of emotional resonance in its climax. Other highlights for me were Sylphy's behavior at just about any point in the series and pretty much all of episode 6 (the one where spoiler[Isuzu gets fed the truth-forcing fruit]), but there wasn't a single episode that I thought fell flat.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
James_Beckett
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I finished the BR for Amagi earlier this week and was impressed all over again by this series. For as much fun as it is, it also has a surprising degree of emotional resonance in its climax. Other highlights for me were Sylphy's behavior at just about any point in the series and pretty much all of episode 6 (the one where spoiler[Isuzu gets fed the truth-forcing fruit]), but there wasn't a single episode that I thought fell flat.

That is something I was especially impressed by. Usually in a comedy series you'll have at least one groaner of an episode, but every single entry had something fun and unique to bring to the table, including the OVAs.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Other highlights for me were Sylphy's behavior at just about any point in the series

spoiler[Skeleton! Ack!]

I just can't stop laughing at spoiler[her antics with Kanie's office chair]. It works hilariously in both languages, a rare case of that. XD
John Thacker

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:10 am Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
Sena being named after 50 Cent went right by me, but I did wonder about Kanie and Latifah.

Her name in Japanese is Sento Isuzu, written 千斗 いすず The normal way to write Isuzu as a name with kanji is 五十鈴, which literally means "Fifty Bells." Hence (switching around to Western name order), her name Isuzu Sento can be read as "Fifty (Bells) Cent".

Also note that for Kanie, it matters that the Seiya in his name, 西也, starts with the character for "west."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2