• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Kemono Friends

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:01 am Reply with quote
Oh, god. I don't think my heart could handle watching Serval-chan beat a hooker to death with a baseball bat.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Oh, god. I don't think my heart could handle watching Serval-chan beat a hooker to death with a baseball bat.

No, in an actual adaptation, Serval would try to use her claws, and then Kaban would say "Maybe you could use this stick--It's sort of like a tool, that would hit harder!"
"Su-goiiii...Kaban-chan, you're so smart to think of that!"
Razz
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:12 pm Reply with quote
In the clip I linked, all she does is stomp on the hood of a car for no apparent reason at the beginning (the link starts farther in). The rest is all wtf Spider Kaban-chan.

Here, enjoy some pretty scenery. Very relaxing, except for the fact that they don't seem to know where they want to go.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:59 pm Reply with quote
By the way, when I checked out some of the other videos there was one called 5 Crazy Production Facts about Kemono Friends. One of the facts was that the entire production staf was made up of only 10 people, including the director and producers!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:02 pm Reply with quote
The problem with that GTA mod is that it looks like they tried to blend a shorter model of Kaban-chan with the taller in game models, so her arms stretch weirdly and she her model head does not match up with the usual head for actions. Creating the abomination on the level of an alien cockroach crawling into the skin of farmer. I am sure there are some better things that could be done.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:52 pm Reply with quote
After watching the series I can understand why Kemono Friends is popular in Japan. The story is well made, it has memorable characters, and it is pleasant watching Kaban and Serval go on adventures.

As for the animation quality a D+ seems a tad harsh though I guess it depends on the point of comparison. I think with CGI quality an anime series should be compared only with other anime series. Even with something like Knights of Sidonia (one of the best looking CGI anime series) details such as facial animation are limited due to the budget. The CGI in Kemono Friends was not as good as Knights of Sidonia but it was visually consistent and in my opinion it was C.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Finally got around to binge watching this, and it is a very cute show about Friends.
The quirky underwhelming animation actually gives it somewhat of a charm factor as well, it is the epitome of anime in regards to "getting the shot onto the screen" but more importantly the animation had heart in keeping the quality consistent.

Another aspect that is well done is that the cerulean creatures are used sparingly and in some episodes they don't appear at all and focus on whatever Friends of the week task that is in play, in any other adaptation show there would always be a shoehorned in "battle of the week" against the ceruleans.

The is a fun watch as it isn't the regular dime a dozen Blatant otaku bait series (lets be frank, it still has some of the flavor but doesn't go overboard with it) and an important aspect in its message is that sometimes you just have to go on a small adventure if you want to find Friends.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6