• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Thirty Years Ago: The Best Anime of 1987

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hunter Sopko

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
as was the style back then (no onions tied to the belt though)

Can I get five bees for a quarter?
ryonomiko
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:45 pm Reply with quote
City Hunter is fine as it is: stories, characters and the music.

It's never all been released in North America be it the anime or the manga which is a shame. I do NOT want to see it updated as it would not longer BE City Hunter.

Ryo played up the "pervert" mokkori-lusting aspect on purpose. And the series should not be thought of as a comedy first, assassin role is no joke (quite the death toll).
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:57 am Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
Salamander (Still one of my go-to examples of how an anime based on a video game can work. The story can be a little slow paced, but it's a cool adaptation of the first three games in the Gradius series.)

Xanadu -Dragon Slayer Densetsu- (A hyper-obscure pick here, but it's the first anime based on a Nihon Falcom game. It's also about as crazy as Crystal Triangle at times, especially in how wildly it varies in tone, & the list of animators that worked on it now reads a bit like that of a who's-who of notable directors, like Keiji Gotoh, Keiichi Satou, Junichi Hayama, Michi Fukuda, & Tomokazu Tokoro [among others].)

Good on you for mentioning these two. I am quite familiar with both games, and 1987 was a year of very good games in addition to anime.
Kon'Doriano

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Ahh, back when anime was creative and amazing, whether if it's cheesy or we'll written they still hold up well unlike most modern anime titles. Animators are literally risking their lives to make shows about little girls, that's just sad.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:37 pm Reply with quote
While not quite as old as Alan45, Yuna49, and Touma, I am up there in age at soon-to-be 47! And yes, I am feeling seeing that some of you were born in '87!

When all of these titles came out in 1987, I was about two years into the hobby of watching and collecting anime, longer if count watching shows that were on US television before I knew what anime was. Ah, the memories!
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:22 pm Reply with quote
@Beltane70

Ah, another person with their year of birth as part of their screen name. Unlike you I didn't get into anime until 1997. I also never saw any of those early anime posing as US kids cartoons. Back when I first started the online communities I was able to find gave me the impression that I was "late to the table". Many had been anime enthusiasts for a number of years. That is a hard impression to shake, even though it is now going on 20 years.
metalotaku

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Great article!

Here some other titles from 1987, I really enjoy.

Anime Sanjushi
Twilight Q
Warau Hyouteki
Space Fantasia 2OOl Ya Monogatari
To-Y
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Yamaga also wrote Gunbuster, the best OVA of the 80's and I will throw down with anyone disagreeing!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4