• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Astarotte's Toy episodes 7-12

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kyubey

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:45 am Reply with quote
The last episode ruined my enjoyment of it as spoiler[ I thought they were going to make Naoya end up realising that he was feeling a fatherly type love and not actually fall for Lotte due to the age gap, being his daughter's half sister and the queen still liking him, which was shattered by the the kiss scene at the end ]

It wasn't an amazing show beforehand, but I would have given it a B or something, at the moment it's a about a D+ spoiler[ it may seem a harsh drop for one episode, one scene really, but it affects the connotations of all the previous episodes ] and unless they somehow reverse what I previously said in the second series it will remain so to me.
reanimator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:11 am Reply with quote
I stopped watching it around episode 10, when it was about the character doing idol singer thing, I thought "That's it, I'm not watching this anymore."

I have gave enough patience for the show, but the show didn't improve at all.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:41 am Reply with quote
Yeah, in the end even though I was irked by the dialing up of the lolicon pandering in the second half, my bigger complaint was simply that the show was too often just dull. Very limp story-telling most of the time. I mean, titillate the pedos all you want but don't you DARE bore me!
maaya

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:00 am Reply with quote
Quote:
and underage panty shots is nothing remarkable in a country where such things can pop up even in kid-friendly family shows.

ugh, what? care to explain more precisely what you refer to, because that is hardly normal oO
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:33 am Reply with quote
I'm left scratching my head at this review. One the one hand, it basically states "It's a lolicon show", but on the other, it tries to justify a story.

Sorry, but not buying it. It is a lolicon show and there's no amount of "aww, look. Mommy still loves me." going to make up for the fact a 23+ year old man told a 10 year old girl he's in love with her.

I'm pretty tolerant of the "cutesy panty shots because little girls are little girls" (though I can never justify a defense for the spread-eagle shot of Lotte when she ran into the prince), but I drew the line at this blatant "Screw you" scene between Naoyo and Lotte.

I wouldn't recommend this pile of shit to anyone, regardless if they're part of the targeted demographic or not.

Anyone who can "get off" to this series will probably have a great future ahead of them.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:00 am Reply with quote
I need to finish watching the last four episodes of this series. I've liked what I saw so far, but I would like to finish what I started. I wasn't bothered by the lolicon elements since I generally am pretty open towards it with a few exceptions.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Splitter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:31 am Reply with quote
Rie Kugimiya syndrome* strikes again. The conflict they contrived out of nowhere in the last two episodes pissed me off probably more than the fact that a 23-year-old guy confessed his love for a little girl. I was livid to know they had decided to do absolutely nothing with the fact that spoiler[Asuha is the queen's illegitimate daughter]. So, so much potential absolutely wasted.

*Rie Kugimiya syndrome - When Rie Kugimiya is the lead in a late-night anime show, regardless of how it may interrupt, contradict, or outright destroy plot elements and/or characterization, the male lead must always fall in love with her.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:39 am Reply with quote
Does not Hayate the Combat Butler refute the Rie Kugimiya Syndrome? I don't know if it was a late-night show, though.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:03 am Reply with quote
I'd argue that simply being "the lead" is what makes the male lead fall in love with her. There are plenty of shows where Kugimiya is not the lead and thus doesn't have the male lead fall in love with her. Although Akane-iro ni Somaru Saka definitely refutes such syndrome, though it is a horrible show.
mad mac

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:36 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I'd argue that simply being "the lead" is what makes the male lead fall in love with her. There are plenty of shows where Kugimiya is not the lead and thus doesn't have the male lead fall in love with her. Although Akane-iro ni Somaru Saka definitely refutes such syndrome, though it is a horrible show.

Basically this. I'm left scratching my head at how many people watch romantic comedies and convince themselves that the male/female leads won't be paired off more then 90% of the time. If you don't like the leads, take that into consideration when deciding to watch the show! I know I do.

Quote:
Does not Hayate the Combat Butler refute the Rie Kugimiya Syndrome? I don't know if it was a late-night show, though.

Hayate the Combat Butler is still a very long ways off from ending, but Hayate (eventually) falling for Nagi is at the very least a strong possibility. Those two are only three years apart though, so whatever*.

*Also, Nagi has arguably the most character development over the course of the series. There's almost 200 chapters of material that haven't been covered by the anime yet, so suffice to say that a lot of stuff happens.

(I'm not sure why I'm posting on this thread when I gave up on this show after about the third episode. Waaay too icky for me.)
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:42 am Reply with quote
mad mac wrote:
Basically this. I'm left scratching my head at how many people watch romantic comedies and convince themselves that the male/female leads won't be paired off more then 90% of the time. If you don't like the leads, take that into consideration when deciding to watch the show! I know I do.

Except that it was far from clear that Astarotte's Toy was going to be a "romantic" comedy, especially for somebody like me who hasn't read the manga. And the early episodes really seemed to indicate that the show was going in a Hayate the Combat Butler direction where the brat would have a one-way crush on the male lead (notwithstanding the possibility that Hayate may eventually go there, but even if it does, the difference in ages between Hayate and Nagi is no where near as extreme as between Lotte and Naoya).
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:57 am Reply with quote
mad mac wrote:
I'm left scratching my head at how many people watch romantic comedies...

Lotte's Toy is now a romantic comedy?

Oh hell no. It was never described as such by anything I've read. If anything, it's premise was to get Lotte to the point she's no longer afraid of guys.

I expected a crush on Lotte's part, not a future sexual offender list entry from the male lead.

The ironic part about all this is the fact the implied sucking by a 10 year old succubus is now the least offensive part of this series.
mad mac

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:59 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Except that it was far from clear that Astarotte's Toy was going to be a "romantic" comedy, especially for somebody like me who hasn't read the manga. And the early episodes really seemed to indicate that the show was going in a Hayate the Combat Butler direction where the brat would have a one-way crush on the male lead (notwithstanding the possibility that Hayate may eventually go there, but even if it does, the difference in ages between Hayate and Nagi is no where near as extreme as between Lotte and Naoya).

I'm not arguing with you there. (Heck, I like Hayate/Nagi as a couple, assuming she ages a little first) but one of the reasons I dropped Astarottes Toy early was because I had a feeling it would go down this path.

I'm just saying you have to be at least a little suspicious about these set-ups, is all.

Quote:
Lotte's Toy is now a romantic comedy?

Oh hell no. It was never described as such by anything I've read. If anything, it's premise was to get Lotte to the point she's no longer afraid of guys.

I expected a crush on Lotte's part, not a future sexual offender list entry from the male lead

How many times do I have to say I was responding generally rather then about this show in particular? I have very little to say specifically about Lotte's Toy because it was super-squicky and I dropped it like a hot potato.
Eivion

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:40 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Rie Kugimiya syndrome

You people should be watching Gintama. She isn't playing a tsundere, and there is no romance involved with her character.
Anymouse

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:42 am Reply with quote
Loli fan service premise leads to loli as a plot. News at 11.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3