• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime on Netflix

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Divineking

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:42 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Sadly, relyat08, I think you are right. In many ways, from a public awareness point of view, being on Netflix is probably the most damaging platform. At least shows that are on Amazon have a chance of getting episode reviews at ANN, like Onihei did last season. Although, even at that, I'm convinced there would have been more chatter about Onihei if it had been on CR.

I've seen quite a few people argue this, but it's not exactly true. If you're looking at things purely from the perspective of hardcore anime fandom then yeah, Netflix seems to hurt awareness the most but what's lost in hardcore anime fans is gained in casual viewers as I've talked with quite a few people who don't normally watch anime but discovered shows like The Seven Deadly Sins or Magi through the service. In a lot of respects, Netflix is actually a better vehicle for getting stuff out to a wider audience than say Toonami is (much as I love the block personally) and the fact that their anime titles are about as visible and available as the other shows on the service already makes it way less harmful than Anime Strike in the long run.

Mind you all of these benefits could be reaped while still throwing the hardcore anime fandom a bone and making their newer pickups available through a weekly simulcast the same as they do for some shows in other countries, but in the grand scheme of things stuff being on Netflix does have it's perks for the industry aside from just the obvious bits of extra money for licensing fees.
gedata

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:51 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Netflix has both seasons (24 episodes)

Slight correction. Ajin's got 13 episodes per season for a total of 26.
hickey92

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:05 am Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:

I've seen quite a few people argue this, but it's not exactly true. If you're looking at things purely from the perspective of hardcore anime fandom then yeah, Netflix seems to hurt awareness the most but what's lost in hardcore anime fans is gained in casual viewers as I've talked with quite a few people who don't normally watch anime but discovered shows like The Seven Deadly Sins or Magi through the service. In a lot of respects, Netflix is actually a better vehicle for getting stuff out to a wider audience than say Toonami is (much as I love the block personally) and the fact that their anime titles are about as visible and available as the other shows on the service already makes it way less harmful than Anime Strike in the long run.

This! I originally got into anime five years ago because Netflix in the UK at the time had an amazing catalogue of anime from the last 15 or so years in dub form. They had both of the GITS movies, and all of SAC + The OVA, Baccano, Eden of the East, Afro Samurai, Black Butler, and a bunch of other less notable ones. Without being exposed to it initially through that service I probably wouldn't have watched any of it, and I wouldn't have found Crunchyroll, which I've been a premium member of ever since. Netflix is definitely good for exposing anime to more audiences outside of the core fanbase.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:52 am Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
You know what's really annoying? Other countries outside of the US sometimes acquire shows airing on TV in the US as "Netflix originals". To keep up with the US schedule and avoid piracy, they add new episodes week-to-week.

Why is this simple concept so hard for Netflix to comprehend with anime? Rolling Eyes

that is cause their still new to the game. unfortunately this whole netflix original that they tend to stick on their series is gonna end up biting them when it comes to the original license holders or to the authors since some of these series are based off of mangas and/or light novels.

Quote:
Honestly, that's a tough call. Of the nine Netflix Original anime that I have seen, GANTZ:O is the best-looking of the group, but I wouldn't call any of these titles outstanding in storytelling or characterization. By eliminating titles that are more inconsistent in quality, I'm left with the solidly entertaining Ajin and Kuromukuro, and of those two I'll go with the latter thanks to its more appealing visuals and likable cast.

The fact that Netflix seems to be picking up the pace and claiming titles a year or more ahead of release suggests that their experiment with anime is successful enough to warrant continuing. It's probably safe to say that anime will continue to be a small but significant part of Netflix's offerings for the foreseeable future.

i wouldnt say that. GANTZ:O doesnt look that visually stunning at the least but it was fun to watch.especially for fans of the series. though your definitely right about ajin and kuromukuro. those two are the top two series by far.

