• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Berserk: Why Griffith is the Perfect Villain

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:05 am Reply with quote
If it was not for Griffith, Ganishka would of conquered Midland.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:47 am Reply with quote
I've always thought that Griffith chose his actions, even with all the talk of fate and causality. The main reason why I came to hate him so much is because I felt like he chose to follow an evil path, even when he came to care about certain people to varying degrees. If he had only ever used others, I'm not sure that there would have been such a sense of betrayal.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:57 am Reply with quote
Excellent article! I've never really gotten into Berserk; I've only seen the recent movies. But I might have to check it out. On a side note, I've recently become more interested in Star Wars and reading this article reminded me of Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vadar.
FackuIkari

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:02 am Reply with quote
I just want see Guts cutting the little bitch in half with the Dragonslayer
Gemnist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:29 am Reply with quote
Am.... am I reading that title right?

And let's be honest: Griffith killed the Band of the Hawk because Guts-senpai didn't notice him.
Takamachi Ryoko

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:32 am Reply with quote
I never thought that I'd see a meme from Berserk gets a long article explaining Griffith's motivation. Just hope that this won't trigger anyone.
青白

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:35 am Reply with quote
I finished up the first hundred or so chapters of Berserk just yesterday, so this article came at a really good time. And that title really cracked me up too! It was hilarious people juxtaposing "Griffith did nothing wrong" statement in images of him spoiler[raping Casca]. The irony.
Marzan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Interesting read. I'm surprised that you managed to avoid discussing the undertones of Guts' and Griffith's relationship which was quite discussed back in the day.

I do wonder if we'll ever get a conclusion to the story at the pace Miura is releasing this.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:46 pm Reply with quote
This article is absolutely pointless because absolutely nothing can justify what was done to Casca, and the fact the article tip toes around what was done to Casca is BS.

You might as well try and write an article justifying dictators and mass murderers around the world.
xchampion

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:02 pm Reply with quote
青白 wrote:
I finished up the first hundred or so chapters of Berserk just yesterday, so this article came at a really good time. And that title really cracked me up too! It was hilarious people juxtaposing "Griffith did nothing wrong" statement in images of him spoiler[raping Casca]. The irony.

It's funny because I would have agreed with this well written article except for that in fact happened. That right there is what makes Griffith so horrible and dispicable. I just want spoiler[ Casca back to normal dammit ].
Wyvern

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:04 pm Reply with quote
ME BEFORE READING THE ARTICLE:

"He did nothing wrong, eh? It's going to be interesting to see how the author justifies Griffith raping Casca, easily his single most infamous act in the entire series. I'm excited to hear her argument!"

ME AFTER READING THE ARTICLE:

"Oh, she's just...not going to address it at all. That's...um...super gross and kind of undermines the entire argument of the article. Good...job?"
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
ME BEFORE READING THE ARTICLE:

"He did nothing wrong, eh? It's going to be interesting to see how the author justifies Griffith raping Casca, easily his single most infamous act in the entire series. I'm excited to hear her argument!"

ME AFTER READING THE ARTICLE:

"Oh, she's just...not going to address it at all. That's...um...super gross and kind of undermines the entire argument of the article. Good...job?"

Seriously. I'm all for interesting articles on ANN, but this is horrible click bait trash. Who approved of this crap?
D00dleB0Y

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Edit: thanks for the title change. Sorry for my profanity as well. For anyone interested, feel free to read the article. I skimmed through it and is more in line with the new title.

I didn't read this ****. I recommend no one else does either, as everyone in the comments who did read through this mentioned that Casca's rape isn't mentioned. That alone is what should have been explained from the get-go.

Save your time and don't read this. Trust me.

Last edited by D00dleB0Y on Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:54 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:28 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure Casca's rape wasn't mentioned because the article assumes knowledge of the events of the eclipse on the part of the reader. Moreover, I don't think the article was actually a moral argument attempting to vindicate Griffith's actions, but an argument that they were the product of human fragility rather than comic-book style evil machinations. Griffith is a tragic character - I don't think that makes him or his actions any less despicable.

Last edited by 鏡 on Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
CaRoss

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:35 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
This article is absolutely pointless because absolutely nothing can justify what was done to Casca, and the fact the article tip toes around what was done to Casca is BS.

^^^^This completely.

The fact that this article says almost nothing about Griffith's actions towards Casca and the effect of those on his character and mentality are glaring omissions. It makes it sound like the Griffith apologist crap that some branches of the fandom have latched onto.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4