• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Your Name. (English Dub)

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GDMaid Man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:11 pm Reply with quote
I lucked out, there are 2 theaters in the state that are showing it and one is in town only 3 miles from me. They have both subbed and dubbed, so I just bought a ticket online for a subbed showing. The early Sat. morning (the 8th) show has several seat sold already, so I had to grab my favorite seat before it was gone. It had screened the last Funmation movie, so I figured it would have this one too.

So it's GITS this Saturday and Your Name next Saturday.
SaiyamanMS

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:33 am Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
Treeborn wrote:
And I sat there waiting for the movie to end afterwards. And in that time, I realized a huge plot hole that just took me out of the entire movie - spoiler[in all the time they spent in each others bodies, neither one of them noticed that they're living in different years?] How is that possible?

I don't think that's particularly weird. spoiler[How often do you check what year it is? That's generally something you have to do deliberately, and they had no reason to assume time-travel was occurring. As Jacob said, the month and day are the same (and I guess neither was a leap year?). My phone doesn't display the current year anywhere obvious. I think most people have had the experience of forgetting what year it is a few times shortly after New Year's. Factoring in the distraction of inhabiting someone else's body, it'd be an easy detail to miss.]

spoiler[Not picking up on the year is fair enough, but what about not picking up on the days of the week? The same date in different years falls on a different day.]
Woomy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:16 am Reply with quote
Your Name was good, but I don't really know why it's been getting the kind of praise it has been getting. The animation is gorgeous and the characters all pretty easy to root for in this cute, rather unconventional love story. But it is rather flawed.

I think its biggest issue was the jarring tonal shifts throughout. The third act in particular almost feels like a completely different movie at times. It doesn't all flow as well as it should.

That being said, when my brother decides to check it out, I'll probably watch it again and watch this version.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:28 am Reply with quote
SaiyamanMS wrote:
spoiler[Not picking up on the year is fair enough, but what about not picking up on the days of the week? The same date in different years falls on a different day.]

spoiler[It's an alternate universe where a year is 364 days. Or, y'know, the same anti-time-paradox magic that made them forget about each other made them lose track of the current day of the week and/or day of the month.]

...Oh, and there's the obligatory "it's good, but it's not great, because it's flawed in vaguely-defined ways" post. Was wondering when that would show up.
GlassesMan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:01 am Reply with quote
Quote:
...Oh, and there's the obligatory "it's good, but it's not great, because it's flawed in vaguely-defined ways" post. Was wondering when that would show up.

Okay? The plot holes aren't vague at all though? spoiler[The time travel especially suffers from this as if Mitsuha was saved by Taki in the past, she should have always been saved, not saved at that particular time.] Noticing actual flaws isn't a way for people to be unfair to a good movie.
Woomy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:06 am Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
SaiyamanMS wrote:

spoiler[It's an alternate universe where a year is 364 days. Or, y'know, the same anti-time-paradox magic that made them forget about each other made them lose track of the current day of the week and/or day of the month.]

I'm pretty sure this is the first time I've commented on Your Name on this site, and I just left a general thing pointing out exactly what I thought its biggest issue was. The jarring tonal shifts throughout aren't an issue? I think that's a fair criticism.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:41 am Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
SaiyamanMS wrote:

spoiler[It's an alternate universe where a year is 364 days. Or, y'know, the same anti-time-paradox magic that made them forget about each other made them lose track of the current day of the week and/or day of the month.]....
Weekdays follow a four-year cycle and on the fifth year the days of the week fall on the same dates, so that works for the spoiler[2011/2016] combo.

^ At Woomy, I love Shinkai and your name, but I had the same impression. In fact, at the first insert song I thought the movie had ended as the visuals were like an ED!! Almost raged at the screen at AX, but then the movie continued and it did seem like it was a three episode set pasted into a movie.

As for the praise, I suspect some reviewers are succumbing to the intellectual temptation to gloss over flaws if a lot of people are praising a work very highly. And about that praise, I've been saying for months that the Japanese popularity is not fully related to the movie's merits but is tied to emotional wish-fulfillment connected with the 2011 tsunami as the reviewer mentioned (and for which another reviewer chewed me out for not "spoiler" tagging in another article BTW!) so it won't have the same appeal for a general audience. I rank your name #2 or #3 among Shinkai's other work and only in the top 20 of anime in general.

