• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Martian Successor Nadesico Blu-Ray

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:27 pm Reply with quote
While I agree that Nadesico has narrative issues (and is FAR from one of the all-time greats of anime), this statement is ridiculous:
Quote:
In conversation with some other fans who were around at the time (and had any memory of the show at all) it turns out those episodes (and Gai's death) were pretty much all they remembered about Nadesico.

That implies that you talked to people who had zero interest in the show and only know it for the big event in episode 3. This would be equivalent to talking to people in the future about Madoka Magica and all they remember is the shocking event in episode 3. That event is indeed memorable, but if that's ALL you remember, then you clearly had no interest in the material. Nadesico was essentially a "proto-Genshiken", more of a look at fandom but obscuring it in a lens of a SciFi/RomCom anime rather than going for (pseudo)realism of the actual people.

(I'll point out that in Genshiken spoiler[sad-sack Madarame ALSO inexplicably ends up with a harem]) Like Genshiken, Nadesico has a fictional show the main characters follow that "happens" to have stories that are often oddly relevant to the characters. And, of COURSE, spoiler[the Martian enemies are ALSO nerd fans of the same show].

EDIT: The thing I will ALWAYS remember (and find endlessly entertaining) from Nadesico is the conversation between Yurika & the head of the UN in English on the Japanese dub.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Nadesico is in my top 3 favorite series list.
It does several things very well.. most notably going from goofy, to dead serious and back to goofy almost naturally and not awkwardly or forced. It parodies just about every sci fi and mecha series that preceded it.. from Macross to Star Trek. It's got a catchy OP song... seriously Smile

Ruri was the next Rei... however she also did something Rei did not.. her character evolved and eventually matured as the series progressed. That's about where the comparisons to Eva end.. Not that Eva was bad either mind you.

It was entertaining and for those not already noticing it... it was a pretty big deal when it came out.. Not Eva big.. but hard to find people who did not know what it was back in the days of ADV.. Just look at the posts here and the number of people replies... unsuccessful series don't get this kind of back and forth.

So again Nadesico with a C rating Rolling Eyes
20+ years later and it still holds up pretty well.
omiya

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:06 am Reply with quote
Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:
It's got a catchy OP song... seriously Smile
So again Nadesico with a C rating Rolling Eyes
20+ years later and it still holds up pretty well.

Indeed:

Moonsaber

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:34 am Reply with quote
Editing this completely to be more polite.

Zac, no offense intended, but Nadesico is an old anime and a fan favorite. There are plenty of reviews of the show out there, and I am sad to hear that you don't like it anymore.

I would really appreciate a review of the disk. You barely touched on it, and didn't even come close to reviewing the audio options, or the subtitles on this release. I really wanted to hear about the subtitles, and how the 5.1 Japanese track came out.

I used to have the Nadesico subtitled VHS release, and it was superior to even the most recent DVD release due to the producers having better control of fonts, colors, placement, and so on. Nadesico is a bit famous for how complex it's subtitles can be.

Could you take a moment and let us know more about the technical details of this release, please?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4