• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Ghost in the Shell (2017)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
N_BONKERS_P

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:49 am Reply with quote
It's amazing how many people are decrying GITS just because of dumb perceived casting problems. (Somehow still having an issue with it, even though it makes perfect sense in context of the film. Seriously, they did a great job making this totally natural in the context of the universe and story.) If you have some kind of ethical issue with this, after leaving your baggage and expectations at the door. Then you are totally helpless.

It's a series with a ton of prosthetics and cybernetic parts that change physical form, with a character that has NEVER looked Japanese to begin with, in design or the fact that it's not her REAL body. It's a synthetic one. How anyone can just brush this aside and see "OMG WHITEWASHING" is beyond inane. Just get out. Even characters like Ishikawa, which don't have an explanation for being played by non-japanese look nearly spot on to recent versions of that character visually (Arise).

And because it's not enough or not a faithful enough adaptation of the first Anime film.

The problem is, while this takes set pieces and other ideas from both that and SAC. Is that this is not at all an adaptation of that film. It states in the opening and ending credits, this is based off the COMIC. Which, if you haven't read. Is totally different from the original film. The original film took the comic and made it's own story out of it. Just as this does.

Just as both Total Recall movies are totally valid and good interpretations of their shared source material.

I can think of only one thing majorly wrong with the movie.And it's hardly a deal breaker. And something that could be interpreted any way you want.

One reviewer is quoted as saying "“Ghost in the Shell, by contrast, is a movie that says absolutely nothing,”
Which is like they didn't even pay attention to anything the movie said. What does it mean to be really human? Does the human soul transcend existing merely in a flesh and blood shell? "What happens when you try to manipulate and control the human ghost into a manufactured weapon that is more intelligent than strict robotics and AI?" As a few examples.

"The film doesn’t even bother explaining the villain’s motivation" Another quote of idiocy. Obviously, it's spelled out pretty damn clear (And heavily implied for one) what the motivation of either perceived antagonist is.

It's not perfect, but i'd give it a B easy.

Ghost in The Shell's biggest problem isn't itself. It's dumb fans and dumb people.
Deciding things with a closed off mind before even giving it a fair chance in the right way.

(Just as an FYI for the 1 post thing, I keep getting this error when trying to log in through my normal FB account. "Invalid credentials". Whatever that means)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6