• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Ghost in the Shell (2017)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Was not impressed by it, which is actually how I felt about the 1995 movie after two decades of people praising Oshii's 5th or 6th best film. I didn't get a sense of any scene flow, it just felt as if the script took elements from the film and had their little twist. Probably gonna need to stew on it for a while.
Boomer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:59 pm Reply with quote
ninjamitsuki wrote:
Such a shame. If they have to dumb it down anyway, why pick something like Ghost in the Shell in the first place? There are plenty of other anime to adapt that are dumb enough for Hollywood, and just as well-known.

An excellent point. I wouldn't even mind so much if something like, say, Cowboy Bebop were adapted as a live-action show. It would definitely be more adaptable for North American viewers. It was even written as an homage to American noir films, with a jazz theme song and everything.
Kon'Doriano

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:35 pm Reply with quote
First of all, those first three paragraphs aren't needed. Knowing your personal experience is cool and all but does it really add to the review? Not to me it doesn't. Bringing up the whitewashing does no favors either like, how does it contribute to the review? I'd really like to know.

Second, regarding the film, I agree that the visual presentation is very nice and the script is pretty bad. I love the production values, it is amazing eyecandy when viewed in IMAX. I think the director deserves a lot of credit for how he shared his vision. From Weta Workshop's props to the CGI, it's evident that Rupert and his visionary staff put in a significant amount of effort into the production.

As for the script....oh dear. Who is the numbskull responsible for hiring two noobs and that talentless dunce Ehren Kruger to help write the script?! Especially Ehren, the one who wrote Scream 3&4 and most of the Transformers movies. The moment I saw his name in the trailer I knew the film would be fundamentally bad. The writing is so poor that, as Brian said, hindered the cast from giving great performances which is a shame because the cast is full of talented people. The story is more of a shallow polymerization of The Matrix, Blade Runner, and most notably Robocop than it is a plot worthy of the Ghost in the Shell name. The story is the very backbone of the film and the lousy scriptwriters messed it up.

The film is pretty bad but I found it to be easy to digest and ended up enjoying it anyway. Worth my $20? Sure. Worth buying on Blu-ray? Only when its cheap.
CCTakato

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:32 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:

i also saw that interview that oshii did for IGN too. unfortunately most fans dont buy it and have already declared his statements as a massive PR move cause of the backlash it was receiving from hardcore fans. while its better than innocence , i'm afraid that this here more or less proved the point that most anime have been getting at. hollywood and anime adaptations DO NOT MIX! PERIOD!!!!!!!
Oshii's words seem to me to be contradicted by the anime itself. The whole theme of the movie is about Motoko holding onto her humanity in spite of her roboticization and there's even an episode of SAC where Motoko punches Batou with his own hand when he suggests she should switch to a male body. I've been a GITS fan for years and this is the first I've heard of Motoko not being her real name unless this is something that's in the manga or something. But I don't know why some fans act like Oshii's word is the only authority on the series. I love the Oshii films but it's not like he's the creator of the series or Motoko. Why hasn't anyone asked Masumune Shirow about the movie yet? In any case, the poor reception of this movie should disprove the argument that having a famous white actress is somehow a guarantee of success.
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:41 am Reply with quote
Yeah, the series, especially Stand Alone Complex, actually had a very neutral view of technology. Not "Hurr durr technology is evil fire is scary Thomas Edison was a witch" like what I'm hearing this movie is like.
SaitoHajime101

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:02 am Reply with quote
ninjamitsuki wrote:
Yeah, the series, especially Stand Alone Complex, actually had a very neutral view of technology. Not "Hurr durr technology is evil fire is scary Thomas Edison was a witch" like what I'm hearing this movie is like.

That's actually an oversimplified comment that people are passing around describing a very specific area of the movie. Without going into any detail, it's a bit more deeper on the political scale than that when comparing it to former and current events (mostly former, 90s former).

Just like with most GitS stories, there's an overarching issue disguising an underlying problem. Both end up getting addressed to neatly wrap this movie up on an overall story level, but what I feel most people's problem lies with the Major herself as a character.

The philosophical conversations that spin from the GitS franchise usually begin or end with the Major as she continues to question who she is and her entire existence. The Major in this film doesn't have that issue by the third act as it's mostly revealed and resolved. By doing this, the screenwriters have taken away any major (no pun intended) draw for the franchise: the mystery of the Major. It's quite unfortunate.

