• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Armed Girl's Machiavellism (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:05 am Reply with quote

Armed Girl's Machiavellism (TV)

Genres: Action
Themes:

Plot Summary: Fudō Nomura transfers to a school where girls carry weapons to rule mercilessly over the boys. Shortly after transferring he becomes a target of Rin Onigawara, a member of the Five Ruling Swords that commands the school. In order break free he must defeat the Five Ruling Swords.
----------------------------------

Adapted from the manga of the same name.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

I kind of liked this first episode, although reviews seem pretty negative so far. There was some crass things like the makeup bit, but overall I don't think so badly of it. For some reason it brings to mind of Prison School, where the guys are all treated horribly, but I could not stand that show because I felt incredibly grossed out after the first episode and especially did not like treatment of guys in it. But I am liking this so far on how crazy the girls can come across, like that oni mask, and that the guy is allowed to fight back. So far he is not fighting back via sexual harassment except that bit where he apparently looked up that girl who was threatening him skirt, but it did not show anything and the reaction by the other girls to him saying purple was kind of funny.

If it especially keeps it a bit crazy might continue to be funny, although I think that a level of respect will be required.
Nimitz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:51 am Reply with quote
So, all teenage boys are potential rapists who must be beaten and humiliated to keep them from acting upon their bestial impulses? I think I shall give this show and its incredibly offensive premise a miss.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:36 am Reply with quote
Nimitz wrote:
So, all teenage boys are potential rapists who must be beaten and humiliated to keep them from acting upon their bestial impulses? I think I shall give this show and its incredibly offensive premise a miss.

You know, I went in expecting the same thing. But I enjoy seeing a man knock sexist girls down a peg the same way I enjoy seeing a woman knock a sexist man down. Instead I didn't get that feeling at all. During the fight I felt a mutual sense of respect between the two of them and despite their trash talk neither was really looking down on the other.
Nimitz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Respect for a persons fighting abilities isn't the same as respect for the person. Rin walked into that classroom with the intention of 'correcting' Nomura and didn't even bother to ascertain if he needed 'correcting'.

It's the idea behind this school which annoys me - they're teaching every girl who attends that men can't be trusted, and the only way to coexist with them is with their throat underneath your bootheel.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Doesn't the series seem to be making a point against the harsh stance against him and other (young) men? You just know that the most feminine and looking girl among the big group will turn out to be the craziest. It is a battle anime so respecting someone's fighting will be pretty much the same as respecting them as a person.

I do get where you are coming from, through the episode I was thinking that I hope the sexist girls get punished for being so harsh. But these things are always heavily over the top and sometimes you just have to sit back watch the absurdity and fight against it. Like I think back to Kill la Kill that was super absurd with student council like group on manhunts, but if you have the main character fighting against it which shows the series stance against it, you can hope that changes may come.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:33 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)
I am kind of happy how the Amou thing went, in I kind of picked up about her character was not her simply being evil, and I would not even quite say yandere either, but how it ended maybe left something to be desired. Really in general the troll that he was expelled or not was just kind of lame. The series kind of had the effect of keep making me hate the falling to violence in the moment, yet getting me to kind of forgive it later, which perhaps is just kind of natural for a battle school anime, which to repeat was mostly with the male main character and girls. Probably no bigger example than with Hanasaka who was pretty evil in one arc, and in the next we are supposed to think better of, despite being put to hate them one bit it then kind of just expects you to like them later.

I don't think I quite hate that bit. I think one of my favourite kind of bits was with Chou-ka who spent most of her time as a big brat with her spiral blonde hair, second fiddle to the foreign ojou character, Mary. But it became a bit funny when we learned that her big blonde hair is actually a wig, which she clearly wears to emulate her "sister", or also kind of funny the reaction she had in seeing the "snake". There were some pretty ecchi things in the show, not all bad, there was also this kind of side, like Mary trying to invoke it with him being not interested, that it was not too crass despite that. The biggest problem I would actually put in the show was how it handled a few of its male characters, that is gay or crossdressing stereotypes of how they were made feminine, which just seemed really wrong.

Generally the show was dumb, but I kind of enjoyed bits despite that. I give a rating of So-so (5/10), I think that I might give the fanservice as a positive for this series, as it was not as crazy as some, but generally did not distract and was fairly okay.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1