• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Boruto: Naruto Next Generations

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:10 pm Reply with quote
SailorNaruto wrote:
The only thing I got from this episode was that Sakura is still a Sasuke fanboy well into her 30s, and that she and him win the award for worst parents of the year. Sarada has never spoken to or even seen her father, and her mother doesn't tell her jack shit about him. What kind of marriage is that? But then again you can't expect too much from a relationship where the man never showed anything remotely similar to love towards the woman (even now as adults),

Makes sense when you remember the "man" forgot how to love when his brother murdered their mother and father and to that end trolled him to encourage his hatred of him.

SailorNaruto wrote:
and the woman still proclaims her love for the man who tried to kill her. Ino really dodged a bullet

as did Temari Razz
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:33 pm Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:
Agent355 wrote:
I read their relationship as Sakura pursued Sasuke until he gave in, literally going along with him on his travels. She got pregnant and he married her to save face (which is incredibly important for clan respectability reasons, and since he's basically the only one left in his clan, that part is non-negotiable). She decided to go back to Konoha after the baby was born so that she wouldn't have to raise the baby on the run. They've been living separately ever since. That's really incredibly sad.

I don't think it's quite that delusional. I was under the impression that they had (something of) a relationship, but Sasuke took off on his mission to track Kaguya and Sakura (maybe already pregnant) chased after him because she knew he'd be gone for for-friggin-ever. And we keep seeing flashes of Sasuke and Sakura holding Sarada's hand, so it seems he stuck around for a little while when she was very young. and In the Scarlet Spring manga he even says, "My wife isn't that weak" which is something he never would have said about Sakura in the original series, and they seem to have a itty-bitty bit of intimacy. They actually kind of remind me of Bulma and Vegeta. But then again, Naruto himself finds it completely plausible that spoiler[Sakura might not actually be Sarada's mother and she's taking care of Sarada out of an obsessive love for Sasuke] so everyone else seems to acknowledge that their relationship is totally screwed up.

How they got from Sasuke poking her forehead at the end of the Naruto manga to conceiving Sarada is a story I'm desperate to hear though. Laughing

lets just hope that story of their pairing makes more sense than those from bleach. cause to be frank here, i dont know which pairing is both screwed up and doesnt make sense at all! sakura and saskue becoming a couple or ichigo and orihime.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:45 pm Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:

I don't think it's quite that delusional. I was under the impression that they had (something of) a relationship, but Sasuke took off on his mission to track Kaguya and Sakura (maybe already pregnant) chased after him because she knew he'd be gone for for-friggin-ever. And we keep seeing flashes of Sasuke and Sakura holding Sarada's hand, so it seems he stuck around for a little while when she was very young. and In the Scarlet Spring manga he even says, "My wife isn't that weak" which is something he never would have said about Sakura in the original series, and they seem to have a itty-bitty bit of intimacy.

OK, I concede their relationship may not be quite as one-sided as I made it out to be. But "my wife isn't that weak" could be a statement of pride rather than love (as in, "someone *I* married wouldn't be that weak).

Quote:
They actually kind of remind me of Bulma and Vegeta.

Bulma wasn't obsessed with Vegeta, and she didn't run after him when he left. I read their relationship as a mutual friends (housemates? acquaintances?) with benefits that eventually grew into something more on both their parts. Of course, Bulma is the richest woman in her world and she lives with her parents, which made being a single mom much easier. And at least Vegeta came back before Trunks graduated elementary school!

Quote:
But then again, Naruto himself finds it completely plausible that spoiler[Sakura might not actually be Sarada's mother and she's taking care of Sarada out of an obsessive love for Sasuke] so everyone else seems to acknowledge that their relationship is totally screwed up.

How they got from Sasuke poking her forehead at the end of the Naruto manga to conceiving Sarada is a story I'm desperate to hear though. Laughing

I think we all want that manga chapter/OVA!

BadNewsBlues wrote:

SailorNaruto wrote:
and the woman still proclaims her love for the man who tried to kill her. Ino really dodged a bullet

as did Temari Razz

Huh? When did Shikamaru seriously try to kill Temari? They fought once or twice, but they didn't have deathmatches!
animalia555

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:21 am Reply with quote
Maybe it's me But the impression I got from Sasuke, or at least the speech he gave after his and Naruto's final battle was concluded was less that he was incapable of love, and move that he had came to regard love as a weakness he couldn't afford. After that battle he has slowly opened back up. But even then Sasuke isn't really good with expressing his feelings.