though kuromukuro's dub is another story and this is from a dub elitist. while the dubbing is ok, having byrce as a flat & extremely stiffed kenoskue was far too grating to the ears. after doing other male characters like melodias , eren and kirito for which he sounded top notch, he was trying too hard to sound japaneese when voicing kenoskue with that falseto voice and it got worse as the series went on. one example is in ep 3. definitely in my opinion his worst performance.

while kuromukuro may have have a subpar dub, by far the worst series of the nine is that americanized version of smile precure. its bad bad bad all on all fronts and having an all star vocal cast wont change it. i wont be surprised at all if its the least watch anime series compared to the others. hopefully for their sakes that this experiment into the past will be the last cause just as how their fanbase is praising them for their work on the other 8 series. anymore of that glitter force mess and those same fanbase will immediately turn on them in a dime.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:06 am Reply with quote
hickey92 wrote:
Divineking wrote:

This! I originally got into anime five years ago because Netflix in the UK at the time had an amazing catalogue of anime from the last 15 or so years in dub form. They had both of the GITS movies, and all of SAC + The OVA, Baccano, Eden of the East, Afro Samurai, Black Butler, and a bunch of other less notable ones. Without being exposed to it initially through that service I probably wouldn't have watched any of it, and I wouldn't have found Crunchyroll, which I've been a premium member of ever since. Netflix is definitely good for exposing anime to more audiences outside of the core fanbase.

This is something that people forget. For the long term health of any entertainment medium, there needs to be a way to introduce new fans to it. Fans fall out of the habit, die off, or stop spending money on it. Crunchyroll is a great service to have if you are already a fan, but it's extremely unlikely that someone that has never watched anime will go there to check it out. Having some anime on services like Netflix, Amazon, and Hulu increases the chance of new people stumbling across it and finding that they like it.

It's always surprising to me the number of fans I've met and talked to, who regularly Buy anime releases, or watch shows on Hulu and Netflix, but have either never heard of CR or have never used it.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:57 am Reply with quote
@ Divineking - you do raise a very valid point. I'll cop to the fact that I do look at Netflix through the filter of a hardcore fan who wants to watch shows as they come out in Japan and wants to discuss them on forums immediately. As you note, for a person like that, Netflix is a pain. But yeah, its potential as a portal to anime for those who are as yet uninitiated should not be underestimated.
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:
Blood- wrote:
Sadly, relyat08, I think you are right. In many ways, from a public awareness point of view, being on Netflix is probably the most damaging platform. At least shows that are on Amazon have a chance of getting episode reviews at ANN, like Onihei did last season. Although, even at that, I'm convinced there would have been more chatter about Onihei if it had been on CR.

Mind you all of these benefits could be reaped while still throwing the hardcore anime fandom a bone and making their newer pickups available through a weekly simulcast the same as they do for some shows in other countries, but in the grand scheme of things stuff being on Netflix does have it's perks for the industry aside from just the obvious bits of extra money for licensing fees.

Yeah, you're absolutely right. Netflix has a built in casual audience that is looking for this stuff, which is why I said their stuff still does fine numbers wise. This is part of my argument as well, but like you ended with here, there is no reason this can't be done while also simulcasting these shows. And it would be better for the industry and the community if they did simulcast. At the end of the day, maybe it's more selfishness on my part, but a show missing seasonal discussion still really sucks.

dragonrider_cody wrote:
Crunchyroll is a great service to have if you are already a fan, but it's extremely unlikely that someone that has never watched anime will go there to check it out.

This may have been more true in the past. I see Crunchyroll adds on TV, at the theater, and all over the place these days. I wouldn't be surprised if they are picking up a fairly nice casual audience at this point.
And I don't really know how much casual reach Amazon has. For one thing, it's an additional fee to get access specifically to most of their anime, and, at least for me, their site is a huge pain in the butt to navigate and find anything on unless I know exactly what I'm searching for. Prime would've been better, I feel, but having the forced additional expense of Strike probably kills a lot of that potential reach. At least there are still a couple of things on normal Prime though.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:36 pm Reply with quote
I think anime streaming on Netflix is overall a "good" thing purely from a "I can only afford to pay for one streaming service and it's Netflix" perspective. (I watch free streams on Crunchyroll and Daisuki but simply can't afford to pay for a premium account at the moment.)

