• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Are There So Many Chinese Anime Co-Productions These Days?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Karl2 wrote:
I would not have problem with these if it wasn't because of the fact that not many of them have been very good, which is problem for people that want good entertainment, but great for China, because they love their Spectacle and not much else, which is why the are going to be 12 more Transformers movies.

Chinese audiences have been flocking to Bad Moronic CGI American Blockbusters because the sentiment is that the crowds at home have been starting to tire of what the State cinema produces:
Since political statement, sex, Western life, religion and ghosts are all taboo topics, the state-run studios have to produce harmless history-blockbusters, romantic comedies, and action/fantasies. They don't see the public "edification" in wasting their own industry money on Robots From Outer Space, Vin Diesel Crashing Cars, or Elves Fighting Orcs In Politically Non-Existent Fantasylands, but if the West knows how to provide one, it's a harmless enough opiate of the masses to allow in theaters.
And certainly one often manages to get a bigger crowd of moviegoers than the other.

We've seen the list of anime banned in China--which doesn't allow gore, sex, or Supernatural Forces Real in Our Modern Cities, the three things that the rest of the Asian audiences like--and there's a good point that our entertainment interest in "China will save us!" is a bubble, both for anime and Hollywood.
And bubbles usually pop when we find out we never did understand what we were investing in.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Jonny Mendes wrote:
... so the push for their own animation industry is not as big as in China, where the government is involved in everything.

I quote this message so that I can return to it next year, five years and a decade from now as proof that china's thigh grip control (aka involvement) on their local media is the reason why it will never be anything but an industry for local consumption.

But hey, the sooner china gets a local animation industry up and running, the sooner they will stop hogging japanese anime studios so they can return to do something worth our while.
Shar Aznabull

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:39 pm Reply with quote
I remember liking Chinese Ghost Story back in the day but I haven't seen any of the newer stuff, though apparently I'm not really missing out on much. CGS is totally worth watching just to hear Scott McNeil sing btw.
Topgunguy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Karl2 wrote:
I would not have problem with these if it wasn't because of the fact that not many of them have been very good, which is problem for people that want good entertainment, but great for China, because they love their Spectacle and not much else, which is why the are going to be 12 more Transformers movies.

I hope somewhere in those 12 that the damn Bay series ends and it gets rebooted into a proper film the franchise so very much needs.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:04 pm Reply with quote
I really liked Reikenzan though. It had a good story and pretty decent animation (probably because Studio Deen apparently did all or most of it). It's certainly the best thing I've seen Tencent involved with. Spiritpact was awful, but in a very entertaining, The Room, kind of way. Especially toward the end where they sort of ran out of plot, so they kept piling on new perils every scene to try to stretch things out. Very Happy I couldn't make it to the end of Bloodivores, try as I might, and I bailed before the end of the first episode of Outcasts.

I guess my point is they may be slowly but surely learning how to do this better? I mean Japan still puts out eyesores like Trickster (Shin-Ei Animation and TMS), which might as well have been a Tencent production given how terrible the whole thing turned out to be in both story and visuals. Toward the end it was clear everyone just wanted to be done with it and go home, and it looked like they handed it off to a middle school to wrap it up. So even if China limits the types of stories they can produce, they obviously can do some things as good as some subpar Japanese productions, and as long as they don't quit, they'll keep improving.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Topgunguy wrote:
I hope somewhere in those 12 that the damn Bay series ends and it gets rebooted into a proper film the franchise so very much needs.

I think you mean the genwunners desperately want.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I guess my point is they may be slowly but surely learning how to do this better?

Not quite. For some decades India has been making some awful (by western standards at least) flicks and europe has been making for far longer award wining feature films; by your logic they should already be in a direct fight with hollywood for your saturday night movie ticket. Add on top of it that plot is heavily regulated by the chinese government and you get the same formula the USSR had for their movie industry, never heard of it? Exactly! Anime hyper

Japan (just like Hollywood) will keep making some stuff that no one will look or remember later that evening, that is normal with any mas media productions, give me a "golden era" and with the help of google I can unearth many turds that time has forgotten.
KH91

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:58 pm Reply with quote
So I must be the only who thought Bloodivores was good shit....in its own way. Also, out of all the Chinese produced series, Reikanzan is the best.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:08 pm Reply with quote
^ ^ I thought we were talking about animation. Even the best Japanese anime isn't in a direct fight with Hollywood live action for the mainstream's Saturday night movie ticket and likely never will be (unless Hollywood collapses completely). I don't foresee them ever having the budget to out-do Disney/Pixar animation either.

I was only talking about their skills in producing watchable animation with engaging stories on a par with Japan, that weren't shored up by Japanese studios. They're not doing so good at that now, but they're getting better incrementally. Even if the government limits what subjects they can tackle, they can still do well with those subjects. Someday.
FukuchiChiisaia

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:36 pm Reply with quote
FackuIkari wrote:
Is there a reason why Quan Zhi Gao Shou (The King's Avatar) doesn't have a japanese dub just like Bloodivores, Soul Buster and Hitori no Shita? Or they are completely different things?

Actually The King's Avatar is not anime, it's donghua (I prefer called Chinese animation as Donghua).
There's no single staff that are Japanese. It's originally made from China.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Even the best Japanese anime isn't in a direct fight with Hollywood live action for the mainstream's Saturday night movie ticket

Well, let's forget for a moment about Your Name (the movie) since that is atm uncharted territory.and focus in the simple fact that anime made for TV has been quite successfully competing witn their american counterparts in their fight for viewers. Also, if you compare disc sales in the USA of anime TV series and TV cartoons, I bet they are not too far from one another.
Paiprince

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Fully Japanese produced anime are better at conveying Chinese stories than what the Chinese have been putting out. I'll take Fushigi Yuugi or Saiyuki even Kingdom over whatever passes out as a "co-production."
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:10 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
Well, let's forget for a moment about Your Name (the movie) since that is atm uncharted territory.and focus in the simple fact that anime made for TV has been quite successfully competing witn their american counterparts in their fight for viewers. Also, if you compare disc sales in the USA of anime TV series and TV cartoons, I bet they are not too far from one another.

Whatever. I don't feel like running after your ever-shifting goalposts, since this still doesn't refute my point, which remains:
Quote:
I guess my point is they may be slowly but surely learning how to do this better?

If you're saying they are not, cannot and will never improve, then I disagree. That's pretty much all I have to say about the topic. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Asterisk-CGY

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:10 am Reply with quote
Watching Your Name had a trailer of a Space Monkey series that my friend pointed out was by a SK studio. So if they were able to push that here any other industry will get there eventually.
CANimeFan88

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:56 am Reply with quote
I hope to see more Chinese animation in the future in the same style as anime (or as I like to call it "chinime".

I've seen at least one by the Chinese that I enjoyed called "Cupid's Chocolates".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4