• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Ghost in the Shell (2017)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CCTakato

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:16 pm Reply with quote
gwdone wrote:

I totally agree there. "whitewashing" is another one of those new buzz words people use to induce vomiting. Interesting no one every uses the term "blackwashing" of course that would be a preconditioned societal "no-no"
Actually there were a lot of anime nerds who complained about how offensive the live action Attack On Titan movies were because they didn't have any white European actors in it. Yet for some reason those movies got savaged as being the worst remakes ever even though one could argue they were just as "fine" as GITS.
the green death

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:30 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
And it gets worse...

This is absolutely brutal. I hope they racked in those pre-sales.

To be fair I feel Rotten Tomatoes scores equated directly with sales, Transformers wouldn't be a going concern.
Karasu-Lacryma

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:44 pm Reply with quote
So, I have a question that I'm rather ashamed to ask... Can someone who still hasn't seen any adaptation of Ghost in the Shell or Bladerunner or Robocop (I know, I know, I need to get on to the important things in life and watch more cyberpunk) enjoy this movie?
fathergoat

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Karasu-Lacryma wrote:
So, I have a question that I'm rather ashamed to ask... Can someone who still hasn't seen any adaptation of Ghost in the Shell or Bladerunner or Robocop (I know, I know, I need to get on to the important things in life and watch more cyberpunk) enjoy this movie?

I would say so. But I would suggest you at least watch Bladerunner at some point.
Gidam

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Hikaru Suzuhara wrote:
I find it baffling the word adaptation is constantly thrown around in the context of this franchise. None of the entries within it fit that. At best they only take influence from and refer to one another in sometimes obvious and sometimes subtle ways. You have the manga, the 1995 film and it's sequel, the Stand Alone Complex series and its movie, Arise, and even this 2017 live action version. Every one of those entries is merely a different imagining of the same universe. Just as each one features a different take on Motoko yet they all stand apart. You can tell that while they are from the same franchise they are all very different works.

they use the word because that's what fits. They are all adaptations. An adaptation can stick closer to the source like S.A.C. or they can go father out like the 95 film.

The Thing From Another World and The Thing are both adaptations of Who Goes There? The Thing sticks closer to the source than the first film but they are both adaptations.

the only thing i find weird is that people keep going back to the first film but never mention the TV series. I haven't seen the film but Kuze is from 2nd GiG, did they only take the name and look and nothing else?
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:36 pm Reply with quote
I saw this last night and thought it was ok. I went in expecting it to be like an Underworld/Resident Evil quality film. It's pretty much that but more sci-fi and worse action. It's definitely not as good as something like Edge of Tomorrow if that counts for anything. Night and day difference in quality on nearly everything but CG budget.
CCTakato

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Karasu-Lacryma wrote:
A friend of mine who's more of a casual fan of anime just finally saw the original movie the other day and she still enjoyed the live action movie even though she has no nostalgic attachment to the series, but she also agreed the anime movie was still a lot better.

As for myself, I haven't gotten to see the live action movie yet, and i'm undecided if I will or not at this point, but I think if the biggest problem the movie has is that it's an average film, I feel like people are kind of being harsh on it. Yes, I would have loved for it to be more ambitious like the Oshii film was, but coming from the Snow White and the Huntsman guy, it could have been a lot worse. And there are plenty of other titles in the GITS anime that are regarded as more average compared to the original movie like Innosense and Arise, but they're still regarded as part of the GITS universe, and plenty of fans still like those titles, even if not as much. So as long as it's not worse than Innosense and Arise, I feel like I'm at least willing to give it a shot. I'm just glad it doesn't seem to be as bad as Dragonball Evolution turned out and I hope that future anime remakes will learn from GITS' mistakes (I'm looking at you, Battle Angel Alita).
gwdone

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:51 pm Reply with quote
CCTakato wrote:
gwdone wrote:

I totally agree there. "whitewashing" is another one of those new buzz words people use to induce vomiting. Interesting no one every uses the term "blackwashing" of course that would be a preconditioned societal "no-no"
Actually there were a lot of anime nerds who complained about how offensive the live action Attack On Titan movies were because they didn't have any white European actors in it. Yet for some reason those movies got savaged as being the worst remakes ever even though one could argue they were just as "fine" as GITS.

