• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - How Do Hikikomori Afford Their Expensive Hobbies?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
albanian

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:52 am Reply with quote
harminia wrote:
AyanamiRei wrote:
Were the "Yokoso to NHK" novels translated in english or another western language?
If anyone knows some movie build on the hikikkomori phenomenon or even video documentaries (I remember watching one on the french national assembly channel), I would also like to know them.

Yes, but only one volume, and by TokyoPop.

As well as the novel, of course, the 8 volume manga adaptation and 24 episode anime series are also still available and, even though ten years old or so now, are still (for the most part) quite reasonably priced.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:52 am Reply with quote
Paiprince wrote:
Not true when the term "basement dweller" exists and is used as an insult to people who don't have their life sorted out and confine themselves at home. Even Urban Dictionary has an entry of it.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=basement+dweller

Not really the same thing, though. A basement dweller might be somewhat of a shut-in with a pathetic job, but a hikikomori is a near-absolute shut-in with no job.
Paiprince

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:
Paiprince wrote:
Not true when the term "basement dweller" exists and is used as an insult to people who don't have their life sorted out and confine themselves at home. Even Urban Dictionary has an entry of it.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=basement+dweller

Not really the same thing, though. A basement dweller might be somewhat of a shut-in with a pathetic job, but a hikikomori is a near-absolute shut-in with no job.

Not all basement dwellers have jobs, just as not all hikkis are jobless. Reread the article. The former do engage in informal online occupations.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2