• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
KADO - The Right Answer (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Altering humanity's physical nature without its permission is majorly uncool, regardless of what benefit it may bring. If you're going to do that, then you might as well abandon all pretense of "negotiating" and simply announce, "look, my technological advancement makes me a virtual God compared to you, so you are simply going to be my helpless little bitches who I will toy with and give things to regardless of whether you want them or not. Have a nice day."
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Based on what I've heard about this series, I'll just leave this:

Twilight Zone -- To Serve Man.

Watch it.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 6:14 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I'm familiar with that classic Twilight Zone episode and if you are repeating information that you have heard from original source material than that qualifies as a pretty big spoiler and should be in tags. If you are simply speculating from your own instinct, then fine.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 7:04 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Yeah, I'm familiar with that classic Twilight Zone episode and if you are repeating information that you have heard from original source material than that qualifies as a pretty big spoiler and should be in tags. If you are simply speculating from your own instinct, then fine.

This is an original anime series, so he's free to say what he wants without needing spoiler tags.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 7:23 am Reply with quote
I'm glad to hear that. I wonder why he wrote, "Based on what I've heard about this series..." That made it sound like he had read stuff that was taken from source material. Obviously, that's not the case, though.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 8:01 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I'm glad to hear that. I wonder why he wrote, "Based on what I've heard about this series..." That made it sound like he had read stuff that was taken from source material. Obviously, that's not the case, though.

Some people have too much time on their hands. This particular user watched the first few episodes with a certain set of expectations and mindset for the show; it didn't fulfil his expectations so he said his piece but continued to comment on this thread despite no longer having any interest in the show.

The bit you've quoted is what he's read on the internet regarding reviews of this show.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

I meant heard from it here on ANN. I have no knowledge of the series at all outside of this site. Sorry to have been unclear on that.

Additionally, "this particular user", Harleyquin, hasn't seen *any* of the show. I based my comments solely on what has been said about the show here. I don't mind reading the weekly reviews (and associated comments) and being spoiled because I have no intention of watching it.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Blood- wrote:

I meant heard from it here on ANN. I have no knowledge of the series at all outside of this site. Sorry to have been unclear on that.

Additionally, "this particular user", Harleyquin, hasn't seen *any* of the show. I based my comments solely on what has been said about the show here. I don't mind reading the weekly reviews (and associated comments) and being spoiled because I have no intention of watching it.

So too much time on one's hands then. Not sure why said user won't make more comments on the other thread talking about this series if it's not being watched in the first place.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 11:53 pm Reply with quote
#6.5

Recap episode, nothing new besides a few music tracks at very points in this episode.

Next week's trailer on the other hand is interesting. It seems zaShunina gave something else together with the WAM which Shindo and the others are now finding out about.

Tsukai might be engaged but she seems to have time to invite Shindo out to one of the local summer festivals. Her perspective is built up increasingly to be Shindo's antithesis; someone who is sceptical of the benefits provided for free by zaShunina yet unsure of what to do in response to this.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 12:32 pm Reply with quote

Now that viewers understand how Shindo Kojirou is able to get by despite not sleeping for 8 days, it makes sense how huge zaShunina's next gift is when even Shindo's colleague makes the bland comment about an efficiency gain of 50%. The idea behind it is not original, I seem to recall series from the 90s like Sliders dealing with the different entities of self who exist in parallel worlds, only difference with this series being the medium involved.

Adam Ward basically runs the equivalent of Google in this series, but I'm curious what his real goal is since he specifically asked the reporter who was first on the scene to interview zaShunina knowing he had worked on zaShunina as a story from the start. Is he out for profit or for knowledge?

The final scene is of course significant, but viewers will not know until next week or beyond on the motives behind the proposal.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Adam Ward basically runs the equivalent of Google in this series, but I'm curious what his real goal is since he specifically asked the reporter who was first on the scene to interview zaShunina knowing he had worked on zaShunina as a story from the start. Is he out for profit or for knowledge?

Depends on what Adam Ward is supposed to represent, while his company is effectively Kado verse version of Google, Ward himself could be more of a counterpart to say Richard Branson and simply has an urge to "be first".
There is no question that Ward is some sort of westerner, but it isn't made specific what his Nationality though it likely is less important as it is that "only a non Japanese conglomerate owner would be so bold to lead an expedition in the middle of Japan", either way the action serves zaShunina.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 11:59 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:

Depends on what Adam Ward is supposed to represent, while his company is effectively Kado verse version of Google, Ward himself could be more of a counterpart to say Richard Branson and simply has an urge to "be first".
There is no question that Ward is some sort of westerner, but it isn't made specific what his Nationality though it likely is less important as it is that "only a non Japanese conglomerate owner would be so bold to lead an expedition in the middle of Japan", either way the action serves zaShunina.

As far as zaShunina is concerned the organisation Ward represents is equivalent to Google and Youtube in its ability to reach the human masses. Since all one needs to do to gain the benefits of the Sansa is to simply look at it, doing some kind of mass live webcast without any political restrictions (similar to the Japanese news conference from several weeks back) will achieve zaShunina's goals all the same.

Considering humans after exposure to the Sansa can still choose to sleep if they wish to (got to be fair to the other facets of self in this multiverse) it's really all about how much humanity in this series is willing to unconditionally accept the gifts. At the start of the episode it is becoming evident that despite the proliferation of WAM many people are already questioning potential reliance on something not developed organically by humans and with the potential to destroy everything if everyone switched over and the anisotropic source suddenly went dry.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 3:46 am Reply with quote
It does seem better the whole not sleeping thing now that we are aware of how it works. Rather than altering the body by an outside force it seems more of becoming aware of the human existing in several dimensions at once which can be wasted potential that humans could use to spread the work and rest out between them to be more productive. But it does leave questions open like sleep is supposed to be the time that muscles and the like repair themselves, how is that being handled? How about growing children? What of overwork culture? It differs between countries but a number are especially kind of cruel in how stressed they can be, and what would not needing to sleep make it? Would things like coffee not even be needed anymore?

And how long to process the reporters back out?
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 8:40 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:

And how long to process the reporters back out?

3 of them plus helicopter under the old system would have taken 40 minutes. Difference this time round is they were invited in rather than absorbed by the cube and the episode isn't done in real time (so the reporters could have their whole nauseous episode and all with time for other questions not shown on screen) so when the pair of them exit Kado it's already early evening rather than late afternoon which was the start of the episode.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:15 am Reply with quote

2.5 billion people now have the ability to forego sleep yet continue to function without health issues. If the Sansa effect can be duplicated just by watching a recording of the broadcast, that figure will rise further as more doubters overcome their suspicions.

I like Tsukai's big defence of evolution and natural selection in this episode. Outside of certain countries, it's a very logical defence against allowing za-Shunina carte blanche to guide humanity as he perceives it to be closer to the "right path".

Next week is where we see za-Shunina less as a benign provider of human development and more as an AI which operates with a very complex set of rules with an ultimate goal in mind. Shindo has made up his mind after spending the day with Tsukai and speaking to the political leader of his country, but he'll need every gram of his being and negotiating skills to obtain the best outcome for humanity and za-Shunina in the same way he achieved the outcome from his last job prior to boarding the plane in episode #0.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6