I guess one thing that's help his and Sakura relationship make a weird sort of sense to me is the fact that emotions have their own weird sort of logic to them. What I mean by that is that emotions don't work in a coldly rational way but they do have their own internal consistency. I can try to set down this weird trail of emotional logic (and yes I am aware that that phrase is an oxymoron) of their relationship through part I & part II if you like. But I don't want to bother going into it if no one is interested in listening to it.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:47 am Reply with quote
So I wonder if Ichiraku Ramen brings back any fond memories for Naruto. I guess we'll never know.

/s
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:03 am Reply with quote
animalia555 wrote:
Maybe it's me But the impression I got from Sasuke, or at least the speech he gave after his and Naruto's final battle was concluded was less that he was incapable of love, and move that he had came to regard love as a weakness he couldn't afford. After that battle he has slowly opened back up. But even then Sasuke isn't really good with expressing his feelings.

I guess one thing that's help his and Sakura relationship make a weird sort of sense to me is the fact that emotions have their own weird sort of logic to them. What I mean by that is that emotions don't work in a coldly rational way but they do have their own internal consistency. I can try to set down this weird trail of emotional logic (and yes I am aware that that phrase is an oxymoron) of their relationship through part I & part II if you like. But I don't want to bother going into it if no one is interested in listening to it.

I'm interested! In Part I, Sakura was attracted to Sasuke, but she didn't know much about him as a person, and she turned him off with judgmental, ignorant views (classic example is when she insulted Naruto for being an orphan, seemingly not realizing that Sasuke was an orphan, too).
In Part II Sasuke was already gone, and Sakura (& Naruto) was obsessed with getting him back, no matter what. There might have been some subtle, underlying relationship building done, but the majority of Sakura's feelings seemed to be "crush morphed into obsession" to me, with nothing reciprocal on Sasuke's part.
You're right that emotions have their own logic, but that doesn't mean a relationship is healthy. In this case, Sarada seems to be taking the brunt of the emotional fallout, and Sakura's friends seem to be enabling it.
Gina Szanboti wrote:
So I wonder if Ichiraku Ramen brings back any fond memories for Naruto. I guess we'll never know.

/s

I want to know how Hinata managed to win an eating competition! Maybe she was pregnant at the time?
Only half the episode rehashed the OVA, the other half was new (to me, anyway), which was good. Boruto is so used to being tsundere towards his dad he can't even admit he's happy to go out to eat with him. What a teenager!
Animechic420

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:10 am Reply with quote
Jesus. Boruto is a hard little bastard to please. He gets mad that Naruto isn't around as much anymore, and when he finally is, Boruto's like "What the hell are you doing here? Aren't you supposed to be at your precious job? ". Then when Naruto takes him to dinner, he's all like "Whatever". Naruto tries speaking to him about things and even that goes nowhere. On top of that, Boruto has this weird hang up about other people's problems. Namely Hinata's and Himawari's. He needs to stop worrying about what he thinks is troubling others and focus on himself.

Agent355 wrote:
What a teenager!

Boroto isn't a teenager. He's like 10 at the moment.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:40 am Reply with quote
Is anyone else amused that it feels like the second most focused character in this series is Cho-cho? The series seems to go back and forth on her thoughts and aspirations, but it's interesting that she gets so much screentime, especially since she's a) a girl in a series that I assume is targeted to boys and b) not a member of the "core" team. (Boruto, Sarada & Mitsuki) Also, as much as were about to get her "I CAN'T be from this family" in the next arc, I appreciate how she puts another spin on Chouji's personality of alternating childishness (mostly in relation to food/eating) and maturity (mostly in relation to helping others with relationships or dealing with problems), without being basically overshadowed by Shikadai.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Animechic420 wrote:

Agent355 wrote:
What a teenager!

Boroto isn't a teenager. He's like 10 at the moment.

