• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best and Worst Anime of Winter 2017

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Scum's Wish was undoubtedly my favorite show of the season up through.. probably episode 8 or so. After which point, I feel like it really jumped ship with some of the character arc conclusions and dragged on with the will they won't they stuff a bit too long. Really the show could have salvaged itself and put it at the top had I really dug the ending, but.. while Hanabi and Mugi's conclusion was mature and thoughtful, I was not a fan of the other character arc conclusion really at all.

I chuckled a little at all of the various screencaps for Rakuga that showed up in the article. It sure was the favorite. All in all, if not for Dragon Maid, it would probably be my Best of the season as well, and it is almost certainly "The Best", regardless, but I vote with my heart a little more than some people I suppose, and Dragon Maid was phenomenally made in every regard, on top of being the most enjoyable thing I watched this surprisingly strong Winter Season.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:48 am Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Vaisaga, why do you think birds fly? Anime hyper

Gotta use those wings for something.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:05 am Reply with quote
The best for me is Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu. To quote Anne (why no entry from her in the reviewer's lists?), "Sorry, all my favorite things in the world. Currently, this show has you beat." I rather liked the bit at the end, and I still don't quite get why people are so up in arms about it, just as they don't understand why I'm not, I suppose. C'est la vie.

I also loved Dragon Maid, Konosuba and Tanya, with Kemono Friends among the pack just for its simple charm.

Best of the worst would be Spiritpact, which was really terrible, but wildly entertaining, especially toward the end when they just kept piling on the perils to keep things rolling.

Worst of the worst I have to dump on Trickster, which I kinda liked during last season, but just completely went off the rails in every way this cour - animation apparently outsourced to grade schoolers, likewise the plotting and dialog. It was clear they'd just given up during the last 3 episodes.

And then there's Hand Shakers. Yeah, the whole staff left the building before they were even done, and didn't take their phones with them. So the last person out the door grabbed everything off the tables, threw it all into a bag and sent it out.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:41 am Reply with quote
So basically:
Best: Rakugo. 2nd Best: Kobayashi. Worst: Hand Shakers. This seems to be the main formula. Can't say I don't agree. Rakugo is not for me, but I can certainly see it's a very hight quality show.
donhumberto

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:42 am Reply with quote
^^^Completely agree on Trickster. I felt sort of cheated because I was actually interested in seeing what would happen at the end but the last 3 or 4 episodes were utter crap and they managed to ruin the show (not that it was that good to start with, but at the very least it had been an entertaining ride with a very nice OST) in a way I haven't seen for a long time.
As for the best, my pick would be Onihei (seriously, that show needs more love. It's truly one of the best episodic series of this decade)
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:12 am Reply with quote
Completely forgot about Trickster. What a steaming pile of crap that turned out to be. I was interested in the reason why that guy had a wind shield. I though there was going to be some story about experiments, and why he turned out like that. HA! You wanna know why he got super powers?

spoiler[Because he was traumatized by his father. That's it. Apparently if you are stressed enough you get super-powers.]

What a bunch of shit.
Stretch2424

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:56 am Reply with quote
My favorite anime of the season is Onihei, which is basically about law enforcement in the Tokugawa period. The title comes from Hasegawa Heizou Nobutame who leads the Edo prefecture Anti-Arson and Theft Squad in a crackdown on crime, which earns him the nickname among criminals of 'Heizou the Demon', or 'Onihei'. The story in episode one was balanced and intriguing, rather than the simplistic and predictable stuff that we often get from anime. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the episodic subplots are based on a true stories. I was impressed by the professionalism behind it. The stories are well balanced; they grab your attention without wasting time, and are sophisticated enough to be rewarding to watch. Some sort of surprise/irony is typically in store in regards to the way they work out--like the professional assassin who was also on a quest to find the man who killed his father. He seemed so good as to be almost invulnerable, yet got his comeuppance in a startling way. There was a moral to the story. You get the feeling that some definite effort was put into writing these stories, rather than them being cranked out as part of the mass production of mediocre anime. On the other hand, it seems that it was agreed at some point that each episode would include a savage swordfight with plenty of blood getting spilt. The sexuality can sometimes get pretty explicit, like in the episode in which a prostitute plays a major part. The general effect is of a show which was definitely meant for adults rather than children or teenagers. Each episode introduces a new character who usually acts as the main character while the likeable Heizou provides continuity. I watched at least the first episode of almost every new anime that came out this season, and found only two completely new ones to be worth my time to watch in their entirety: Konosuba 2 and Onihei.
Ballade to g minor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:13 am Reply with quote
Best: Konosuba
Runner up: Kobayashi chi maid no dragon ultimate sweetst lolie in this season with light slice of life and antimainstream comedy easy to understand and clear visual design made by Kyoani
Worst: Fuuka,Seiren,Hand shaker
It's to many KUSO romance in this season romance with no aim and other shit visual character and many misunderstanding character tension

and the honorable mention for worse anime : Masamune-kun no ribenji

I hope spring season can recovery all the worst
I really waiting for seanai heroine to erase my disappointment

Sorry im not english
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:45 pm Reply with quote
The Good

Rakugo s2. Those liking this series ending but disliking the manga ending of Bunny Drop get the hypocrisy award winter 2016/2017 edition. BTW, both manga were written by females.

