• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - What Is "Key Art" And Why Is It Important?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KH91

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Key visual.

What do you feel when you see this?
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:56 pm Reply with quote
^
Seeing this visual of VRAINS has gotten me excited for cyber-surfing! Smile
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:02 pm Reply with quote
It's a young man and a ghost getting electrocuted while being chased by a humanoid creature and a dragon with a halo! The humanoid creature is getting ready to slice the ghost in two, and the young man is showing us a brown portal.

I get the idea behind this though: Fast-paced excitement with a cyberspace theme. The card indicates this is a Yu-Gi-Oh! series.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:14 pm Reply with quote
KH91 Wrote:
Quote:

Disoriented. It is an incoherent confusing mess.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:15 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Also, what are some examples of anime produced without key art? What do their home video releases and such look like?

It's very old now, but the old CPM releases of Patlabor had no key art. All the good promotional art was owned by Akemi Takada instead of the licensor, so all we were allowed to use were blurry old 35mm sides of screencaps. Those disc covers looked like butt and everybody knew it. Manga Video ended up commissioning new artwork for the movies.

ADV's old City Hunter TV discs had no key art. You can tell that some of them are badly traced from screenshots. This is actually pretty common with older shows, since artwork was stored physically back in the day. They'd be sent out to get used for something and just never come back.

Anime publishers have had to get really creative. We've scanned old LD covers, old issues of Newtype, composited screenshots... you name it. But sometimes a licensor has no art AND doesn't allow us the freedom to use whatever we find. And that's a real problem.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:27 pm Reply with quote
I always suspected something like that was the reason behind a lot of the craptastic old DVD and VHS covers back in the day. But credit where it's due, some of them did do well given the resources they had.
Panoptican

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:06 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Also, what are some examples of anime produced without key art? What do their home video releases and such look like?

It's very old now, but the old CPM releases of Patlabor had no key art. All the good promotional art was owned by Akemi Takada instead of the licensor, so all we were allowed to use were blurry old 35mm sides of screencaps. Those disc covers looked like butt and everybody knew it. Manga Video ended up commissioning new artwork for the movies.

Oh is that why my Castle of Cagliostro DVD cover looks so bad? It's just a screenshot from the movie.

DVD cover: http://imgur.com/a/RSC9S
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:35 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
All the good promotional art was owned by Akemi Takada instead of the licensor..

I've met her a couple times and she does peg me as the type of person that would hang on to their artwork solely because they know how much it would sell for at auction. It's rare, but she's not alone in doing this. Several artists, like Atsuko Nakajima, make it a part of their contract, especially if they work on the OP/ED/character design aspect. In Nakajima's case, she kept all the OP/ED artwork she worked on for Hakuouki.

Quote:
This is actually pretty common with older shows, since artwork was stored physically back in the day. They'd be sent out to get used for something and just never come back.

It was also very common for studios to sell this artwork, meaning that, if something were to be released a decade later, there would be very little, if any, of that original artwork available to use. A perfect example is Madhouse, who, back in the mid-2000s, was facing a serious financial crunch (though I had heard from the seller that it was also because Madhouse did not want Disney to have it as they were, at that time, in talks of having Disney buy a controlling stake). While I have no idea as to how much was sold, I would say that a good chunk of the hankens produced for Cardcaptor Sakura are no longer in Madhouse's possession. This includes all of the artwork used on the DVD covers. I recently noticed that one of the CCS hankens that I own is being used in the newest promotion as a clear file. I'm interested to know if the reason they could only offer it as a CF was because the scan they made back in 2005 is not at a high enough resolution for them to make anything larger.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:48 am Reply with quote
Well, that explains the low quality of some of the artwork for some of these DVD covers or that they just used a screenshot. I just assumed it was because the English-language people weren't able to contact whoever's responsible for providing artwork or that such people refused to hand them over and not that they didn't exist at all (or that they lost them).
Hikarunu

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:35 am Reply with quote
I always ended up hunting key art on Y****.** because man lovely official art.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:23 am Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
It was also very common for studios to sell this artwork, meaning that, if something were to be released a decade later, there would be very little, if any, of that original artwork available to use.

The originals, yes. Artwork would usually be stored and delivered to publishers as photographic chromes (basically like 35mm slides, except much bigger). They'd only make so many of these, and after a few years they'd get lost.
Mikeski

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:30 pm Reply with quote
KH91 wrote:
Key visual.
[big picture removed]

I feel something is being sold to eight-year-old boys.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2