He certainly acts like one, though.
For example:
Animechic420 wrote:
Jesus. Boruto is a hard little bastard to please. He gets mad that Naruto isn't around as much anymore, and when he finally is, Boruto's like "What the hell are you doing here? Aren't you supposed to be at your precious job? ". Then when Naruto takes him to dinner, he's all like "Whatever". Naruto tries speaking to him about things and even that goes nowhere.

That's typical of a teenager, isn't it? He's being tsundere about his desire for Naruto's attention, conflicted by his disappointment in Naruto's usual behavior and his teenaged embarrassment at being seen out and about with his dad. It's like he's saying: "One night eating out together isn't going to make up for all the nights you're not home, dad!"
Also, think about where Naruto took him. When Naruto first suggested that they go out for dinner, I thought he'd take Boruto to his favorite burger place. But he took Boruto to Ichiraku Ramen, *his* favorite restaurant, and made it all about him, even (embarrassingly) "paying" for their meal with his voucher. Now, that would all be fine if Naruto and Boruto weren't having a rocky relationship right now. Boruto already thinks that Naruto doesn't think enough about his family members' likes and dislikes (they had *just* had a fight about what to make for Himawari), and Naruto choosing his favorite restaurant over Boruto's, and then talking about how he took Hinata there on their first date, just confirmed Naruto's selfish cluelessness in Boruto's mind. If Naruto wanted to endear himself to Boruto, he'd take him to Boruto's burger place and let Boruto choose the topic of discussion.
Animechic420 wrote:

On top of that, Boruto has this weird hang up about other people's problems. Namely Hinata's and Himawari's. He needs to stop worrying about what he thinks is troubling others and focus on himself.

Isn't that normal, though? From Boruto's perspective, Naruto is letting down his mother and little sister. It's so much easier for him to project all his feelings of disappointment onto them rather than deal with his own feelings and admit he's hurt. That would make Boruto vulnerable, and teens would rather be angry than vulnerable.
Cho Cho is growing on me. I liked the eating contest. She's a good mix of her mother's personality--the little we saw of Cloud kunoichi showed them to be sassy and outspoken--and her father's physique.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
It's like he's saying: "One night eating out together isn't going to make up for all the nights you're not home, dad!"

If that's the case, than Naurto shouldn't even have bothered.
Agent355 wrote:
Also, think about where Naruto took him. When Naruto first suggested that they go out for dinner, I thought he'd take Boruto to his favorite burger place. But he took Boruto to Ichiraku Ramen, his favorite restaurant.

I can understand that to a degree, but still, Naruto shouldn't even have bothered. Boruto eats burgers everyday; he probably ate one or two that same day. Eating something a little different won't kill him.
Agent355 wrote:
If Naruto wanted to endear himself to Boruto, he'd take him to Boruto's burger place and let Boruto choose the topic of discussion.

Even if Naruto had gone to the burger place, Botruto still wouldn't have spoken to him. They'd just ate in silence, same as like in Ichiraku Ramen.
Agent355 wrote:
Isn't that normal, though? From Boruto's perspective, Naruto is letting down his mother and little sister. It's so much easier for him to project all his feelings of disappointment onto them rather than deal with his own feelings and admit he's hurt.

At his age, no. It isn't normal. But is Naruto really letting Hinata and Hinawari down or does Boruto just think he is??? That's why he's so emotionally constipated now. This is what happens when a child tries to act like an adult. Boruto doesn't understand anything, Yet.
Agent355 wrote:
Cho Cho is growing on me. I liked the eating contest. She's a good mix of her mother's personality--the little we saw of Cloud kunoichi showed them to be sassy and outspoken--and her father's physique.

I often wonder how Choji and Karui got together. But, yeah, Cho Cho's adorable. Anime smile

Last edited by Animechic420 on Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Animechic420 wrote:
Agent355 wrote:
It's like he's saying: "One night eating out together isn't going to make up for all the nights you're not home, dad!"

If that's the case, than Naurto shouldn't even have bothered.
Agent355 wrote:
Also, think about where Naruto took him. When Naruto first suggested that they go out for dinner, I thought he'd take Boruto to his favorite burger place. But he took Boruto to Ichiraku Ramen, his favorite restaurant.

I can understand that a degree, but still, Naruto shouldn't even have bothered. Boruto eats burgers everyday; he probably ate one or two that same day. Eating something a little different won't kill him.