Onihei. Gets the award for most overlooked anime of the season for adults.

Tanya. Gets the sleeper hit of the season award, they said they must be NUTs to make an anime of a bully loli Smile Also gets the award for best short form anime (6 min or less) of the season, it is a war crime that nobody streamed it.

Dragon dentist. Get the best visuals of the season award, beautiful.

The Bad

Chinese Cartoons: Spiritpact, Reikenzan.

Second cours/seasons that ended as a blimp on the radar: March comes in like a lion, Rewrtite, Tales of Zestiria, Trickster, Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans.

The Ugly

Yami Shibai. Wins hands down the award for cheapest show of the session, cheap writing, lazy visuals, ugly live action scenes. Worst way to ruin what was built on the three previous seasons.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:27 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
The Ugly
Yami Shibai. Wins hands down the award for cheapest show of the session, cheap writing, lazy visuals, ugly live action scenes. Worst way to ruin what was built on the three previous seasons.

It's always looked like that--which was the concept--but the writing wasn't always so cheap.

That's what the "playground" opening is supposed to be: Traditionally, kamishibai was told by traveling storytellers with illustrated boards (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kamishibai), and some children's-story performers might interrupt halfway with "That's all there is for kids who won't buy candy", so that they'd nag their parents to buy snacks and hear the rest.
I'm beginning to wonder whether that's what Yamishibai's sudden inscrutably-unresolved "(Kaboom!)" endings are supposed to be too...Are we supposed to buy some Pocky and get an explanation for what the flippin' heck we just watched? Confused

And I haven't watched Ep. 13 yet, so I'm wondering what's the deal with that "happy" ED song?--Are they deliberately setting up for something like S3, or is it their attempt at "irony"?
If you're not going to use a Miku ED, buster, you'd better have a pretty darn good excuse.
donhumberto

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:43 pm Reply with quote
^^ Forgot to mention Dragon Dentist too as one of the best of the season. Not only it was visually stunning but it also told a compelling (if a bit short: I wish it had been a full series) story with likeable characters and a wonderful ost.
Glad to see Onihei getting some love around here too Very Happy
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Will anyone licence Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju?
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Saga of Tanya the Evil as well as Acca 13 territories clearly were/are the best animes this season. I dont get the hate for Fuuka. Yes its not the greatest show but it was far from being considered the worst. It had great music and some cool side characters. Easily worth a 6 out of 10 for me

Worst show was clearly Masamune Kuns Revenge. The shows plot, characters, music setting. Were all just so horrible i think i would almost rather watch Hand Shakers.
aldebaran66

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:41 pm Reply with quote
1. Yōjo Senki: Saga of Tanya the Evil – Award to Studio NuT for "Best New Artist." The consistently high production values never over-shadow the story. And for resisting the temptation to turn this into a mean-spirited lolicon-splatterfest (not that there would be anything wrong with that – perhaps a spin-off...).
Complaint – Only if there isn’t a second season.

2. Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon – Award to KyoAni for the best adaptation of source material. The character designs and the story are successfully softened into a charming SOL/romance. (Wait, I don’t even like SOL/romance!)
Complaint – It could use more “dragon”, and a second season.

3. Ao no Exorcist: Kyoto Fujō Ō-hen – Award to A-1 Pictures for “Most Improved” pacing and writing.
Complaint – I was mad about the end of the first series, but they got it right this time.

4. Gintama 5: BN Pictures does an admirable job on production values with nice action animation and slick character designs; Interesting back-story back-filling.
Complaint – Lack of humor and si-fi elements, the good back-stories felt too short to engage me with these important hero and villain characters. And it won’t be back for awhile.

5. Demi-chan wa Kataritai, Interviews with Monster Girls: - A pleasant SOL for special-needs high school girls and good exercise in restraint for A-1. Their usually detailed artwork is dialed back to flat and almost featureless so to not over-shadow the languorous narrative.
Complaint – Too restrained. With “Monster Girls” in the title it is false advertising when they neither look nor act like “monsters”. What is the point of being a monster if you can’t “monster out” once in a while. I expect my monster girls and boys to act up, as do Tanya, Tohru and Rin. The interesting OP is about all the action this series has. Lost opportunity, sigh…

Added to “Want to see”: KonoSuba – Based on reviews and comments.

All-in-all: A very enjoyable season for me. And I am sure I missed a lot of other good and bad stuff, but I only have so much time. If the “anime bubble” is affecting the quality of anime, it doesn’t show in these series.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Raebo101 wrote:
Something tells me I should probably watch Rakugo Shinju at some point.

Getting this sense, though I don't want it..
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5