• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Boruto: Naruto Next Generations

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:48 pm Reply with quote
I admit, I actually was pretty happy when the end of Naruto arrived and Sasuke and Sakura were confirmed as canon. 1) Because I actually did like them as a pairing (although not my OTP), and 2) I really liked Sarada, and that only grew as I read Scarlet Spring. But as I re-read (and eventually watch) that, and seeing the clips of Sakura and Ino's little vacation, I'm actually reminded why I grew out of liking SasuSaku as strongly and why they weren't my OTP... They really are NOT great together, and I actually do feel really bad for Sakura. Well, half of me does; the other half of me wishes I could smack her alongside the head for being so stupid.

It's a bit obvious that, in his own strange way, that Sasuke does care for Sakura and Sarada, but truly, I don't feel like it's a complete devotion. The fact that he wasn't even there for most of Sarada's life - spoiler[to the degree of not even recognizing her upon the two of them finally meeting] - just screams "deadbeat dad". Granted, I know a lot of this comes from everything in his past, but I did have a hope that, before reading Scarlet Spring, while Sasuke did travel outside of the village from time to time, that he was a lot more active in raising Sarada to give her what he didn't get to have. Seeing that basically she grew up basically without knowing jack about her father actually did make me angry. And Sakura basically finding any way she can to justify his absence and not really sharing anything with her daughter about her father and their relationship reminds me of how sadly devoted she is to a man that will never show her the same feelings.

But I digress...
To be honest, the moment I'm actually looking forward to seeing the most is at the very end of the story, spoiler[with Kabuto's re-appearance. NOW that's who I want to see more stories about. His character always amused me, with how much he had changed throughout the entirety of the series, and now we see him as this gentle-mannered father figure. I'm not sure how much about him might had been mentioned in the light novels after the main series, but man do I wish he'd get his own novel, with his story of redemption and trying to find himself and how he eventually came back to Konoha. Granted, I already have my own head canon of that, but I rather read something that's more official.

... Admittedly, a lot of my interest in Kabuto's character at this junction is to justify my love for Kabuto and Sakura as a pairing, but considering my slight and growing disdain for SasuSaku, I don't think I really need more personal justification. But that's a subject for a different thread. Anime hyper]
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Aura Ichadora wrote:
I admit, I actually was pretty happy when the end of Naruto arrived and Sasuke and Sakura were confirmed as canon. 1) Because I actually did like them as a pairing (although not my OTP), and 2) I really liked Sarada, and that only grew as I read Scarlet Spring. But as I re-read (and eventually watch) that, and seeing the clips of Sakura and Ino's little vacation, I'm actually reminded why I grew out of liking SasuSaku as strongly and why they weren't my OTP... They really are NOT great together, and I actually do feel really bad for Sakura. Well, half of me does; the other half of me wishes I could smack her alongside the head for being so stupid.

It's a bit obvious that, in his own strange way, that Sasuke does care for Sakura and Sarada, but truly, I don't feel like it's a complete devotion. The fact that he wasn't even there for most of Sarada's life - spoiler[to the degree of not even recognizing her upon the two of them finally meeting] - just screams "deadbeat dad". Granted, I know a lot of this comes from everything in his past, but I did have a hope that, before reading Scarlet Spring, while Sasuke did travel outside of the village from time to time, that he was a lot more active in raising Sarada to give her what he didn't get to have. Seeing that basically she grew up basically without knowing jack about her father actually did make me angry. And Sakura basically finding any way she can to justify his absence and not really sharing anything with her daughter about her father and their relationship reminds me of how sadly devoted she is to a man that will never show her the same feelings.

But I digress...
To be honest, the moment I'm actually looking forward to seeing the most is at the very end of the story, spoiler[with Kabuto's re-appearance. NOW that's who I want to see more stories about. His character always amused me, with how much he had changed throughout the entirety of the series, and now we see him as this gentle-mannered father figure. I'm not sure how much about him might had been mentioned in the light novels after the main series, but man do I wish he'd get his own novel, with his story of redemption and trying to find himself and how he eventually came back to Konoha. Granted, I already have my own head canon of that, but I rather read something that's more official.

... Admittedly, a lot of my interest in Kabuto's character at this junction is to justify my love for Kabuto and Sakura as a pairing, but considering my slight and growing disdain for SasuSaku, I don't think I really need more personal justification. But that's a subject for a different thread. Anime hyper]

the problem is that he's only like that due to itachi's izanami. though yea. didn't liked him as a villain. probably would have been better for that character if he was like that during the chunin exams arc instead of being a double agent.

also i was under the assumption that he already have his chance at redemption when the sound village ( where mitsuki is from as an exchange student ) was not only back . but is part of the shinobi world. when i heard that, i though he was the one that restored and reformed the sound village cause there is zero chance that the orochimaru we know would, that is unless he also felt victim to the izanami as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
animalia555

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:26 am Reply with quote
Aura Ichadora wrote:

But I digress...

A few thoughts on why Sasuke hasn't returned home since the start of his mission.

First, I think it's possible the village brings up a lot of bad memories for him. As much as he as come to respect and cherish the village as Itachi did as well as it being the home of his friends, wife and daughter, it is ALSO the SAME village that drove his family and brother into a corner. Being in Konoha has probably caused a lot of conflicting emotions for Sasuke inthe past.

