• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Quick Answers Part 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I notice blurays these days, anime or otherwise, have fewer features than when they first were introduced. I liked it when the disk remembered where I left of even after removing it from the player and the bookmarking ability. Why not utilize this anymore? Seems the only thing still being used are pop up menus.

I don't know about bookmarking but Blu-Ray players still have the former feature (for some reason).
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:36 am Reply with quote
The boob-grope I think is also to appease to the yuri fans a bit. That fan service is actually something I wish did not happen (this is coming from a "To Love-Ru Darkness" fan).
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:02 pm Reply with quote
San Francisco has actually dubbed some anime and games.They handled the dubs of Saikano and Jojo's OVAs,and some games like Clock Tower 2,Zone of The Enders,Shadow of Destiny and most of Telltale games.
peno

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Regarding Canadian dubs, I think there's another thing that plays to the decline. In past there were a not so small number of Canadian companies who licensed anime, but most of those either went defunct or have no interest in anime any more. That surely played a role here.
Primus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:04 pm Reply with quote
peno wrote:
Regarding Canadian dubs, I think there's another thing that plays to the decline. In past there were a not so small number of Canadian companies who licensed anime, but most of those either went defunct or have no interest in anime any more. That surely played a role here.

Were there really? Nelvana and Cookie Jar are the only ones that immediately come to mind and neither did more than a small handful of kids shows. Nelvana exists and is still occasionally involved with anime projects (they were supposed to launch a Battle of the Planets/Gatchaman reboot this year, but it seems that's not happening). Cookie Jar got absorbed by DHX who'd rather produce animation themselves.

So many issues caused that decline. The US recession pushing the Canadian dollar up and killing off distributors reeling from the burst of the anime bubble. The lack of support from Canadian broadcasters. LA studios getting more competitive. Shifts in how people watch things decimating the primary revenue stream for English dubs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3