That's a really rational mature argument. Emotionally, Boruto needs his father to show that he cares about what Boruto likes. It's not about the burgers anymore than choosing ramen was really about nutrition (if it was about nutrition, there are healthier options). Naruto put down Boruto's burger preference and chose ramen because he liked it and wanted to be nostalgic. At the restaurant, Naruto asked about the movie advertisement Boruto was looking at, but he did it very dismissively ("oh, do you like that sort of thing?"). He verbally and nonverbally made it clear that he didn't really care about what Boruto wanted or liked. Which, again, isn't the worst thing in the world, it just won't do much to improve their relationship right now. I'd argue that it's still a good thing Naruto bothered to take Boruto out, because when Boruto gets older and more mature, he'll appreciate all the times his father spent time with him. If Boruto
's anime or manga ever does reach an arc where Naruto is out of the picture, you can bet this memory will be a flashback the anime will use over and over again to show how Boruto misses his dad and wishes he would have appreciated him more when he was a kid.

Animechic420 wrote:

Agent355 wrote:
Isn't that normal, though? From Boruto's perspective, Naruto is letting down his mother and little sister. It's so much easier for him to project all his feelings of disappointment onto them rather than deal with his own feelings and admit he's hurt.

At his age, no. It isn't normal. But is Naruto really letting Hinata and Hinawari down or does Boruto just think he is??? That's why he's so emotionally constipated now. This is what happens when a child tries to act like an adult. Boruto doesn't understand anything, Yet.

I agree, Boruto is totally projecting his own feelings onto Hinata and Himawari. Hinata doesn't resent Naruto's job--she's always supported him in his dream to be Hokage, and was willing to make sacrifices in family time for it. Himawari's too young to notice. It's hitting Boruto the hardest, but it's easier for him to be angry on other people's behalf than to deal with his own sadness and disappointment, and you're right, he's way too young to be self aware. It's just too bad that none of the adults around him can talk to him plainly and help him deal with it (I have high hopes that his aunt Hanabi might be able to break through to him, if they spend more time together).
Animechic420

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

I agree, Boruto is totally projecting his own feelings onto Hinata and Himawari. Hinata doesn't resent Naruto's job--she's always supported him in his dream to be Hokage, and was willing to make sacrifices in family time for it. Himawari's too young to notice. It's hitting Boruto the hardest, but it's easier for him to be angry on other people's behalf than to deal with his own sadness and disappointment, and you're right, he's way too young to be self aware. It's just too bad that none of the adults around him can talk to him plainly and help him deal with it (I have high hopes that his aunt Hanabi might be able to break through to him, if they spend more time together).

I really enjoy our Naruto/Boruto talks. It's refreshing to have an actually discussion about the dynamics regrading these two. Hope we can have more of these. Anime catgrin
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, these are great discussions! I really think the writers put more depth and subtlety in the psychological dynamics between parents and children in Boruto than they did in the effects of isolation and trauma in Naruto. I suspect that the parent/child stuff in Boruto is just easier for the writers to relate to on both sides of the equation, because they are based on such common issues (especially common with Japanese kids who grew up with workaholic salaryman fathers who are now workaholic anime writers! Razz Laughing)

Boruto's resentment of his father's job, Naruto's frustration at his inability to connect with his son, Sarada's feelings of abandonment by her father and frustration with her mother's inability not only to do anything about it, but even to talk about it and acknowledge the toll Sasuke's absence--these are all based on such common family issues. As opposed to Naruto growing up without any family or friends, and Sasuke witnessing his brother murder his whole clan in front of him--those are not common occurrences for anyone in most 1st world countries (thank goodness), and the way the emotions around those issues were written always came off as off or fake. Naruto, for example, always came off to me as a kid who had dealt with some bullying rather than a kid who was shunned by his entire village and had no loving adults in his life.
KH91

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:55 am Reply with quote
Quote:
In its last filler excursion before...

Excuse me, but Boruto has no fillers. It has an "original story" as advertised.
AmpedForAnime

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:21 pm Reply with quote
That picture with Sasuke in the Akatsuki garb. This was taken when he was considered a criminal. Feels like all that photo is missing is a striped background and a letterboard.

Last edited by AmpedForAnime on Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 31