• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Thirty Years Ago: The Best Anime of 1987

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ajc228

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Good list but where's the love for the Devilman OAV, Daryl? Ghibli animators worked on it so I thought it was a interesting piece of 80's anime. Certainly one of the most well animated adaptations of Go Nagai's work.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Is this list a little "generic"? Sure, I guess, but it is titled the "Best of", so Daryl kind of had no choice but to bring up the most celebrated classics, instead of simply just listing off any old anime from the year. Personally, I'd do a "Notable" list, as that would allow for more variety, but then there'd be less of a point of asking for others to chime in, as Daryl did at the end.

Anyway, glad to see Mister Ajikko & Crystal Triangle brought up at the end. I've only seen the first three episodes of Ajikko, but I really enjoyed what I saw, & it does showcase some cool early signs of Imagawa's general stylistic choices. I doubt we'll ever get an official release of any sort, even via streaming, but it should at least be given due credit, as Daryl did. Crystal Triangle, though, is all sorts of absurd insanity, & I wouldn't have it any other way. It did receive a DVD release in Japan in the early 00s, no idea if it was digitally remastered though, and it was released by the company now known as Aniplex. Too bad Aniplex of America cares next to nothing about its parent company's back catalog anymore... Though I highly doubt AoA would even touch Crystal Triangle, sadly.

As for stuff not mentioned in Daryl's piece, here are some I would at least consider notable from 1987:
Haja Taisei Dangaioh (Not the best story, admittedly, but a great & memorable piece of animation, nonetheless. Too bad Great Dangaioh sucked hard, & we'll never get a proper end to the overall story.)
Metal Armor Dragonar (I know Daryl has his qualms with this show, I recall him calling me out slightly for including this when Zac read off my submitted list for the Beat of the 80s ANNCast, but I love this mech anime. I think, due to how it came after, it was able to handle the mix of seriousness & comedy better than Gundam ZZ did, making for a much more consistent & enjoyable story.)
Salamander (Still one of my go-to examples of how an anime based on a video game can work. The story can be a little slow paced, but it's a cool adaptation of the first three games in the Gradius series.)
Xanadu -Dragon Slayer Densetsu- (A hyper-obscure pick here, but it's the first anime based on a Nihon Falcom game. It's also about as crazy as Crystal Triangle at times, especially in how wildly it varies in tone, & the list of animators that worked on it now reads a bit like that of a who's-who of notable directors, like Keiji Gotoh, Keiichi Satou, Junichi Hayama, Michi Fukuda, & Tomokazu Tokoro [among others].)
kgw

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Anime World Order wrote:

While I don't have anything negative to say about Hiatari Ryoko, I don't think it's controversial to say that it's one of Adachi's lesser-known works. It's basically just "the one that came out after Touch."

Well, actually, the manga was done before Touch, and the anime, yeah, it was after Touch.
I liked that romance story (HAR! was released in a shôjo magazine), even if they "invented" the last part of the story -with more baseball and messing the love triangle-.

Last edited by kgw on Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Anime World Order wrote:
There's just too much of a gap between Yamaga's version of events regarding these sorts of production details and Okada's that I don't know if that's even true.

In one of the commentary tracks for Animeigo's Otaku no Video Blu-ray release, Yamaga flat-out states he wrote the OVA under Okada's name, and talks a bit about how the assignment came about. As for Gunbuster, Hideaki Anno's bio at Khara's website mentions how he was moved to tears by Yamaga's script.

Yamaga's Japanese Wikipedia page also credits him for writing the Blazing Transfer Student, Gunbuster and Otaku no Video OVAs as "Toshio Okada".
treatment

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:36 pm Reply with quote
kgw wrote:
Anime World Order wrote:

While I don't have anything negative to say about Hiatari Ryoko, I don't think it's controversial to say that it's one of Adachi's lesser-known works. It's basically just "the one that came out after Touch."

Well, actually, the manga was done before Touch, and the anime, yeah, it was before Touch.
I liked that romance story (HAR! was released in a shôjo magazine), even if they "invented" the last part of the story -with more baseball and messing the love triangle-.

Yup.

Well, HR's anime was made after Touch anime. Maybe HR anime was shown in EU before Touch anime? Razz

And fwiw and iirc, HR was the first Adachi-series to be adapted into a live-action tv-series and rather quickly, too. So much for somehow being categorized as "one of Adachi's lesser-known works", eh?

I love Touch, but even it doesn't have a live-action tv-series to this day as of yet...

Cool

Last edited by treatment on Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
one.night.bkk

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:41 pm Reply with quote
...fun fact: while all this awesome stuff was happening, I was coincidentally living in Japan. I didn't connect the dots on that until years after a lot of these became some of my favorites, but it's kinda funny. I was pretty young, so I don't remember much of my time there, but it's fun to think about.
Yumeko-chan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:46 pm Reply with quote
I object to the only lasting thing about BGC being Mackie's lust for Sylia. Nothing about the music at all? It's very much a product of its time but even now I get people telling me that (in their opinion) the best thing about the series was the music. I love the music too, of course, but what stands out to me the most is the animation. The later episodes have gorgeous animation that I think still holds up pretty well. Plus, what other series is out there where you can literally see the animation improve visibly with each episode?
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
Bunch of young whipper-snappers here.Wink
I was already 40 when these shows came out.

It's an odd sort of comfort to know there's someone older than me around here! Laughing
Let's see...1987...starting final year of college.
Spawn29

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:26 pm Reply with quote
1987 give us a lot of awesome stuff. You have anime from 1987 still holds up today. WIcked City is one of my favorite animated movies of all time and I love the story along with the action, animation and atmosphere. Devilman: The Birth, City Hunter, Bubblegum Crisis and Neo Tokyo are still great today in my opinion.

Today's the Cartoon Network generation and this current generation don't have any appreciation for these type of anime. They will probably find stuff like Robot Carnival and Wicked City as offensive and tasteless garbage, then go on to immediately praise the original Pokemon anime as some high art masterpiece.
kgw

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:31 pm Reply with quote
treatment wrote:

Yup.

Well, HR's anime was made after Touch anime. Maybe HR anime was shown in EU before Touch anime? Razz

Sorry, I mean after Touch. Embarassed

Strangely enough, all Touch & HAR (or HR) were released in Spain in DVD. Unfortunatelly, they didn't sell as expected.

As for the Live-actions, didn't Touch have a movie in 2005? Maybe they are waiting for Mix's success Smile.

I'd like to see more Adachi anime, though. Maybe Itsumo Misora or Q&A?
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Ouran High School Dropout wrote:
Quote:
It's an odd sort of comfort to know there's someone older than me around here! Laughing
Let's see...1987...starting final year of college.

You are young, I graduated college in 1967.
Triltaison

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:54 pm Reply with quote
I freaking love Crystal Triangle and desperately want it on any format other than Laserdisc. *sigh* One day, perhaps.

The only anime that comes to mind as being somewhat similar in its bizarre tone and ridiculous juxtaposition of things that shouldn't be in the same work is Black Lion and its Terminator robots versus samurai ninjas plus aliens.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:23 pm Reply with quote
I think we can say that Alan45 and Touma are the oldest ones on these forums. One would think TheAncientOne would be older with a name like that but his CR profile only pegs him at 56.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:33 pm Reply with quote
@Kadmos1

You may be correct but I've always assumed that there is someone older who just won't admit it. Cool Yuna49 is right up there with us.
varmintx

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Isn't abunai up there in years as well? Or, does it just seem like he's a wise, old man? Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4