• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Ghost in the Shell Film Earns US$40.1 Million Overseas in Opening Weekend

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mawdryn

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:24 pm Reply with quote
I'm not surprised this movie did so much better outside the U.S--I think Paramount was expecting that from the start. No way was this going to be a blockbuster in America given the strikes against it (the least of it being casting, IMO).
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:54 pm Reply with quote
I plan on seeing it Tuesday with my brother. Those numbers are starting to look better, it wouldn't be surprising if China and Japan push it into the black. DVD/BD sales will certainly help as well. It isn't a runaway hit, but a sequel may not be out of the question.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:26 pm Reply with quote
I'll be seeing this with my brother for sure. We're both long time GITS fans and want to see every incarnation of the franchise. I've enjoyed ScarJo's work in the past and while the reviews are important to get an idea of how a movie is received, at the end of the day I've gotta decide for myself if it's good or not.

Hoping it's made well enough and received by the public well enough to warrant a sequel.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:57 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't be surprised if this was a huge hit in China. Speed Racer, Astro Boy, and Dragonball Evolution were all huge hits in China despite bombing in the US and Japan.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Dunno if it'll motivate you guys to see it, anyway, but Paramount uploaded more 'music vids' from the film on their Youtube channel.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:27 am Reply with quote
I can't help but wonder if the casting controversy may have soured a number of critics on the film, which would be regrettable, since it's a well-made and entertaining movie, even if it's not as impactful/thoughtful as the original 1995 film (though, in my opinion, it's still a solid entry in the overall franchise).
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:30 am Reply with quote
These numbers aren't good for the movie either. It opened in nearly every single market, and could only bring in that much. The only major markets left are China and Japan this upcoming weekend.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1219827/releaseinfo?ref_=tt_dt_dt

They spent $110 million the movie itself, and quite a bit of on advertising, so it's going to need close to $400 million worldwide to be profitable, and I just don't really see it happening. Worth noting with China, you get only 1/4 of the box office gross unless it's a Chinese co-production.
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if this was a huge hit in China. Speed Racer, Astro Boy, and Dragonball Evolution were all huge hits in China despite bombing in the US and Japan.
These weren't huge hits in China. Though back then the Chinese market was significantly smaller than it is now* (it's going to overtake North America as the largest movie market soon).
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=intl&country=CH&id=dragonball.htm
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=intl&country=CH&id=speedracer.htm
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=intl&id=astroboy.htm It was released in China but BOM isn't displaying any numbers. Given the very low foreign total though...

*If you want to see how much it's grown, check here. It's really been rapid growth, and it's no wonder why Hollywood increasingly has been heavily pandering to the Chinese in many ways.
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/intl/china/yearly/?yr=2007&p=.htm
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:42 am Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:
I can't help but wonder if the casting controversy may have soured a number of critics on the film, which would be regrettable, since it's a well-made and entertaining movie, even if it's not as impactful/thoughtful as the original 1995 film (though, in my opinion, it's still a solid entry in the overall franchise).

Reading the reviews on Rotten Tomatoes, by far the most common criticism against the movie is weak writing, with most calling it shallow, poorly organized, and imitating the original movie while throwing away most of its deeper meaning. Casting choices are almost never brought up.

The controversy can sour the box office, though it's hard to tell if it actually did. Personally, I'd say it's more likely due to an unfortunate release time, having come after a whole bunch of movies with audiences getting burned out by this point.
0nsen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:59 am Reply with quote
It would be nice if this movie bombed, to discourage adapting anime/manga/etc. to live-action in the future.

As I've said before, this shouldn't have been made, it should be quickly forgotten and never be remembered again. Amen.
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:11 am Reply with quote
0nsen wrote:
It would be nice if this movie bombed, to discourage adapting anime/manga/etc. to live-action in the future.

If that were the case don't you think they wouldn't have done it after learning from DB Evolution? And look at Death Note on Netflix. Hollywood won't stop, what are you expecting? Even with the way the numbers are looking for this movie, they'll find some other anime movie or series to try and adapt.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:48 am Reply with quote
You know, this is the only adaptation with a big name star to it in the lead. Someone who looks like the kind of popular girl who'd flip you off or look down on you in high school or college, if you said you were an anime/manga fan. So, basically, supporting this movie brings you one step closer to the opposite happening more often in this world. Unless you prefer to perpetuate those kinds of depressing outcomes like that baka Shinji. Then that's fine by me, too. But I'm sure the rest of you bros would rather do a certain something from a certain line in a certain 90's Michael Bay movie, as spoken by Sean Connery. Just saying. Rolling Eyes
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:15 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
You know, this is the only adaptation with a big name star to it in the lead.

Well there was that newcomer guy who starred in The Edge of Tomorrow... What was his name again, Tom Crews or something or other? Yeah, total nobody, carried completely by Emily Blunt.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:55 am Reply with quote
0nsen wrote:

As I've said before, this shouldn't have been made, it should be quickly forgotten and never be remembered again. Amen.

This is so weird to me. Don't like live action? Don't watch it. No one is asking you to like and enjoy these adaptions. However, it is honestly pretty disgusting to see fans behave like this towards adaptions hoping that they fail so everyone is limited to this choice.

This reminds of the Star Trek movies. Huge blockbuster hits adored by millions but hardcore fans of the original series totally despise them. Why? Why not just not watch the movie and continue watching the iteration that you enjoy?
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:19 am Reply with quote
BigOnAnime wrote:
These weren't huge hits in China. Though back then the Chinese market was significantly smaller than it is now* (it's going to overtake North America as the largest movie market soon).
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=intl&country=CH&id=dragonball.htm
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=intl&country=CH&id=speedracer.htm
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=intl&id=astroboy.htm It was released in China but BOM isn't displaying any numbers. Given the very low foreign total though...

*If you want to see how much it's grown, check here. It's really been rapid growth, and it's no wonder why Hollywood increasingly has been heavily pandering to the Chinese in many ways.
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/intl/china/yearly/?yr=2007&p=.htm

I was speaking relatively. China didn't make or break those movies, but they did apparently far exceed expectations there. At the time, Astro Boy had the biggest Chinese opening for a CGI movie: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/astro-boy-bombs-japan-takes-90562 Helps that it was a Hong Kong co-production.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:32 am Reply with quote
40 million overseas not including China or Japan? That's actually pretty darn good. I was prepared to be majorly disappointed if that was the entire overseas debut, but China/Japan are easily the largest potential overseas markets for GitS.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2