• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Does It Take So Long For Anime Movies To Come Out On Video?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OniTasku

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:12 pm Reply with quote
FWIW, most Shinkai movies released in Japan have included English subs, so if people are willing to import in order to get it earlier, that's an option.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:47 pm Reply with quote
How about giving their domestic market home video releases earlier and not 8-11 months later, 90 days should be the standard for anime movies releasing on home video in the Japanese domestic market.
CatSword

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Unless we finally get someone to jump on the theatrical bandwagon, I don't think we'll be seeing A Silent Voice over here until 2018...I'll just import it from Anime Limited if that's going to be the case.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:09 pm Reply with quote
OniTasku wrote:
FWIW, most Shinkai movies released in Japan have included English subs, so if people are willing to import in order to get it earlier, that's an option.

That's the plan on my end. I liked the movie more than enough to justify the higher price of admission (hell, I drove over an hour to see it in theaters last Friday, so that gives you an idea of how far I'll go). Crossing my fingers that it has English subtitles.

Also yeah, that casting of Stefanie Sheh was cringey as hell to me. Really glad the showing I went to was the Japanese version. I'm not saying that older voice actors can't ever voice teenagers (the Ghibli dubs often do a great job of this), but if you're going to do that, at least attempt to sound somewhat convincing and not completely forced in your delivery. Admittedly, she did sound markedly better in the most recent trailers compared to that awful first one that was released. But what it ultimately comes down to is that it's a very Japanese film, so watching it in English probably never made much sense to me anyway. Entire scenes in dubbed form would have come off as awkward as hell I'd imagine.
Paulo27

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:55 pm Reply with quote
What this article really made realize was that Kimi no Na wa came out 8 months ago.
I was thinking "it'll totally be screening for a year, still has lots of time" but there's only 4 more months until it hits a year.
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
How about giving their domestic market home video releases earlier and not 8-11 months later, 90 days should be the standard for anime movies releasing on home video in the Japanese domestic market.

How about you read the article and see why they don't!
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:58 pm Reply with quote
SolidAndrew34 wrote:
If you don't like Stephanie Sheh in the cast that is fine. However you don't have to be rude and make fun of her that is just wrong especially when there are people who do like her work. You should learn to be more considerate about other people's thoughts.
And why would her fans get upset? I am not attacking them. I am making fun of the casting choice.
CandisWhite

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Jayhosh wrote:
Also yeah, that casting of Stefanie Sheh was cringey as hell to me. Really glad the showing I went to was the Japanese version. I'm not saying that older voice actors can't ever voice teenagers (the Ghibli dubs often do a great job of this), but if you're going to do that, at least attempt to sound somewhat convincing and not completely forced in your delivery. Admittedly, she did sound markedly better in the most recent trailers compared to that awful first one that was released. But what it ultimately comes down to is that it's a very Japanese film, so watching it in English probably never made much sense to me anyway. Entire scenes in dubbed form would have come off as awkward as hell I'd imagine.

I had the opposite experience: I've heard Stephanie in other projects that didn't ask for the stereotypical anime schoolgirl squeak and she's done fine as teens; There was some of the Usagi shrill as Mitsuha but, for the most part, she was good. This was a very professional, well-done, dub.

When we went to see 'your name', I didn't say anything about Mitsuha's English voice actress; After the show, I asked "What did you think of her job?". "Yeah, she was good." "The voice actress who did her is the one who does Sailor Moon; See, she has a lovely voice when she's not doing that high-pitched thing".

The first things I always get about English Usagi are "Why does she sound like that? Is she younger than the other girls? Ohhh, that's annoying."

When we think beautiful teenage girls, we think warm, rich, voices and the closer Stephanie gets to her natural speaking voice the better she sounds; I feel that Stephanie mixed her voice up very well to get attractive young lady and frustrated teen across in 'your name'.

