• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Real and super robots as character classes

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Video Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EternalNothingness

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:05 am Reply with quote
You know how, in Super Robot Wars, super robots can dish out and absorb tons of punishment, while real robots have to rely on their mobility and guns to make up for their inability to defy real-world physics like super robots?

Just imagine what a mech-based MMORPG, MOBA, or team-objective shooter would be like, if super robots and real robots were distinct character classes that players could pick between. The reason is because every time I look at super and real robots, they make me think of warriors, rogues, and mages, respectively. Supers can dish out and absorb punishment like warriors, while reals have to use either their mobility or their ranged firepower to make-up for how delicate they are, like rogues and mages, respectively.

So why haven't there been any mech games -- aside from just Super Robot Wars -- that took advantage of the super/real dichotomy to make unique character classes out of them? I mean, I know that there are light, medium, and heavy mechs, as well as melee, mid-range, and long-range mechs. It's just that the super/real dichotomy would have simplified it, a bit.
Kasey009

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:14 pm Reply with quote
EternalNothingness wrote:
You know how, in Super Robot Wars, super robots can dish out and absorb tons of punishment, while real robots have to rely on their mobility and guns to make up for their inability to defy real-world physics like super robots?

Just imagine what a mech-based MMORPG, MOBA, or team-objective shooter would be like, if super robots and real robots were distinct character classes that players could pick between. The reason is because every time I look at super and real robots, they make me think of warriors, rogues, and mages, respectively. Supers can dish out and absorb punishment like warriors, while reals have to use either their mobility or their ranged firepower to make-up for how delicate they are, like rogues and mages, respectively.

So why haven't there been any mech games -- aside from just Super Robot Wars -- that took advantage of the super/real ipage dichotomy to make unique character classes out of them? I mean, I know that there are light, medium, and heavy mechs, as well as melee, mid-range, and long-range mechs. It's just that the super/real dichotomy would have simplified it, a bit.

Due to the turn based strategy nature of the game, it meant you could have both real and super robots square off, as the only action was to do with moving the pieces in range of one another. The actual attacks were then detached from the game.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Video Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1