• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Academy Awards Changes Voting Rules for Best Animated Feature Category

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:09 pm Reply with quote
If this actually changes the game for Anime feature films then I eat my hat because I seriously doubt that this "change" will help. Rolling Eyes
FloozyGod

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:12 pm Reply with quote
I want Your Name. to WIN NEXT YEAR!!!!!!!
doubleO7

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:50 pm Reply with quote
FloozyGod wrote:
I want Your Name. to WIN NEXT YEAR!!!!!!!

It was already submitted this year, and I don't think films can be submitted more than once.

Let's be realistic here though. A back-end nomination was the best it could've hoped for. There's not a snowballs chance in hell it would've actually won over last year's pretty solid (and significantly more mainstream and heavily-promoted) Disney offerings.
boznia

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Sounds like it's going to make things worse than better for anime films. Oh well.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:00 am Reply with quote
doubleO7 wrote:

Let's be realistic here though. A back-end nomination was the best it could've hoped for. There's not a snowballs chance in hell it would've actually won over last year's pretty solid (and significantly more mainstream and heavily-promoted) Disney offerings.

Real shame because I felt like all of those shows, especially Zootopia, were really generic and lackluster.

The REAL change they need is to have everyone that votes actually watch ALL the nominations. That upsets me so much that they vote without doing so.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:23 am Reply with quote
This will definitely make things harder for any smaller studio/foreign films to be noticed in a much larger voting pool. Since most voters in the old pool are already involved in some manner with the animation business, they are open to seeing more interesting outliers in the bunch, and more likely to treat them seriously when their target audience isn't just kids.

Opening up the nomination selection to a much bigger crowd means two things. One, its simply going to be harder to beat the money for marketing/promotion that bigger studios have at their disposal. Smaller studios such as GKids or Laika already have an uphill battle, which just got steeper (I was seriously surprised how many people thought Funimation had a shot of getting a nomination last year, given their on-record number of screeners and promotional costs). Two, studios like Dreamworks, Illumination, Blue Sky etc... will most likely benefit and have an easier time getting more nominations since they simply have more exposure. A voter who already has to watch a bunch of other films for the main awards, on average will probably not care to take the time to give smaller films a chance (and they only need to meet a certain quota anyway).

The president of GKIDS made an interesting comment recently about this, how no one treats the Best Picture nominees as if they should be the highest-grossing, most popular movies of the year, and animation shouldn't be any different (unfortunately to many people, it is).
xchampion

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:38 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

Real shame because I felt like all of those shows, especially Zootopia, were really generic and lackluster. .

I understand its your opinion but I've heard far too many butt hurt anime elitists saying all the nominated films were trash last year all because their favorite anime film wasn't nominated/win. Give me a break. I could say Your Name was generic and lackluster because it used a old and tired plot device of two people switching bodies. Which it isn't, and neither was Zootopia or the other nominated films.
ZODDGUTS

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:10 am Reply with quote
In This Corner of the World is a better film than Your Name, hopefully that film gets nominated. Might have a chance since the latest Dreamworks film is mediocre, no Disney CG film and one Pixar film this year.
ShounnickMD

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:24 am Reply with quote
Doubt this will help with our community in particular. Anime is such a niche in the west, and the style is very frowned upon by critics.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:43 am Reply with quote
ZODDGUTS wrote:
In This Corner of the World is a better film than Your Name, hopefully that film gets nominated. Might have a chance since the latest Dreamworks film is mediocre, no Disney CG film and one Pixar film this year.

Two Pixar movies; there's Cars 3 and Coco.

As for this whole thing, we'll have to see what exactly happens. But let's be honest - what really needs updating is the YOI Awards.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:06 am Reply with quote
Frankly, if these are the same voters who picked movies like Moonlight for Best Picture, then I think anime can only be helped by having them join the pool.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:46 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Variety's report stated that the change was made to compensate for a historically low voter turnout for the category.

"Our annual exercise in reflexive back-patting is insufficiently representative! Henceforth, let us ensure there is a greater mandate for the exact same result."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:15 am Reply with quote
KitKat1721 wrote:
This will definitely make things harder for any smaller studio/foreign films to be noticed in a much larger voting pool. Since most voters in the old pool are already involved in some manner with the animation business, they are open to seeing more interesting outliers in the bunch, and more likely to treat them seriously when their target audience isn't just kids.

There is, however, the inversion, in that most of the current voters for Best Animated Picture are in the animation business, and that means they're also more likely to be dead-set in their ways. They read The Illusion of Life and were taught the Seven Principles, and that is what they'll look for. Anime uses these Seven Principles too, but in a different way, some more exaggerated and some more subdued than what is expected of western animation.

What this means is that while there will be plenty of voters who might see an anime film and be intrigued by its different use of animation techniques, there will also be plenty of voters who see that different use and be annoyed at that.

Opening it up to a wider group of voters will put an emphasis more on the screenplay and overall presentation, and there may be voters outside of the animation pool who like those outliers.

As for the idea that the studios that shout the loudest will be heard the most, yeah, I can't argue with that.
Fhoo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:53 am Reply with quote
Well it can't possibly be any worse than a process where half of the voters either opt out because they haven't seen any of the movies or just pick the Disney movie because it's Disney.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:10 am Reply with quote
This category is straight-up the "Kids' Oscar". If anything, they ought to just restrict voting to under-18 relatives of academy members, since many voters have already acknowledged that they just let their grandkids vote this category. FTS.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3