Last edited by Hiroki not Takuya on Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Alexis.Anagram

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:56 am Reply with quote
Woomy wrote:
Your Name was good, but I don't really know why it's been getting the kind of praise it has been getting. The animation is gorgeous and the characters all pretty easy to root for in this cute, rather unconventional love story. But it is rather flawed.

I think its biggest issue was the jarring tonal shifts throughout. The third act in particular almost feels like a completely different movie at times. It doesn't all flow as well as it should.

I agree. I saw this subbed back in February and thought it was a pretty solid movie, but I was bothered by this, too. Like in the very beginning of the film, after spoiler[Shinkai sets the tone for the film with a quiet, reflective prologue accompanied by his usual breathtaking scenic imagery, and then BAM STANDARD ANIME J-ROCK OPENING.] And it just keeps happening throughout the movie: Shinkai draws the viewer in with extended sequences of fantastic film-making, only to give in to his worst instincts and indulge some amateurish narrative twist or kill the steady pace of the work by needlessly ramping up the tension.

This film just doesn't have the restraint and clarity of vision which makes for a truly moving viewing experience, in my opinion. I did like it for what it was, but the popular hype and critical adoration for the film is lost on me. I'm also not sure if it can survive a dub but I'd be interested to find out.
Ms. Cherry Rose

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:01 am Reply with quote
So where I'm at, they had the movie showing in both subbed and dubbed. I chose the dubbed version (not because I dislike subbed) but because I didn't want to miss anything important. To me, it would have been hard trying to read every single line while paying attention to the movie. I fully intend to watch the subbed version when I get my own copy but the dub wasn't bad at all. I know the subbed version is pretty good (based on all of the responses I've read and/or heard) but I have to agree with everyone else so far. Out of all of his works, this one was a lot better. I enjoyed 5 centimeters per second and I vaguely remember watching voices of a distant star. But I can understand why this movie is getting so much praise. On the other hand, I do agree with others who pointed out what was wrong with the movie. I think it's a movie worth seeing whether you see it in English or Japanese. Don't be scared off by the dubbed version. It wasn't bad but I will say I wish they had gotten someone else besides Stephanie Sheh. It took a while for her voice to grow on me but other than that, go see this movie!
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Ms. Cherry Rose wrote:
It wasn't bad but I will say I wish they had gotten someone else besides Stephanie Sheh. It took a while for her voice to grow on me but other than that, go see this movie!
I guess because I'm used to hearing her voice teenage girls, her performance didn't come off as distracting to me. However, judging by the trailers of the subtitled version the Japanese VA does sound a little more natural by comparison.
Ms. Cherry Rose

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:13 pm Reply with quote
FLCLGainax wrote:
Ms. Cherry Rose wrote:
It wasn't bad but I will say I wish they had gotten someone else besides Stephanie Sheh. It took a while for her voice to grow on me but other than that, go see this movie!
I guess because I'm used to hearing her voice teenage girls, her performance didn't come off as distracting to me. However, judging by the trailers of the subtitled version the Japanese VA does sound a little more natural by comparison.

Actually, Ms. Sheh is hit or miss for me. I can't speak for anyone else but I loved her as Eureka and Hinata. At the same time though, I dislike her work as Orihime and Usagi. That's just personal preference on my part. I know some people might find that weird but I don't think her voice is terrible. Given all of the English voice actresses out there, it could have been a lot worse. It just felt like she wasn't comfortable at first and then eventually she found her groove. Does that make sense? Totally not trying to be a jerk here. As for the subbed version, I'm definitely going to be getting my own copy of this movie whenever it's released. That way, I can watch both subbed and dubbed. That's actually a first for me because normally I like one or the other. I never like both versions but I have feeling I'll be able to switch back and forth with no problem.
Folcwine P. Pywackett

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Excellent review by Ms Ekens! Bravo!
Saw "Your Name" for the first time last weekend. Was very impressed by the story but was disappointed by the artwork. I then read Wikipedia's entry and this comment.

BEGIN COMMENT
Despite the praise he received, Makoto Shinkai insisted that the film is
not as good as it could have been: "There are things we could not do,
Masashi Ando [Director of animation] wanted to keep working [on] but
had to stop us for lack of money ... For me it’s incomplete, unbalanced.
The plot is fine but the film is not at all perfect. Two years was not
enough."[36]
END COMMENT

HOLY MOLY! Pixar and Miyazaki take up to 5 years to produce a film and Mr Shinkai did his in two years! Ms Ekens ending comment is well taken "I look forward to seeing what he'll do next." Yes indeed with this success he should have a full budget for his next film. I also look forward to that next effort.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2