• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Attack on Titan

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keichi-chan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:22 am Reply with quote
WTF? Why is it counted as Episode 26?! That's just confusing as hell.. Who came up with that dumb idea?
dash56

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:20 am Reply with quote
Would someone be so kind as to explain the animal imagery in the OP. That one flew over my head.
SaneSavantElla

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:53 am Reply with quote
I was prepared to get bored since I already read ahead of the events in S1. But the episode lived up to the hype (though 4 years is still too long a wait). Glad to have you back, AoT!

That final scene was the most unsettling I've ever seen in the anime yet.
spoiler[Miche transforming from badass to a helpless guy screaming and crying for his life in a space of 5 minutes] was too effective. I hope they keep the tight pacing especially if it turns out there really are only 11 episodes left... (and no subsequent seasons planned) Neutral
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:36 am Reply with quote
dash56 wrote:
Would someone be so kind as to explain the animal imagery in the OP. That one flew over my head.

I can...kind of explain it. You know how when people died in season one, often the last thing they would see is like a crow eating someone else's corpse before flying away without a care, or a praying mantis emotionlessly ripping into a beautiful butterfly? And then somebody would monologue about survival of the fittest and how you had to become savage in an uncaring world to survive, even if you wanted a peaceful life?

Well, if you blow that up to about 4000x, you get a bunch of legendary extinct animals trampling humans en masse alongside the Beast Titan, who also represents a supposedly "less-evolved" life form (as both an ape and a titan) defeating humanity in raw survival power. The dinosaurs and other largely extinct animals pictured in that shot ruled earth for waaaaay longer than humans, so it's another "remember your place in the cruel circle of life" sort of thing.

It's just incredibly silly.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:33 am Reply with quote
Second Fire Shadow wrote:
The new ED really spoiled a lot of shit. But then again, that's only if you're up to date with the manga.

I wonder how much it actually spoiled for non-manga readers. If you don't know what you're looking at, it's about as vague as the Gustav Klimt stuff in Elfen Lied.
Cephalo the Pod

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:41 am Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
The new ED really spoiled a lot of shit. But then again, that's only if you're up to date with the manga.
I wonder how much it actually spoiled for non-manga readers. If you don't know what you're looking at, it's about as vague as the Gustav Klimt stuff in Elfen Lied.
As someone who doesn't read the manga, the ED made absolutely no sense to me. Of course, since I'm recklessly impatient, I looked up spoilers for the manga out of curiosity.

I can now see where manga-readers are coming from when they say the ED is really spoiler-y, but it's paradoxical in that these blatant reveals only make sense to manga-readers.
WeNTuS

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:40 am Reply with quote
Is it me or reviewer implied that Beast Titan is just a titan like others, not human-controlled one? I did not read manga but i think it's obvious that this Titan got a human pilot in it. Or am i wrong?
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:43 am Reply with quote
WeNTuS wrote:
Is it me or reviewer implied that Beast Titan is just a titan like others, not human-controlled one?
James seems to be implying the exact opposite to me.
Quote:
Not only does he prove that some Titans can retain the intelligence of whoever is controlling them, but also that the Titans have been studying humans as much as humans have been studying them. I have some suspicions as to who might be behind that gloriously bearded façade, but the fact remains that whoever it is already makes for a compelling and terrifying antagonist.
He's apparently referring to the Titans and the humans inside them as separate entities, like how a Gundam and its pilot aren't one and the same, but he certainly seems to be implying that there is a human inside the Beast Titan. As for the "retain the intelligence" part, we've seen how Eren's Titan form sometimes acts in apparent violation of his will (like when he attacked Mikasa), and neither his Titan nor the Female Titan could talk, whether in their own voices or those of their controlling humans. By contrast, the Beast Titan appears to be 100% human in its demeanour and level of intelligence.
WeNTuS

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:15 am Reply with quote
vonPeterhof wrote:
As for the "retain the intelligence" part, we've seen how Eren's Titan form sometimes acts in apparent violation of his will (like when he attacked Mikasa), and neither his Titan nor the Female Titan could talk, whether in their own voices or those of their controlling humans. By contrast, the Beast Titan appears to be 100% human in its demeanour and level of intelligence.

Female Titan used martial arts. She followed her objective and ran when needed. Just because she couldn't talk doesn't make her less "intelligent". Also i doubt that Titan and pilot are different entities. Titan does not exist if human do not summon him. Nor does it possess unique personality. It's probably more likely a skillfull pilot can make new things happen (like talking).
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:47 am Reply with quote
^I won't argue about whether or not a Titan's perceived intelligence is a function of the pilot's skill or a sign of a separate personality (or something else entirely), because in my previous comment I was giving my interpretation of James's position rather than stating my own. On the subject of entities though
WeNTuS wrote:
Also i doubt that Titan and pilot are different entities. Titan does not exist if human do not summon him.
This is sort of entering spoiler territory for the next couple of episodes, but spoiler[think about what the "Beast Titan" meant when he said "we reside in the nape". The Titan's body isn't the "pilot" human's body except enlarged - we've seen that Eren's body remains intact inside the Titan. The Titan can't exist without Eren, but Eren can be taken out of the Titan body in order to later produce another Titan body].
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:15 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:

Eh, I'm not a fine arts major by any means but I could figure out what I was looking at and some of the plot implications from it and I have not read the manga. I probably don't understand everything that's going to happen but I feel like I got a pretty good jist of the spoiler[church conspiracy] from watching it. Especially paired with some of the opening imagery.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:25 am Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
I probably don't understand everything that's going to happen but I feel like I got a pretty good jist of the spoiler[church conspiracy] from watching it.

Most of the imagery in the ending theme has nothing to do with the storyline you mention in your spoiler tag, but rather the spoiler[history of the Eldian people] (ENORMOUS MANGA SPOILERS AHEAD): spoiler[the first Eldian Queen (who is the only Titan with nipples)], spoiler[the legend of the Devil giving the Eldians their Titan powers], spoiler[the Eldian diaspora], and spoiler[the Marleyan Eldians being transformed into Titans on the shores of Paradis].

Last edited by BodaciousSpacePirate on Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:08 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate, just as an FYI: if your spoilers are for manga-related material, you need to specify that. If you just say "spoilers ahead", then the assumption is that they are related to the anime, not the manga.

Personally, I don't mind if people refer to manga (or LN) spoilers in their posts, so long as they're properly marked as such, though some people don't want *any* manga spoilers, marked or not.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
BodaciousSpacePirate, just as an FYI: if your spoilers are for manga-related material, you need to specify that. If you just say "spoilers ahead", then the assumption is that they are related to the anime, not the manga.

Gah, I forgot. Fixed.
James_Beckett
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:

Personally, I don't mind if people refer to manga (or LN) spoilers in their posts, so long as they're properly marked as such, though some people don't want *any* manga spoilers, marked or not.

Count me among that latter group! I read all of these comments, and the spoiler tags are much appreciated Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 39