I didn't finally bite the bullet and sign up for Netflix last year primarily for anime, it was because there were finally enough original shows of interest to me like Stranger Things for it to be worth it not to mention how I haven't been able to rent movies since Blockbuster closed so I'm glad to be able to watch some recent movies again. But, certainly, if there is anime on there, I will watch some of it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Generations wrote:
I see Voltron isn't on here.

Because it's not a Netflix Original Series. (At least to my knowledge, anyway.) I considered getting into the catalog titles it offers, but Netflix has this irritating deal where exactly what anime titles show as available can vary from reload to reload, so I decided not to mess with it.

It's not even anime. It's from Studio Mir (Avatar: The Last Airbender, The Legend of Korra...).

As I said in another thread, the biggest problem with Netflix anime is the lack of exposure. Most people only pay attention to what's on right now, and will use fansubs if there's no other options. If they're serious about picking up anime, they need to treat it like their original series: Full binge with no TV broadcast. This would actually make the shows better, as they don't have to rush through production.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
I think anime streaming on Netflix is overall a "good" thing purely from a "I can only afford to pay for one streaming service and it's Netflix" perspective. (I watch free streams on Crunchyroll and Daisuki but simply can't afford to pay for a premium account at the moment.)
I didn't finally bite the bullet and sign up for Netflix last year primarily for anime, it was because there were finally enough original shows of interest to me like Stranger Things for it to be worth it not to mention how I haven't been able to rent movies since Blockbuster closed so I'm glad to be able to watch some recent movies again. But, certainly, if there is anime on there, I will watch some of it.

I have almost no interest in Original Netflix Programming whatsoever ("Almost" meaning Beat Bugs, My Little Lover is about as much J-drama as I ever watch, and I still haven't finished Seven Deadly Sins in time for whatever S2 is yet), nor the new kids' desire to see it become The New Anti-Cable TV Network, and I keep my streaming subscription for what my pre-'10 generation always associates with the name "Netflix":
In My Day, Junior(tm), if you wanted to "binge-watch" episodes of a series, you rented the TV-boxset disk from Netflix-by-mail one at a time, and the appeal was that you could find just about ANY disk...You could root around the deepest catalog like Indiana Jones. That's the point about physical disks, you see, they don't disappear after licensing issues make them go OOP. Anime smile
Even if the movies were a little too popular and picked-over on first week, I would rent an old disk and my latest archeological search of an old series, one volume disk of 4-6 episodes to last me the rest of the week before going onto a different show the next week.

I still keep Netflix around because I haven't yet finished off the old Cheers, Dick Van Dyke and Star Trek reruns yet, but with more and more 20th-cty. content disappearing off of Netflix, HuluPlus is starting to fill in the void for classic reruns. Keeping NF around is becoming more of a psychological bit of denial that "Well, they're still the biggest and most mainstream...Don't want to lose that, y'know."
If there is a "Digital market" at the moment, it's for rental, not purchase, and Vudu and Amazon VOD have me pretty well set on a weekend if I want to "hit the corner Blockbuster" for a new movie I missed in theaters.
Otherwise, I happen to live in walking distance of our local library (which inherited literally the entire fondly-remembered old college-town DVD rental store when it finally went under), and it's become a Local Thing now to use the linked public library system to work out our old Friday-night Blockbuster DVD shelf-surfing urges, when we don't know what we want to watch...And TV boxsets for the rest of the weekdays. Good rental prices, too--Free. Smile
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:06 pm Reply with quote
@relyat08

While CR may be running more commercials, they are generally already on programming that has a lot of core anime fans in their audience, like Toonami. Not to mention, if someone has little experience or familiarity with anime, they aren't likely to seek out a dedicated anime site when many anime titles are available at Netflix, Hulu, AS/Toonami, etc. If you never been an anime fan, it's already unlikely that you are watching one of the shows that CR advertises on. It's even less likely if you're one of the growing number of TV viewers that consume media primarily via streaming services like Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, etc, where either they don't advertise or the service doesn't have commercials. I use mainly streaming services and only occasionally watch Adult Swim On Demand, and I've never seen a CR commercial.

