• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Nichijou Sub.Blu-Ray + DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sweaf

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:31 pm Reply with quote
This is by far the funniest anime ever.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:56 pm Reply with quote
albanian wrote:
But then I'm old enough to remember that the first few episodes of Monty Python's Flying Circus bombed so dramatically that the show was almost strangled at birth. (I suspect - in the US - Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In may have had the same fate, though in the UK - post-Python - it was an instant hit.)

Laugh-In lasted six seasons and launched a whole bunch of characters and careers, and felt a lot more traditional that Python so I can't imagine it was viewed the same way.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:12 pm Reply with quote
myt favorite part was the "plot twist" in the half of the series that effectively dvides it in two halfs and kills a set of jokes but creates a new set, sicne most comedies hate killing a source of jokes; by that I mean spoiler[nano finally gong to school]
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:18 pm Reply with quote
This is one of the best examples of animation as comedy. And proves, to me at least, how important that aspect can be. A generic and poorly animated version of this show would have lost me in one episode.
The Kemono Friends review thread had a pretty interesting, but hard to follow, discussion about why animation doesn't really matter, though that's apparently not what was being said, even though that's exactly what was being said. So it's interesting that we now get another Nick review not too long after where it's on the complete opposite side of the spectrum. For me the visuals always matter. Whether they are good, bad, exactly to my tastes or not to my tastes at all, they always influence how I react to the show. In the case of Nichijou, they literally made it. As a fan of animation on its own, watching the show was like watching highlight clips on sakugabooru for any other comedy show. Every moment was so consistently inventive and interesting. https://sakugabooru.com/post?tags=nichijou
Showsni

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:18 am Reply with quote
I love Nichijou, nice that it's finally getting a release. I think my favourite character is probably either Sakamoto or Annaka.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2ypDDYDl70
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2