The movie is good and a better Hollywood iteration of a manga/anime than what we've received in the past, but screenwriters and directors keep underestimating the comprehension skills of their audience. Simplifying stories to be better understandable is the wrong way of doing things. That is limiting creativity and conversation for the sake of making more money (pretty standard flair, no surprise).

Honestly, I think what's happening is many are allowing their initial reactions run their opinion and not really giving any time to digest what occurred.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:04 am Reply with quote
Since when do we allow critics to be the arbiters of what is a success or not. The box office will do that. If the movie makes a net profit, it is a success.
Actar

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:48 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
And while I also at first looked askance at the casting choice for the lead role, I didn't have much of a problem with it in execution.. I also thought the movie made a subtle dig at complaints about "whitewashing" with its major plot twist. That struck me as rather clever, actually. Frankly, there's nothing specifically Japanese about the Major other than her name, so her actual race is inconsequential to the story.

Wow! Someone else picked up on it! (^o^) I thought it was actually very smart in handling the references to the anime. The fact that they used the theme of Ghost in the Shell (false memories, identities) to explain the rewriting of certain elements was as brilliant as it was meta. It starts off quite different, but as Motoko uncovers more of her past, the movie gets closer and closer to the anime.

There were a number of things I didn't like, and had mixed opinions on... but all in all, I thought it was a decent enough adaptation
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Ghost in the Shell has committed the same sin that Power Rangers did last weekend, which I expected. They may be well-made Hollywood films, but they are atrocious representations of the property names they bear. Thanks Hollywood.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:52 pm Reply with quote
ninjamitsuki wrote:
Such a shame. If they have to dumb it down anyway, why pick something like Ghost in the Shell in the first place? There are plenty of other anime to adapt that are dumb enough for Hollywood, and just as well-known.

Yeah they already adapted DragonBall as we all know and Fist Of The Northstar.

Funnily enough this comment flies in the face of "Hollywood Never Takes Any Risks" argument I've seen thrown around for like the last decade.

TarsTarkas wrote:
Since when do we allow critics to be the arbiters of what is a success or not. The box office will do that. If the movie makes a net profit, it is a success.

While I'm inclined to agree with this a movie making a profit in spite of getting savaged by critic reviews doesn't excuse legitimate issues like a sub-par script, janky direction, or meh performances. Batman v Superman suffered from at least 2 of those 3 problems.

jr240483 wrote:
i'm afraid that this here more or less proved the point that most anime have been getting at. hollywood and anime adaptations DO NOT MIX! PERIOD!!!!!!!

Ummmm just because you have anime/manga fans making that argument (who are a notoriously hard to please bunch) doesn't prove that perceived point.

CCTakato wrote:
Why hasn't anyone asked Masumune Shirow about the movie yet?

Probably because Oshii's adaptations have displaced the original manga so Shirow's assessments would matter little to many. Heck if Shirow did give the film a thumbs up on the casting or anything else, the people who've been savaging the movie over it's casting or being made altogether would still savage it over those reasons.

CCTakato wrote:
In any case, the poor reception of this movie should disprove the argument that having a famous white actress is somehow a guarantee of success.

...I don't really recall that being an argument especially as there's been nothing to substantiate it, I mean Screen Gems doesn't keep whoring out the Resident Evil films because of Milla Jovovich's name after all.

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:02 pm Reply with quote
CCTakato wrote:
Why hasn't anyone asked Masumune Shirow about the movie yet? In any case, the poor reception of this movie should disprove the argument that having a famous white actress is somehow a guarantee of success.

Well, Masamune is a famous hermit so it's hard to get ahold of him. Heck, for awhile people thought he was dead he's such a recluse. Aside from that he either A) just doesn't care (which is not a good thing) or B) he's silent because he can't say anything nice about it (which is even worse). Aside from that, it's taboo to criticize an adaptation due to professional courtesy. Rocking the boat is never looked upon well so he's staying quiet for the indefinite future.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:38 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
There are worse things in the world than a full-body cyborg being portrayed by a caucasian instead of asian; as Mamoru Oshii points out in an interview even Makoto's name is not her original one. Oshii approved the casting and heaped praise on ScarJo, and the Japanese public didn't mind the casting (according to vox pox videos). I wish people would calm down about the whole racial thing and just judge the movie on its own merits.

