• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Akashic Records of Bastard Magical Instructor (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:25 am Reply with quote

Akashic Records of Bastard Magical Instructor (TV)

Genres: Magic, Fantasy, School
Themes:

Plot Summary: Glenn is a part-time teacher at a magic school who is inclined to write "self-study" on the blackboard and then take a nap. One of his students, Sistine, gets angry and challenges him to a duel and he is easily defeated. However, when a terrible incident threatens the school, Glenn shows intense dedication to protecting his students.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Lynzee's review encapsulates my similar sentiments with
Quote:
A comedy about rehabilitating Glenn would be much more entertaining than yet another magical battle harem taking care of a rote fantasy threat.
if you are going to start off with playing up the idea that our male lead IS incompetent and set up an intentional comedic tone, role with it and double down because this could be worth a smirk.

Fighting magical threats with a class of the usual harem of cute girl wizards is almost as common as transporting a modern day male protagonist in a fantasy realm for LN adaptation works.

In effect, it would pretty much be Little Witch Academia except with a lackadaisical teacher, however LWA is still a significantly amusing show with no "real villain".

That said, I am prepared to be disappoint as it wouldn't be the first time.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:31 pm Reply with quote
A show with a true commitment to humor would have put the boys in the same uniforms as the ladies. As it is, I'm horrified that they have no glove with which to challenge others to duels!

One day, someone will make the wacky office comedy about the studio where light novel high school uniform designers work, and it will be glorious.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:41 pm Reply with quote
I have to admit this is one of the few "magical battling high school" shows where the female students actually dress like prostitutes. That I can think of. In the recently completed Schoolgirl Strikers, there was one team whose battle uniform were prostitute-y, but their regular school uniforms were normal.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:32 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

Wow, yeah those female student uniforms are ridiculous. Like that has to be up there in the trashy anime school uniforms. But I actually kind of liked this so far, there are some dudes in there too to go with the unembarrassed fanservice, of which so far it seems to be aware in a not too harmful way. I kept waiting in the episode for when we would find the teacher to be hyper competent, but the joke really does seem to be that at least so far it is not coming. The guy is a loser, deplorable that he actually could come out of it as somewhat interesting so many others being pretty serious.

If I had to make a guess, especially with how preview works and like, how good his character might be for this show will be directly related to the witch character that has made him get into this position. How can it also play against my expectations. Like he was running and the girls were walking by and I shrugged that this would be the inevitable fall on top and I was betting with myself in what the chances were he would grab her breasts, and then it did not happen.

So far this feels like a question mark, but also the one most likely to disappoint if you get your hopes up, that it would be best to give up early.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:27 am Reply with quote
Well, reviewers to the contrary not withstanding, I enjoyed the first episode. When I got to the end of the episode I was sorry it wasn't longer as I was having fun. I intend to follow the series until it gets boring.

While I agree the girl's uniforms are a bit bizarre, anime is replete with weird uniforms. I probably would not have noticed if all the reviewers hadn't mentioned them. These uniforms are no less functional than those in "The Irregular at Magic High School" which did not show anything. What I did find interesting is that the girls are only wearing a left glove (right hand bare) and that the glove seems to require straps to hold it on, though the straps should slide down the wrist. There is probably a reason for this. I wonder if lefties wear a right glove?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:03 am Reply with quote
What bugged me about the episode is somewhat similar to the reaction I have when I see an anime character is really hungry and wants to eat something but the "gag" is that the food gets taken away every time he or she goes to take a bite. That's why I never warmed to the Satania/melon bread-stealing dog gag in Gabriel DropOut. Maybe I just empathize too much with a character who is looking forward to eating something and constantly has that desire denied.

I feel the same way about a scenario where students want to be taught but the teacher is being an a-hole. This gag is already really, really, really old to me after just one episode. I really hope they don't drag it out too much longer.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Maybe we're looking at this the wrong way. What if "magic" is just a euphemism for sex work? They really are prostitutes in training, given hands-on experience dealing with the kind of asshole they're likely to run into in the field. Of course, the most basic tools of self-defense, a taser (or "shock spell" as they coyly call it), are required fundamental learning, and being able to quickly assess a threat and defend oneself are critical.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:55 pm Reply with quote
@Yttrbio

That is pure nonsense. You are welcome to think whatever you want of the show, however, I did not see a single thing that would support that interpretation.
GarethXL

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:10 pm Reply with quote
As a fan of the novels I'm really disappointed in this, although the pacing is good, felt a little rushed maybe due to they are trying to do 4 novels rather then 3 and the BGM is uninspiringly generic though never have high hopes for the composer in the first place.

My main complain is the acting for one of the main heroin, i mean not to hate on her and i don't know much about her work but seriously that is one of the worst script reading I've come across, and it isn't like one of those performance where the VA is obviously phoning it in our is it as bad as some of the recent ones spoiler[asswar2lolimaid] but rather it comes across as awkward and amateurish. I mean when harwhatever instructor who is just a side character has better acting then the main is hard not to be cynical and think that there's some sort of back room dealing like what was depicted in girlish number.

That aside the pilot was pretty decent and the end credits announcement did a good job on showcasing the relationship between Glenn and Celica and since best waifu and husbando will only show up after 4 more ep I'm going to keep watching.

The glove thing isn't a girl thing but rather it's a mage thing, the fact that the make students has none is that the character designer didn't read through the original but rather take inspiration from the comic instead, though it doesn't had much importance other then as a formality/dress code/means to challenge to a duel so meh i let it slide since up to most recent sorry I've seen the one showed in the EP was the only time it has any form of plot significance.

Finally Glenn is pretty competent to a degree he's just an ass, the series basically magical school GTO.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@Yttrbio

That is pure nonsense. You are welcome to think whatever you want of the show, however, I did not see a single thing that would support that interpretation.

Pssst, Alan45 - he was joking. He doesn't really think that magic is just an euphemism for sex work in the show.

Now, if you too were joking in your reply, and don't really think he was being serious, then I say to you ... well played, sir, well played.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:03 am Reply with quote
@Blood-

Nah, that couldn't possibly be a joke. A joke is supposed to be funny, no?? That was simply pure nonsense.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:08 am Reply with quote
Eh, not every joke lands. When I evaluate somebody's comment, I try to glean their intenti as opposed to the actual result it produces in me, personally. To me, Yttrbio's intent was not serious and reacting to it as if it was misses the mark. But is kind of funny in its own way.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:37 pm Reply with quote
To argue that not a single thing supports that interpretation ignores the uniforms.

But no, trying to cram a "sensible explanation" onto nonsense is the joke, whether you are amused or not. The joke has, in fact, become even better with Alan45's response, because the complaints (Not funny, utter nonsense) work just as well if talking about the show itself.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:31 pm Reply with quote
@Yttrbio

I disagree, but that is just an opinion. It is kind of a silly argument, which is my fault. I should have just let that one lie there.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5