• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 1st Berserk Anime Film's Title Revealed

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ranemoraken

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:07 am Reply with quote
Spoiler-ish ->
spoiler[
Well, both Puck and the Behelit were introduced by characters and situations that didn't really matter in the first place. They COULD compress the Black swordsman arc down to the single apostle. But with the "Golden Age I" they probably wont.

FANS WIN!!!!!!!

It sounds like that the movie might just do things chronologically, and put the black swordsman arc after the Golden Age. I'm not sure which climax works better in which order. The first arc spoils the ending to the second one, but the second arc has a better climax than the first.

Although everyone and their mother "Prophesized" about the climax of the second arc anyway.]
Useful

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Dangerr wrote:
While I'm certainly thrilled that they're not going to try doing the entire Golden Age arc in one movie, I'm still concerned over how they're going to handle the Black Swordsman arc, as it is -necessary- for Puck's introduction, how Guts acquires the Behelit he carries to this day, and the simple fact that it works better as a prologue to the series rather than just starting in chronological order from the beginning of the Golden Age.

Still, I'm happy with this news.

I wouldn't say that the Black Swordsman ark is necessary for Puck. It's not much of a challenge to have him introduced separately or at a different time. I'd even say the same for the Behelit. Hell, the whole ark is a little slow, and beyond what you mentioned, kind of irrelevant. However, I do think that there's space for it in this movie, as long as it's truncated. We might even see the entire "arc" done as an intro to this movie. In fact, I can see how his acquisition of the Behelit at the beginning would be a great transition into the Egg of Conqueror and his times with Griffith.

TL;DR: the Black Swordsman ark was too long in the manga. I hope they keep it as an intro in this movie, if not remove it entirely.

Also, this is definitely only the first half of the Golden Age. Notice the hyphen in the original Japanese title. It separates Ogon Jidai (golden age) and Hen 1 (ark one), which the translation doesn't. They mean to do two movies for this ark.

The only thing I'm really worried about for this movie is the choice of directors. They seriously couldn't get anyone higher profile than the animation director for Gunbuster?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2