• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Do Publishers License Anime And Not Release It?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:17 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
This is my biggest point of frustration and, honestly, anger toward AoA. I wish they wouldn't hoard those shows. Give them to someone else, or something. It's smart business and it's clearly meant to help stem reverse importation(you can't import a region 1 disc that doesn't exist after all). But it's not good for consumers, at least collectors, at all. I've been waiting for a Mushi-shi BD as well as Samurai Flamenco, Blast of Tempest and Zvezda for years. These guys suck.

Indeed. I've recently imported several AoA titles from the UK (even though I don't strictly have a physical region-free player, just a kludged software solution), and there are a few other Australian releases I'm interested in, most notably Mushishi's second season. It's DVD-only, but it's a hell of a lot better than the load of nothing that AoA has graced us with. It's a sad thing when a licensing company can make one almost physically angry.
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:39 pm Reply with quote
^^Yeah, I've moved to importing UK and AUZ releases when possible. I have SamFlam on that short list. A region free player, or some good software is a very worthwhile investment these days.

leafy sea dragon wrote:

Greed1914 wrote:
Aniplex's decision not to physically release a number of titles is more frustrating to me than if it were most other companies. I'm sure part of the decision making process involves factoring in their prices, so it seems like streaming numbers have to be even higher than they would need to be for Funimation or Sentai in order for them to think that enough people will buy their expensive releases.

I can't help but wonder if it's because Aniplex in Japan doesn't really understand the concept of an evergreen title. The most notable older series that have been canned ever since they took back ownership, Darker Than Black and Fullmetal Alchemist, are continuous steady sellers (slow, but steady), a pattern almost never found in anime home video in Japan.

If Gotoh's statements on ANNCast and elsewhere are any indication, AoA is certainly aware of that potential. Though maybe he hasn't done a good job of conveying that to his overlords in Japan. I dunno. But I'm definitely not a fan regardless. I don't usually pirate stuff, but I have BD torrents of most of the AoA stuff I want because I can't count on a US release. I don't hate AoA for the reasons a lot of people do(price), but as someone who regularly imports, I hate how they treat the US market in general.

BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
relyat08 wrote:
I've been waiting for a Mushi-shi BD as well as Samurai Flamenco, Blast of Tempest and Zvezda for years.

Zvezda got released on DVD a while back, and apparently didn't do well enough for AoA to justify a BD release. It looks and sounds about as good as a DVD can get, though.

Yeah, I am thinking of getting the DVDs, and probably will. Just not quite the same. I feel like Zvezda would have been a reasonable seller under Funi or Sentai. Just a barebones BD at like $40. That's what that show needed. Same with Blast of Tempest. Not sure why Mushi-shi doesn't have a release though. It wouldn't be a big seller, but it has prestige and a lot of older fans are familiar with it, so it probably would have done fine with an AoA BD release. Then again, maybe not at $250....
Lobokendo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:28 am Reply with quote
Wait, so is the article screenshot used for this suggesting that Nanana's Buried Treasure got rejected because of the Terraria music? Anime hyper
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:44 am Reply with quote
There is a wiki called Lost Media. Per its "Mermaid Melody Pichi Pichi Pitch (2004 ADV Films Dub)" article, ADV got the rights in 2004 to air in America and there was even a toy licensing agreement. As ADV couldn't find a network to air it, they dropped it after dubbing every episode. TV Aichi held the dub.
Razor/Edge

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:08 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
If Sentai Filmworks can't handle Legend of the Galactic Heroes, they should have the common decency to pass it along to a company that can.

They are subtitling all 110 episodes from scratch. They probably will release it season by season, so that means 26+ episodes at a time. On top of keeping up with the latest releases that most people are actually more hyped for, it's easy to understand why this would take awhile. It's not like a typical release where they just tidy up the streaming subtitles and maybe add a dub. LotGH has never been legally available in the NA region until now.
Melicans

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:25 pm Reply with quote
I'd be quite interested in seeing a "master list" of this. One of anime that were streamed but never released, or fully licensed but never released.

penguintruth wrote:
If Sentai Filmworks can't handle Legend of the Galactic Heroes, they should have the common decency to pass it along to a company that can.

Like Amazon? Twisted Evil
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Razor/Edge wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

They are subtitling all 110 episodes from scratch. They probably will release it season by season, so that means 26+ episodes at a time. On top of keeping up with the latest releases that most people are actually more hyped for, it's easy to understand why this would take awhile. It's not like a typical release where they just tidy up the streaming subtitles and maybe add a dub. LotGH has never been legally available in the NA region until now.

