• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - The Other 100 Best Anime Movies of All Time, Part 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Since it got mentioned, it's been a long time but I remember preferring the Armitage III OVA series over the movies (the first being a compilation and the second being a decent sequel). Loved that series though. I'd really like a remake with modern animation even though it's incredibly unlikely lol.

classicalzawa wrote:
Locke the Superman-I got this since an old Mike Toole column had mentioned it as one of the greats that was a VHS only release. Well, Discotek fixed that problem, so I picked it up. I tend to enjoy scifi with psychic powers, so this was a hit for me.

Nice! I really liked this old classic!
Wingbeats

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Very nice list, so many things I've never even hear of!

I'm intrigued by The Door into Summer. I'll have to find a way to check that one out.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
That was CPM's DVD release. ADV later re-released the Area 88 OVA in its complete, 3-episode form on DVD.

Intriguing—my copy is the ADV one. It may be the case that I watched three episodes but only remembered the first and third. This may have occurred on account of my fondness for the final episode's opening theme, I reckon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fathergoat

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:51 pm Reply with quote
I would love to see Penguin Memories now. I never heard of it until now but love it when two two things that aren't supposed to be put together are.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Several new titles to look for in this: Door into Summer, A Journey Through Fairyland, Locke the Superman and Yuki.

The main thing I remember about Poppy Hill was their use of Ue o Muite Arukō as background music. That was a huge hit in the US in the 60s, inexplicably retitled as Sukiyaki. Confused Nargun's comment that "the film's framing means that Umi would be at Toudai's medical school in 1968, right at the centre of the riots," makes that choice even more interesting, since Rokusuke Ei wrote the lyrics to express his frustration over failed student protests in 1961 against the US military presence in Japan (the lyrics still sound like a love song though).

Happy to see Nasu make the list. The cycling animation in this is fantastic. If you like Yowapeda for the cycling, you'll like this (though plot and tone-wise, they're nothing alike).

I'm pretty sure I've seen an excerpt of Penguin Memories. As I recall, it's every bit as weird as the description would suggest. Smile
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:35 pm Reply with quote
I couldn't even get through Locke the Superman, it was so dull. It didn't help that the English dub was super incompetent.

Really disappointed that a non-movie like Sacred Star of Milos made the list when at least Conqueror of Shamballa was plot-relevant, intricate, and not a Mary Sue-revolved piece of fluff like Milos was.

Listing Area 88 is kind of cheating if you're doing a list of movies, but I guess whatever gets it more attention is fine. How far to paradise?

I was tickled to see Penguin Memories on the list. I wish there was a domestic release for it.

Loved seeing Battle of Gods on there, too. It is a unique Dragon Ball experience.

Last edited by penguintruth on Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see Windaria on the list, but sad to see it ranked so low.

Thanks for this overall project, Mike. I've done dozens of rec. threads here and there highlighting the lesser known and more schlocky titles of old, while purposefully avoiding the obvious like AKIRA, GitS, Ninja Scroll and whatnot. I want more people to see stuff like Windaria, but with the idea of leaving off the big names, that only applies to their most notable works?; so I guess we'll see Beautiful Dreamer and the Patlabors make an appearance?

Seeing what makes it onto the list and what doesn't, I can guess that Honneamise and DYRL will be in the top 10, which on any other overall list would be the previously mentioned and Miyazaki films. Those two, along with Five Star Stories would definitely in my top five.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Yoyo and Nene definitely deserves more recognition. For anyone who likes family fantasy adventure movies, this one is as imaginative and charming as they come. It's agreeably overdue for a western license, and I'm a little surprised it hasn't happened since it's an UFOtable movie. Until when/if that happens, we can all still watch it subbed on Daisuki.net in the meanwhile.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:45 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
Maybe the article should have a link back to the original Paste list, so we can double-check what was already on it--
I had to go check to see if Sailor Moon R: Promise of the Rose was already there, because I don't know why anyone else would put Sailor Moon S Movie on theirs.

there is a lot of fans that prefer the S movie over promise of the rose. one thing is that the series main was luna who in the series was mostly shelved off at times and invisible support character. in the S movie it was mainly about luna and her explorations on the human emotion called loved since she is a cat of course. when it came to the SM movies, most fans would say S is the top, while R is somewhat between and Super S is the worst of the movies.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
NJ_

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
4. Sailor Moon S: The Movie

The Sailor Moon S movie has the look and feel of Toei's Sailor Moon, with clean and stylized character animation and elaborate henshin sequences; prior stewards Junichi Sato and Kunihiko Ikuhara had left the franchise by this point, but their influence is still present and unmistakable.

Actually Ikuhara was still main series director at that time and didn't leave until after SuperS was done and as for Sato, he wasn't exactly gone either because he had directed some episodes of S, SuperS & Stars as well.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Once again, a great article! And I've added yet again a few things to my watch-list. I must thank you for mentioning Magical Sisters Yoyo and Nene, as well, an excellent film that I've literally never heard anyone talk about. Thanks for spreading the good word!

Although, I have to disagree with your bit about The Sacred Star of Milos; I found The Conqueror of Shamballa to be a vastly superior film. It was a fitting cap to an excellent series, one of the best, in my opinion, whereas TSSoM was basic shounen franchise movie fare, a la Naruto. And while I get that some people liked the aesthetic, it was one of the biggest turnoffs for me. To each their own, I suppose.

I'm looking forward to part 3!
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:58 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
Quote:
4. Sailor Moon S: The Movie

The Sailor Moon S movie has the look and feel of Toei's Sailor Moon, with clean and stylized character animation and elaborate henshin sequences; prior stewards Junichi Sato and Kunihiko Ikuhara had left the franchise by this point, but their influence is still present and unmistakable.

Actually Ikuhara was still main series director at that time and didn't leave until after SuperS was done and as for Sato, he wasn't exactly gone either because he had directed some episodes of S, SuperS & Stars as well.

In fact, one could say Ikuhara's influence is pretty darn unmistakable in the SuperS Movie and series...If you didn't watch Utena, you knew him for this.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:31 pm Reply with quote
I saw Yoyo & Nene was on Daisuki while I was on a free trial binge and was interested in checking it out, though I didn't get to it then as it was one that didn't require a subscription. I need to put that on my backlog list so I will get around to checking it out.
CurseTheSky

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:29 am Reply with quote
Nice List.

Interestingly enough, I just bought The Sky Crawlers game for Nintendo Wii. Didn't even know there was such a thing until I saw it!
dash56

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:41 am Reply with quote
Wow, I thought I was the only one who liked the Fatal Fury movie.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3