Yeah there used to be a saying "you can't please all of the people all of the time...." but it's now blossomed into "you can't please anyone period" It's beyond a challenge to stay away from the negative things these days without total physical and digital isolation. I mean here you have people that already pre-hate this movie but feel they need to pound in their points totally bypassing any so called "discussion". For me,, If I'm that decided in my mind and heart about a movie, then what is there to "discuss"? It's like a Witch Hunt...."Quick to judge, quick to anger, slow to understand"
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Karasu-Lacryma wrote:

It's a genre flick. Sci-fi action. If that's up your alley, you can not have seen anything and still in enjoy it.
TurboWasis

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
While it looks nice, I have seen this script before. And I liked it back then a lot more. You probably remember it.

It was called Robocop.

GITS is many thing, but Robocop is not one of them.

Could not agree with you more. I've been saying the same thing.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:38 pm Reply with quote
The critical reception quickly soured but that was a given with such a late screening date.
No surprises here, besides that no one really loved or hated it. Just a sea of below to above average responses. I may watch parts of the film for the impressive looking cinematography when the Blu-ray hits (why is Hollywood cyberpunk consonantly reduced to eye candy?) and now have a question:
Reddit singled out Pilou Asbæk´s Batou as THE best part of the film. He is beyond legit in other work, so is that true? They could "Innocence" a sequel if money needs to be sparred. Hm.

About the boxoffice: Citizen Kane flopped and destroyed the meteoric career of Wellees while we all can name "rotten" films that printed money. The future of US GitS depends on it making at least 250-300 mil. with half of that in the US. Seems doable but Johansson still has Lucy to go back to in terms of "star vehicles" (Whedon is about to jump ship to DC so the Widow film is beyond dead, sadly) and only so much time in the day. Wait, Lucy got a "fresh" score? Lol.
PS: The Robocop remake was kind of ok btw. I'd buy that for a dollar! 6/10
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Holo Wolfgod

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:41 pm Reply with quote
the movie is more or less Stand Alone Complex with stuff dumbed down
Boomer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Anime reviewers who love the original movie generally agree that the live-action Scarlett Johansson vehicle is exactly the big, shiny turd that most serious anime fans expected it to be. It proves once again that just because something can be done, doesn't mean it should be done.

Although I wouldn't be happy if this movie turned out to be a good live-action adaptation, seeing it beaten to an ugly pulp fuels my displeasure even more.
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Such a shame. If they have to dumb it down anyway, why pick something like Ghost in the Shell in the first place? There are plenty of other anime to adapt that are dumb enough for Hollywood, and just as well-known.
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:18 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
There are worse things in the world than a full-body cyborg being portrayed by a caucasian instead of asian; as Mamoru Oshii points out in an interview even Makoto's name is not her original one. Oshii approved the casting and heaped praise on ScarJo, and the Japanese public didn't mind the casting (according to vox pox videos). I wish people would calm down about the whole racial thing and just judge the movie on its own merits.

I saw it tonight and found the film to be competently made, beautifully shot, pleasingly scored, and overall a reasonably enjoyable flick that was worth seeing. It did crib a lot from the rest of the franchise but I consider that to be more of a homage thing than because of a lack of ideas. I didn't expect this live action production to be on par with the 1995 film, I just wanted something that was better than Innocence and thankfully I got it.

i also saw that interview that oshii did for IGN too. unfortunately most fans dont buy it and have already declared his statements as a massive PR move cause of the backlash it was receiving from hardcore fans. while its better than innocence , i'm afraid that this here more or less proved the point that most anime have been getting at. hollywood and anime adaptations DO NOT MIX! PERIOD!!!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6