• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Switch Sells 906,000 Units in U.S. in March, Becomes Fastest-Selling Console in Nintendo's His

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KH91

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:09 am Reply with quote
Congrats to Nintendo. PS4 sold 1 million in 24 hours in North America. In that same time frame, Xbox One sold 1 million worldwide.

Quote:
Nintendo added that the console has sold more consoles in its launch month than any other video game system in Nintendo's history.

Not hard to do when you launch it worldwide on the same day.
chronos02

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:15 am Reply with quote
I might be spilling cold water on this, but I believe these number of consoles sold at launch between the different Nintendo consoles isn't a fair comparison.

First of all, the number of people in the US back when every console was launched used to be less, and that translates into a higher desnity purchase compared to now. What I mean is, it's not the same selling 100 in a market of 1,000 than it is to sell 100 in a market of 100,000; on the first, we're selling to a 10% of the market, whereas on the other we're only selling to a 0,1%. Obviously, there's not such a great difference between now and back in the time of each console, but the comparison should be done proportionally, not simply numerically.

Now, another issue I see here is that now, owning a console is seen as very normal, whereas back in time, the further we go, the more controversy there was; parents believing it was very harmful for children, people believeing it was something for kids that adults shouldn't have, etc. The social taboo, so to speak, was greater, meaning that owning one back then carried higher risk compared to now, and the further back, the higher the risk. Socially, that is.

Finally, there's also the novelty factor, during the olden consoles, each generational jump could be seen at the naked eye, it was obvious. Nowadays not so much, meaning the difference between a PS3 and a PS4 is not very noticeable, whereas the difference between the PS1 and the PS2 was huge, and that, too, is a factor that makes people want to own a new console more back then than they do today.

I'd like to see a fair comparison one of these days, not just the plain numerical one.
Selipse

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:06 am Reply with quote
Seems like that thing about Zelda having a 1:1 attach rate was true. What's more, the Switch version of the game has sold more copies than the Switch itself. Laughing
theNightster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:22 am Reply with quote
Even if it sells decently now...the switch could still end being Nintendo's Dreamcast if they're not careful
Wyvern

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:51 am Reply with quote
Man, some people really want to see Nintendo fail. Every time I see good news about the Switch anyplace on the internet, the comment section is full of people nitpicking the numbers in an attempt to spin the news into yet another "Nintendo is doomed" narrative.

Here's a crazy idea: An innovative new console succeeding is good for the whole industry, and that should make you happy if you like video games.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:52 pm Reply with quote
chronos02 wrote:

Finally, there's also the novelty factor, during the olden consoles, each generational jump could be seen at the naked eye, it was obvious. Nowadays not so much, meaning the difference between a PS3 and a PS4 is not very noticeable,

Actually depending on the game it is very noticeable.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:14 pm Reply with quote
This is very awesome news! Smile Congratulations Nintendo!
Gemnist

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Meanwhile, I'm waiting ever so IM-patiently for Nintendo to RELEASE SOME DEMO UNITS ALREADY!!!!
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:49 pm Reply with quote
theNightster wrote:
Even if it sells decently now...the switch could still end being Nintendo's Dreamcast if they're not careful

Basically my thought.

When HASN'T a Nintendo console sold well? (Well, maybe the Virtual Boy but it was obvious it was craptastic from day one!)

They set these consoles up to sell out quickly with the first production wave... They certainly purposely stage shipments and have shortages to create a demand! It's smart move but it's also very cynical. They know the way to hype demand for a system even when there are next to no good games for it!

Nintendo did some good things when it came out on the videogame console market but they also started a lot of the crummier backroom manipulation and sleazy business practices in the gaming industry, too. Third-party developers were all too happy to leave Nintendo's strangling S & P rules and high licensing fees and go over to Sega and Sony when they launched viable, competing consoles that were successful.

I'm not a fanboy -- I'm equally cynical about all these companies (they're ALL crooked!!!) BUT if I were in the market to buy a console this would be the very last one I would buy. I'd wait at least a year to see what's going on with it. See what developers and people who've owned the system for a while have to say about it. Right now, it's just too early. You want to see if they've learned their lesson after the Wii and Wii U or if they're just yanking people's chains because they know the system has no meat to it!

It already feels too much like the Wii with the gimmicks (worst controllers I've ever played with on a system, PERIOD!) and these differently-designed controllers that I'm sure don't work well with every game. The controllers didn't ultimately sink the Wii and the Wii U but it was this indifference to getting quality titles on a timely basis. Where was the decent third party support? It was a good thing the Wii was originally backwards compatible with the Gamecube because the decent third-party support wasn't there with the Wii! How often did Nintendo come out with a good game? 3, 4 times a year? Is that really enough to justify getting one of their consoles? Why would any company think their machine is going to survive on the whims of casual players?!?!? If you don't have the hardcore gaming crowd support, your system is not going survive on games that look and play like Beta demos!

I felt the same way when I owned a PSP. Great piece hardware if yours DIDN'T break but ultimately the quality games just weren't arriving fast enough. There were some LONG waits... I ended up watching more movies on my PSP than playing games!!!
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Still not buying the hype. This system has nearly all of the Wii U's mistakes written all over it.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:38 am Reply with quote
Selipse wrote:
Seems like that thing about Zelda having a 1:1 attach rate was true. What's more, the Switch version of the game has sold more copies than the Switch itself. Laughing

Yeah, I find that really weird that there are more copies of Breath of the Wild sold than Switches. Maybe some people got the game pre-emptively and will get a Switch later?

I'm one of the people with a Switch who does not have Breath of the Wild, for the record.

Gemnist wrote:
Meanwhile, I'm waiting ever so IM-patiently for Nintendo to RELEASE SOME DEMO UNITS ALREADY!!!!

Do you mean the ones available in stores? It IS kind of weird they're not there. But it may be they're trying to figure out a secure way to do it. It carries the same theft issues as the Wii, only there are now two Joy-Cons and they're both a lot smaller than the Wii Remote.
nynextew

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:50 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

Yeah, I find that really weird that there are more copies of Breath of the Wild sold than Switches. Maybe some people got the game pre-emptively and will get a Switch later?

I'm one of the people with a Switch who does not have Breath of the Wild, for the record.

Maybe people bought collectible copies of Breath of the Wild? Like one to play and one to keep on a shelf?
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:35 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

Stock restrictions, perhaps! Out of casual interest, do you anticipate this device will enjoy a fair modicum of third-party support, or will it have to rely on the same crutch of its predecessor in the form of runaway in-house successes?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Heishi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
Man, some people really want to see Nintendo fail. Every time I see good news about the Switch anyplace on the internet, the comment section is full of people nitpicking the numbers in an attempt to spin the news into yet another "Nintendo is doomed" narrative.

Here's a crazy idea: An innovative new console succeeding is good for the whole industry, and that should make you happy if you like video games.

The comments here just reinforces this point.
vision33r

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:14 am Reply with quote
How do they sell almost a million and it's never in stock.

Wait a sec, they're all on eBay that's who really is buying them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2