• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Voogie's Angel Thoughts: Bad Anime (or So Bad It's Good?), but Good Radio Dramas

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:13 pm Reply with quote
(This is talking about this anime here: anime#93)

I know (and deep inside of me I know), this is a bad anime, but I still find it kinda enjoyable, more so the concept of it. I'm surprised no one's actually reviewed this anime on this website (I dunno if it'll even get one) but if I had to grade it, I'd put it like this:

Overall (dub) : B-
Overall (sub) : B+
Story : D-
Animation : C
Art : C
Music : B-

+ Good concept, characters are likable art and animation are actually quite good for a Masami Obari anime (minus two covers I saw), excellent voice acting, opening and ending songs

− Characters, while likable, are underdeveloped, underdeveloped story that doesn't deliver as much as it should have, bad pacing, cheesy dialogue at spots, art/animation are still mediocre, other music is just "there", random tone shifts, unresolved, confusing ambiguous ending

I also checked out to see what the radio dramas this anime was based upon were like and without spoilers they're actually better written than what this OVA provided for a story (it should have been more than 3 episodes), plus it doesn't have those random tone shifts that was one of the things that made it bad. Should I post a link to them (they're fan translations, but I dunno if it would be breaking rule #9?)?

I'm kinda thinking this OVA actually wasn't originally planned to be 3 episodes long, but was maybe planned to be more like a longer anime that used the stories of this radio drama, I mean, had it been like this, or maybe even one entire movie (these sound like all of these could even well paced enough to fit a movie, I'm not sure what the ending would have been though had it been listed), then it probably would have been better, or to quote Jerry Beck, a lot of ink and paint might have been used for better things.

This is an anime that definitely should be rebooted, it could use the concepts better and the story could even be better and the characters could be more relatable, I'm not sure if it would work nowadays though as the anime seems to be more obscure/forgotten (and only merchandise I found was a Merrybell figure, nothing else, and there's supposedly a manga but I've found no scans), nor if any of the original VAs could return...but I hope there could be a possibility, but don't let Toei try to touch it (then again I heard DBS's animation has improved), nor J.C. Staff...J.C.'s animation quality really is not the best (only good things they did in my opinion were Utena and Shin Captain Tsubasa).

What do you think? Just something I thought I'd bring up.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1