It's far more likely that one of Hulu's or Netflix's millions of subscribers may decide to check out an episode of an anime on a service they already use, than they are to download a CR app or go to their site. Very specific genre streaming sites are great for fans, but do little to expand their audience. Similarly, do you think that someone who isn't into horror movies would subscribe to Shudder, or would someone with no interest in LGBT movies subscribe to Here? It's extremely unlikely.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:24 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
It's far more likely that one of Hulu's or Netflix's millions of subscribers may decide to check out an episode of an anime on a service they already use, than they are to download a CR app or go to their site. Very specific genre streaming sites are great for fans, but do little to expand their audience. Similarly, do you think that someone who isn't into horror movies would subscribe to Shudder, or would someone with no interest in LGBT movies subscribe to Here? It's extremely unlikely.

As opposed to someone who subscribes to Netflix and GETS Bollywood, K-drama, telenovelas, documentaries, micro-horror and shallow LGBT movies anyway... Mad

That's been the problem with studios' content-starvation at Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Prime:
Netflix remains one service for the majority of people who want to don't want subscriptions and just want to pay one cover charge. (Which studios see as the biggest unconquerable stumbling block to their dream of Digital Lockers, and the reason they consider Netflix the "enemy")--
While on the other, Amazon Prime's attempt to deal with the "indie famine" by going into the business of selling a key to their door for one price, plus additional premiums for each specific-interest genre channel you find there...Which nickel-and-diming is what most streaming fans jumped ship on cable to get away from.

There doesn't really seem to be any solution in sight for streaming's problem at the moment, and Amazon may end up having to go full circle back to cable and sell us two or three of their Shudder/Seeso/Impact, etc., micro-channels in discount bundles, to go with a corporately hyped Showtime or Starz streaming subscription package.
(And that's what you Cut the Cord for, folks....Happy bingeing. Confused )
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:46 pm Reply with quote
@dragonrider_cody But that is my point. I've seen multiple CR/VRV/Funimation advertisements in the theater lately. Including in front of larger Marvel Films, more action oriented stuff, and other slightly more nerdy things. I guess they're not hitting you, but I've personally experienced people who are not anime fans at all, who just happened to be sitting in the theater near me, mention that they might check it out after seeing an ad for AoT during a recent film. And that's not the only time this has happened to me. Of course, I don't know how many people these ads are reaching either, but it seems like they are pretty smartly going after fans who might be more "fringe", or likely to be interested, but just not quite on board yet.
Of course, I owe the extremeness of my own fandom largely to Netflix, so I absolutely recognize its value. I just think CR and some of the other more Otaku-focused companies are starting to do a better job of broadening their reach.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:42 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
@dragonrider_cody But that is my point. I've seen multiple CR/VRV/Funimation advertisements in the theater lately. Including in front of larger Marvel Films, more action oriented stuff, and other slightly more nerdy things.

Those ads are usually sold to go with a certain movie. Generally, commercials are sold to individual theater companies, with the exception of those short entertainment programs they have at the start. Though ultimately, those are also run by theater chains, but usually a few of them working together. Sometimes the advertiser chooses which movies to run the ads with, but not often.

I guess this would likely explain why I've never seen them in theaters, as all of our local theaters have been pretty over by Cinemark. The only ads they really run are for Fathom Events, which they also show, so it would make sense. The few others are independently owned, or run by extremely small chains that only air local ads.

And I'm not denying the fact that they are getting better in their advertising reach, but there is also a difference between having a good ad and having easy access.
CatSword

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone else remember when Netflix had a diverse collection of Funimation's older titles? It was how I discovered Baka and Test, Eden of the East, Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu, Oh! Edo Rocket, and The Slayers.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4