I saw it tonight and found the film to be competently made, beautifully shot, pleasingly scored, and overall a reasonably enjoyable flick that was worth seeing. It did crib a lot from the rest of the franchise but I consider that to be more of a homage thing than because of a lack of ideas. I didn't expect this live action production to be on par with the 1995 film, I just wanted something that was better than Innocence and thankfully I got it.

Yeah, I agree.
Nice. Looking forward to seeing it next week.

gwdone wrote:
I had no problem enjoying the movie last night. I guess the strangest thing for me was me. My emotions sort of went in a - my life is flashing before my eyes type - direction simply from the fact that this is really where anime started for me back in the 90's. During the ending credits it hit me that it's been that long ago and still everything that's put out is not only respectable, but a reminder that the great catalog of Ghost in the Shell still very much works for me. ESPECIALLY INNOCENCE.

I never see much of anything hollywood puts out, so this was a treat to see. I enjoyed the 3D for sure. The atmospheres offered some nice visual freshness. And for me it had plenty of classic scenes to carry it along. Well worth my time and money. Just give it an open mind and it should deliver. Weta Workshop did a great job. And yeah, I'm sure I could do side by side comparisons and rip it apart, but what's the use in that? I cleaned my mental slate and went in fresh knowing things would be different. That's just the way it's done in H land for most movies, so why expect this to be any different?

I'd rather this movie to exist than not. I hope people who don't know anime will get curious, investigate, and be pleased that there is a whole different world of entertainment to choose from other than what's spoon fed to the masses.

This, and especially the bolded since it seems like they did a rather good job even if there are flaws. Well said.

Key wrote:
The one thing that I didn't like about the movie was that it de-emphasized the Major's role as an elite-level hacker. Otherwise I found it to be a generally satisfying movie that was a reasonable balance of being easily accessible to newcomers and throwing lots of bones to established franchise fans. (For instance, did anyone else who has seen the movie catch that they used the opening music from the anime version during the end credits?)

And while I also at first looked askance at the casting choice for the lead role, I didn't have much of a problem with it in execution.. I also thought the movie made a subtle dig at complaints about "whitewashing" with its major plot twist. That struck me as rather clever, actually. Frankly, there's nothing specifically Japanese about the Major other than her name, so her actual race is inconsequential to the story.

Also, amusing observation: buried deep in the credits list was a minor artist named William Gibson.

Thanks, this is what I am hoping for when I go see it too. Smile
Oh yeah it seems weird that they'd downplay her top-level hacking ability since it goes so well with such a technological setting. Anyway, good to hear that there are even more bones thrown to us long time fans even beyond the highly anticipated adaptations of the some of the big iconic scenes (the water fight, etc) like what you said about the credit music.

Like you said in your later post, I'm a huge fan of the anime installments of the franchise so this is cool to hear, as I was always planning to go in fully expecting some Hollywood simplifying to go with the fully realized visuals that Weta and the art/filming staff and director seem to have pulled off.

Sorry for the lengthy quoting, but it was kind of needed.
Chester McCool

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Hearing people tear the movie apart makes me kind of glad. I'm personally hoping the box office numbers follow that trend. I really want this to be the bust that keeps Hollywood out of our hobby and industry.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:26 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

jr240483 wrote:
i'm afraid that this here more or less proved the point that most anime have been getting at. hollywood and anime adaptations DO NOT MIX! PERIOD!!!!!!!

Ummmm just because you have anime/manga fans making that argument (who are a notoriously hard to please bunch) doesn't prove that perceived point.

actually there are a lot of examples that does prove that perceived point.

Can you give out at least ONE hollywood movie that was adapted from an anime series ACTUALLY did well in the US? i guess not cause there are none.

its more or less the reason why the planned live action movie for cowboy bepop got scraped since the finally wised up and realized that this would be a massive bomb happening and it might have been an even worse bomb than the live action version of dragon ball or samuel l jackson's version of kite. dont be surprised at all if the supposed plans to make a live action version for akira also gets scrapped too.

like it or not , anime and hollywood do not mix at all and its been proven time and time again when they try.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:25 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Also, amusing observation: buried deep in the credits list was a minor artist named William Gibson.

I think I may be the only person so far that gets that and what you're making a reference too. That would be a very funny coincidence if it's just the same name. More intriguing if it's actually him. If just a coincidence that is just a tad serendipitous.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6