• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime on Netflix

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:54 pm Reply with quote
While Netflix may help expand the audience for anime, I wonder how much of that interest spills over into purchases of discs, merchandise, and the like, which are more lucrative for the production committees. My guess is that the casual anime viewer who encounters a series at Netflix might watch it, but that's probably the full extent of her involvement with a show. Moreover unless Netflix pays a per-viewing royalty as well as an up-front lump-sum payment, expanding the audience provides little financial return for the production committees. I'd still argue that the more intensive audience that subscribes to CR/Funi, follows sites like ANN, and watches and discusses shows weekly may provide a better return than showings on Netflix or Strike, especially if we are talking about "exclusives."

Earlier in this thread someone asked if there were data on the number of viewings of anime shown on Netflix or Amazon Strike. The answer is no. Unless a show is a mega-hit, there's little incentive for the distributors to post such numbers. We know how many people watch a Game of Thrones episode on HBO. I doubt we'll ever know how many people watched Madoka Magica on Netflix. Even in Japan viewing figures for shows outside the top-ten are now hard to come by.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:35 pm Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
Does anyone else remember when Netflix had a diverse collection of Funimation's older titles? It was how I discovered Baka and Test, Eden of the East, Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu, Oh! Edo Rocket, and The Slayers.

I remember. That was essentially what got me into anime. I was a casual fan prior to that, going back to around 2005 when my sister in law brought over all of her Ghibli stuff, but I happened to actually move beyond that thanks to Netflix streaming in early 2011. X'amd was actually the first thing I watched, if I remember right, then Elfen Lied, then FMP, Eden of the East and a bunch of other random Funimation and Sentai titles.
To Yuna's point, while I'm sure the number of Netflix users who do end up as hardcore anime fans is pretty small, I avoided making that argument considering that I myself converted to quite a hardcore watcher and collector of anime partly thanks to Netflix. So it does happen.
Folcwine P. Pywackett

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
To Yuna's point, while I'm sure the number of Netflix users who do end up as hardcore anime fans is pretty small, I avoided making that argument considering that I myself converted to quite a hardcore watcher and collector of anime partly thanks to Netflix. So it does happen.

Fully agree here. Although I have been an anime fan since Alakazam in the 60s, it was only after joining Netflix disk only that I discovered Anime series. If an Anime movie is like a short story, then Anime series is like a Russian novel. It is much easier to fall in love with a character after 20+ hours! But access to series has always been a problem in the US. ISP byte counts have been, until recently, severely capped. Series have not appeared in theaters or tv. Disks are very expensive and you dont know if you are going to like the series until you see it. So Netflix disk only service has been a major reveal. Of course streaming is the future
And the situation will surely change.

But Netflix has two problems with regard to Anime series on disk.

First is that they are often missing disks in a series. This is beyond irritating. I have had disks
In a series disappear while watching the series.

Second is that they are missing many of the great titles in Anime especially the more recent ones. Its almost like the buyers at Netflix dont really track Anime as a serious genre and are not up to speed.

But all in all if you happen to be in the same situation, Netflix disk only is a very good introduction to Anime.[/code]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4