It's been two years. I need my foppery and whim. Anime cry
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
TonyTonyChopper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:41 am Reply with quote
O damn i hope LOGH is still coming out ... feels weird to just have the novels released that would never have come out if it weren't for the fansubs of the anime ...
But really if you look at some other stuff that has been released LOGH would do fine many things that sentai has i woudn't even consider a best seller to begin with.
bs3311

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:19 pm Reply with quote
funny. I was talking to a friend about this topic since he's desperate for LOTGH news. And I seemed to nail every single point you made on the head when it comes to licenses not seeing the light of day yet. Plus I had an argument with some girl on facebook where Sentai has to be dubbing LOTGH. As much as I really want that wishful thinking to become a reality, the probable theory is issues on translating and potential rights searching for potential original recordings of classical music. Which aligns with another rumor that funimation gave up on LOTGH because of music rights issue. But I'd question that too since why announce the license when everything isn't set in stone? Then they'd have so much more work to do other than translating and planning the release.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:41 pm Reply with quote
bs3311 wrote:
Plus I had an argument with some girl on facebook where Sentai has to be dubbing LOTGH. As much as I really want that wishful thinking to become a reality,

But then it would be a Sentai dub. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
bs3311

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:56 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

You sound like we're still in 2010-2012. What are you huffing? Can I have some? Is Jacob Chapman your dealer? Laughing

You know I'm still grounded in reality on the fact it would be a near impossible endeavor unless Matt Greenfield comes out of cryostasis again while garbing Steven Foster by his Murse AND work with LA an New York to locate and cast Aaron Krohn, Sue Ulu, Tristian Macevery, Joe Pisano, Kurt Stoll, Amanda, Spike AND Guil Lunde along with their Houston/Dallas Familiar Talent..........or amazon funds it Twisted Evil
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:02 am Reply with quote
TonyTonyChopper wrote:
O damn i hope LOGH is still coming out ... feels weird to just have the novels released that would never have come out if it weren't for the fansubs of the anime ...
But really if you look at some other stuff that has been released LOGH would do fine many things that sentai has i woudn't even consider a best seller to begin with.

If they were dumping on it, then they wouldn't keep talking about the work they are doing on it. They would either just say that the release has been cancelled, or refuse to talk about it.

It's also important to remember that Sentai has been moving to complete season sets for many of its shows, starting last year with My Love Story. It's likely that they will be releasing LOGH in either one or two large sets, so it probably won't be released until every single episode is ready.
Punpun's ghost

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Yep, feel your pain. Had been so pleased when Sound Euphonium was licensed by AL in the UK, but since then it's just gone dead quiet, other series have shuffled through ahead of it, and it's looking increasingly likely that something has gone wrong. But will they acknowledge a problem? Not a chance. And that's the thing which gets to me. I understand that stuff can go wrong, but why can't the distributer acknowledge that and say something's happened - even if it's a 'we can't say specifically what, because we don't wish to upset things further, but we've got some issues blah blah', that would be enough. It's the ignoring the punters thing. Hell, if I did that in my work (and I'm self employed), then I'd be right up the swanny. Geh.

But thanks for this answer, dude, because it was really timely and helpful to read!
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:10 pm Reply with quote
bs3311 wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

You sound like we're still in 2010-2012. What are you huffing? Can I have some? Is Jacob Chapman your dealer? Laughing

You know I'm still grounded in reality on the fact it would be a near impossible endeavor unless Matt Greenfield comes out of cryostasis again while garbing Steven Foster by his Murse AND work with LA an New York to locate and cast Aaron Krohn, Sue Ulu, Tristian Macevery, Joe Pisano, Kurt Stoll, Amanda, Spike AND Guil Lunde along with their Houston/Dallas Familiar Talent..........or amazon funds it Twisted Evil

Well, I've never been impressed by a Sentai Filmworks English dub before, but you may have a point in that I'm not really exposed to a lot of their dubs because I don't tend to watch many shows they license unless they're on TV (Parasite's dub was mediocre, the lead couldn't act to save his life) or of very particular interest to me (Golgo 13 TV's dub, average at best).

But again, this is LoGH. I wouldn't want anything but the very, very best voice actors on this (after all, the Japanese version had just that), and when I think of the best dubs in anime, I don't think Sentai.
bs3311

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:16 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

Well, I've never been impressed by a Sentai Filmworks English dub before, but you may have a point in that I'm not really exposed to a lot of their dubs because I don't tend to watch many shows they license unless they're on TV (Parasite's dub was mediocre, the lead couldn't act to save his life) or of very particular interest to me (Golgo 13 TV's dub, average at best).

But again, this is LoGH. I wouldn't want anything but the very, very best voice actors on this (after all, the Japanese version had just that), and when I think of the best dubs in anime, I don't think Sentai.

Much as I wanna have a discussion about your opinion on Adam Gibbs, since I disagree with it. While agreeing with you on Golgo 13 (Hell, they forgot to get an actor to dub a bartenders line).
I don't wanna drastically change the forum page topic. So i'll just accept your honest (if it is since I can't tell from your past history and youtube content) opinion on not seeing much of their dubbed content.

Though I hope both of us can at least agree, that a LOTGH dub will be a challenge for anyone. Just as it is a challenge to license and release it in one piece figuratively (looking at Sailor Moon)

Now back to a related point on this topic. With Funimation doing sub sets for either poor, unwanted or to expensive to dub alongside their simuldubs AND expensive licenses I'm still pondered why they're still keeping Tatami Galaxy on a damp cobweb shelf? Unless it REALLY tanked stream wise, or maybe its in release limbo since the license I believe could expire any moment now if the 5-7 year license duration is accurate for titles like those. A release date of that would be more shocking to me Hyouka and Nichijou combined Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3