For Sailor Moon, how she sounded when Usagi said "Not again" in the R movie, I want more of that.
SolidAndrew34

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:24 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
SolidAndrew34 wrote:
If you don't like Stephanie Sheh in the cast that is fine. However you don't have to be rude and make fun of her that is just wrong especially when there are people who do like her work. You should learn to be more considerate about other people's thoughts.
And why would her fans get upset? I am not attacking them. I am making fun of the casting choice.

Reason number one some people like Stephanie Sheh and the job she did. The fact that you don't understand that some people like her acting, Funimation's casting choice and have a different opinion shows how insensitive you are. How would you like it if I would just make fun of something you really like or a casting choice you really and mock it on a forum? Second if you don't like her in the role fine. However you watching just to mock the casting choice is just being immature. If you don't like the choice fine, but does not mean you need to come onto a forum and be rude about it. Especially when that is not even the main subject of this topic anyway. I mean you no offense, but please try to be considerate of others thoughts. If you don't have anything positive to say its better to not say anything at all.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
In the US, the standard "window" of time where a movie is only available in theaters and not yet on video and other pay platforms ... is only 90 days, and there's significant industry pressure currently to shorten that window to as little as a few weeks. (The movie studios are currently battling theater owners about that very issue.)

How times have changed. Back in the days of VHS, the studios used to be battling to keep movies from being available for home video at all. Smile

Quote:
Producers want to make sure [domestic fans] aren't insulted by getting a film months after fans around the world did: it would feel like a hometown sports team selling exclusive merchandise in another city.

To know how that feels, just look back to how Nickelodeon mishandled the finale episodes of Avatar. It was really odd seeing people pirate a domestic title from international broadcasts because the US was inexplicably the last to air it by several months (iirc). The outrage was real, as the US fanbase (i.e., those who hadn't pirated it) didn't want to be spoiled by the discussion the rest of the world was already having. Smile
Saku-dono

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Too much vague answers here. You ask why the heck is the BD/DVD still not released? Well then, mail Funimation and tell them your money is ready and while you're at it, call them slowpokes.

Jokes aside, six months is the staple wait for BD/DVD movies to come out. Yeah, there might be irregular instances of being released earlier, but that's just how it is. I remember Shinkai's Garden of Words had release BD/DVD whilst simultaneously being on theaters. It's too optimistic to hope for that to happen again.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Or, sometimes, they don't actually have the license, like they claimed they did. Like with that '09 anime Yamato film. Razz But, anyway, speaking of this story, still waiting for a home vid date for Shin Godzilla from FUNi.
WingKing

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:59 pm Reply with quote
CandisWhite wrote:
I had the opposite experience: I've heard Stephanie in other projects that didn't ask for the stereotypical anime schoolgirl squeak and she's done fine as teens; There was some of the Usagi shrill as Mitsuha but, for the most part, she was good. This was a very professional, well-done, dub.

I've never been a big Stephanie Sheh fan, but that's mostly because all I ever hear her in are those squeaky moe roles like K-On and Haruhi. My favorite role of hers was Momo's mother in A Letter to Momo, and she sounded so different in that one, I didn't even know it was her until the credits rolled. Anyway, I'm planning to see Your Name again on Friday, dubbed this time, so I'll reserve judgment on her performance until then. Thing for me is that while I'm not hardcore either way about sub/dub, I have a lot of friends and family who'll only watch dubs, and this is such a fantastic movie that I want to share it with all of them, so I need a decent dub. Otherwise I might've considered buying the Japanese version, because it is going to be hard waiting that long for the US release to come out.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:09 pm Reply with quote
SolidAndrew34 wrote:
How would you like it if I would just make fun of something you really like or a casting choice you really and mock it on a forum?

I would dismiss it because it is silly to get upset by what a stranger is saying on a online forum.

People some times talk shit about my favorite anime company, Sentai Filmworks, but I do not take it as a personal attack.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:25 pm Reply with quote
ok, but how is 40 ancient? or do you just have a crap sense of humor?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3