Second, and more importantly, similar to Naruto, Sasuke is unsure how to be a father. Sasuke has always had trouble expressing his emotions and although he has thawed somewhat since the Valley Of The End this has never completely gone away. I would not be surprised if Sasuke was afraid that if he stuck around he would hinder Sarada's emotional development, so he probably subconsciously used his mission as an excuse to not return until it was complete. That being said I hope that Sasuke will learn from his encounter with Sarada just how much that was a mistake and start returning home more often.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Sigh, a break from Boruto's presence. Sweet relief. Anime smile
rizuchan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:31 am Reply with quote
I think it's only natural that Sarada tends to keep her intentions bottled up. Her mom is weirdly vague about Sarada's father and gets angry when Sarada presses the issue. Of course she feels like she can't talk about it. I also think Sarada is a lot more emotionally mature than her classmates since Sakura is a working mother and Sarada has to do so much to take care of the family herself. How can she possibly talk about her strained relationship with her father when her classmates make insensitive comments about her being an Uchiha and Chou-Chou is having such a childish identity crisis?

Quote:
She never even reveals her true intentions to the Hokage, going so far as to ditch him in order to meet up with her father alone.

Maybe, but it seems like the adults are pretty well aware what she's trying to do. Naruto seemed like he was quite aware that Sarada was trying to get alone time with her dad, and why else would Shikamaru let Sarada go after the Hokage, who he knows is on a dangerous mission involving the Uchiha, unless he too thought Sarada should get the chance to see Sasuke? Actually, it's a little heart-breaking how all the adults immediately catch on to Sarada's daddy issues, because they basically expect it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:25 pm Reply with quote
^ You mean... all of the adults except for the mind-numbingly oblivious Sakura. Holy Cow, can someone please be a dear and hand her a clue, because she's clearly out, or maybe never had one to begin with.

I can understand Naruto's relationship with Sasuke a *little* better than whatever is(n't) going on inside of Sakura's head. Honestly, *everyone's* inter-relationships make more sense than those that go on between Sasuke, Naruto, and Sakura. It's just bizarre, IMO.

I'm surprised that poor Sarada has turned out as well as she (seems) to have. I feel sorry for her.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Ep 21 of Sarada (They should totally rename the show for this arc): I'm glad Naruto sees through Sasuke's BS, but I wish he'd call him out on it more aggressively. Too bad a character like Shikamaru or Sai (or better yet, a plain talking kunoichi like Temari, Karui or even Tsunade) isn't around to tell him in no uncertain terms that he's doing more harm than good by avoiding his daughter altogether.
I've been suffering some major second hand embarrassment every time Cho Cho opens her mouth to an adult about finding her "real dad," but offering her potato chips to Sasuke so he'd have a gift to give Sarada when he makes up with her was so sweet and adorable, I was almost glad she came along!
Watching Sakura beat up bad guys again was unexpectedly satisfying! I'm glad she kept up her power punch skills through her years of working as a healer (who presumably wouldn't have to punch anyone). Hope she has another chance to kick butt this arc.
On the villains: why can't these professional ninjas with decades of experience in a world with all sorts of weird genetic experimentation by villains recognize a clone when they see one?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:10 am Reply with quote
So the Shin Uchiha are this world's George Foreman (and his five sons George)? Wink

It was very nice to see Sakura prove useful for once in the ass-kicking department. I actually cheered. However, she's still failing relationship-wise. While she naturally hugged Sarada on sight, she didn't even touch her husband, nor bother to heal his wounds.

Sadly Cho Cho got more touch-time with Sasuke than Sarada did.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:53 am Reply with quote
^From the other side of things, the first time seeing his wife in what we can presume is years, and Sasuke can't even be bothered to smile when she greets him. Like I know you're sold to this whole stoic loner thing dude, but you could at least give a thumbs up or something.

Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:24 am Reply with quote
I guess I just take it as a given that Sasuke will act like an asshat, so it doesn't seem worth mentioning anymore.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:01 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
So the Shin Uchiha are this world's George Foreman (and his five sons George)? Wink

Depending on the character used, "Shin" could mean "New," so I take it to mean that Father Shin sees himself & his son-clones as the "New Uchiha."

Alternatively, "Shin" could mean "Death" (as in "Shinigami"/Death God), so perhaps he's evoking "Death of the Uchiha". Or both "The New Uchiha, bringing Death to the Original Uchiha." It's a lot to bring out in a name, which is why he only needs one! Laughing
animalia555

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:39 pm Reply with quote
I feel the need to point out that in the manga Sasuke told the Gokage council that Kaguya, for all her power, still felt the need to create the White Zetsu Army. He also did some investigation and found out that the White Zetsu PREDATED Shinobi themselves. As such the has reason to believe that there isn't JUST another Kaguya type but a threat big enough to scare Kaguya HERSELF. By changing this I feel like the anime makes it seem like Sasuke is just searching for a threat that may or not be there, rather then something that has credible evidence to back it up.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:06 am Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
Like I know you're sold to this whole stoic loner thing dude, but you could at least give a thumbs up or something.

Laughing Laughing Laughing This would have been the best thing EVER! I now TOTALLY want a later episode where Sasuke sees Sakura and says nothing, doesn't change facial expressions, but suddenly ... RANDOMLY gives her a thumbs up. (thinking as I typed that, I would love it a BILLION times more if he does that and then suddenly gives a Rock Lee/Gai style smile out of nowhere)
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:36 am Reply with quote
^ If that happened, Sasuke would immediately explode. Not the TNT type explode, but the matter/anti-matter type of explode: one that would take out a significant portion of the ninja world. What you're talking about here is a doomsday scenario.
InuKag1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:18 pm Reply with quote
One of my favorite episodes so far, and lets talk about Sakura for a second, what an ENTRANCE she made in that fight! That was incredible! And Sasuke is such a JERK as usual, I can't believe the only thing he had to say was "this doesn't have anything to do with you" Really Sasuke? That's the only thing you can think to say to your daughter that you haven't seen since birth?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 31